LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 259 users in the forums

Winding down the Harbaugh era...... Trust me the sky won't fall...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I WAS ON HARBAUGH'S JOCK BUT HE'S BEEN TOTALLY CHECKED OUT THIS YEAR. DEION WAS RIGHT, JOE STALEY WAS RIGHT. THE SCHEMING AND LACK OF ADJUSTMENTS AND AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL CLOCK MANAGEMENT/ILLEGAL FORMATIONS AND LACK OF IDENTITY. FOR ME I WANT A WHOLE HOUSE CLEANING. I WANT A NEW ENTIRE COACHING STAFF AND NEW GM WHO DOESN'T PUT EMPHASIS ON ACL DRAFTEES. MY GOD ARE YOU SERIOUS WITH ALL THIS REDSHIRTING CRAP???? HOW THE HELL DOES SEATTLE FIND A LUKE WILLSON IN THE 5TH ROUND AND YET HIS COLLEGE TEAMEATE VANCE MAC 2ND ROUNDER FUMBLES AND BUMBLES?

THIS NEEDS A NEW HOUSE CLEANING. START WITH A NEW TEAM PRESIDENT THEN A NEW GM AND THEN A NEW COACH.
Originally posted by 49ersJordan:
I hate fans like you. Idiotic. This team will be LOADED with talent next year and only a conservative coach (like, Harbaugh) will struggle to truly present the talent with the right schemes and philosophy's. You're ignorant. This roster isn't the Titans roster. This is a Super Bowl caliber roster in need of a coach who can actually win big games and bring a powerhouse offense every week.

When will people learn that a better defense always beats a better offense a reason why chip Kelly will never win in the pros
Originally posted by 49erfaninPA:
Even if every injured player comes back 100% in 2015, an argument can be made that the 49ers defense is no better than the 3rd best defense in the NFC West (behind SEA and AZ). If Vic goes (I'd say that's 50/50 right now, no one really knows) that's like having another major injury on defense and can't help that ranking much.

This season 5 teams from the NFC playoff field will have at least 11 wins, and 4 of those teams could get to 12 wins. 49ers have a lot of holes to fill on offense, will have an entirely new system next year, and without major restructuring on contracts are pushing the salary cap as it is already. Getting 12 wins might be tough, as will climbing over two division rivals to get there. While I live and die with the 49ers (and have every year since 1980), and I believe the 49ers will figure this out, the odds right now are not looking like they are in our favor.

You might wanna check AZ defense is in the middle not even top 10 bruh
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
I WAS ON HARBAUGH'S JOCK BUT HE'S BEEN TOTALLY CHECKED OUT THIS YEAR. DEION WAS RIGHT, JOE STALEY WAS RIGHT. THE SCHEMING AND LACK OF ADJUSTMENTS AND AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL CLOCK MANAGEMENT/ILLEGAL FORMATIONS AND LACK OF IDENTITY. FOR ME I WANT A WHOLE HOUSE CLEANING. I WANT A NEW ENTIRE COACHING STAFF AND NEW GM WHO DOESN'T PUT EMPHASIS ON ACL DRAFTEES. MY GOD ARE YOU SERIOUS WITH ALL THIS REDSHIRTING CRAP???? HOW THE HELL DOES SEATTLE FIND A LUKE WILLSON IN THE 5TH ROUND AND YET HIS COLLEGE TEAMEATE VANCE MAC 2ND ROUNDER FUMBLES AND BUMBLES?

THIS NEEDS A NEW HOUSE CLEANING. START WITH A NEW TEAM PRESIDENT THEN A NEW GM AND THEN A NEW COACH.

Switch to Decaf now.

And, by the way, ridiculous overstatement. No team, and I mean NO TEAM, fires the team president, the GM and the entire coaching staff. After one bad season. Out of curiosity, how old are you?
I think you guys are giving harbaugh too much credit. He is a good coach good motivator but he inherited a very talented team and did what a head coach who never had close to any kind of coaching experience with not enough juice to get a decent coaching staff couldn't do. He will be missed but we will survive with a healthy crew and some added talent to An already talented group we will make the playoffs next year and the next
I think Jim Tomsula will be our next coach and I like Josh MCDaniels as our OC
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
No the sky won't fall. It's just back to Erickson, Nolan, Singletary types and 2 - 14 years. But it will certainly be great for our draft position. The Draft Forum will blow up because we will have high picks every year.

I see you're still a glass is half full type of guy. Don't change.
Originally posted by Niners99:
We had the talent before Harbaugh. We had Baalke in a prominent role before Harbaugh. We had the York's before Harbaugh. We were losers. Perennial under-achievers who caused us to jump for joy over an 8 win season.

Harbaugh shows up, were SB contenders.

Harbaugh leaves? Guess whats coming back? The losing. You dont lose an ELITE coach and not notice it. Its like the Broncos replacing Manning with Osweiler. You can say "same offense, Osweiler knows how to run it too". You think the Broncos wouldnt notice the change?

Moving on from Harbaugh is an ENORMOUS mistake, and most fans wont realize it until hes gone. Somehow, some way, this organization finds a way to lose. We make the same stupid mistakes over and over again.

Baalke led one draft before Harbaugh came in. The one Singletary must have pick that year was traded shortly after.

Aldon Smith drafted, Donte Whitner brought in via FA, Ray McDonald starting, Navorro starting, Carlos Rogers brought in. Alex Boone starting at RG over Rachal, Jon Goodwin brought in.

All those things happened before Harbaugh coached his first NFL game with the niners. All key contributors to his winning.

Let's not pretend like he took over a 2-14 team with no talent or strong foundation to work with.

Besides it's all about what you've done lately. Keeping guys around because of what they did a few years ago is a great way to lose more and more games.
Originally posted by Rgonelove:
I think you guys are giving harbaugh too much credit. He is a good coach good motivator but he inherited a very talented team and did what a head coach who never had close to any kind of coaching experience with not enough juice to get a decent coaching staff couldn't do. He will be missed but we will survive with a healthy crew and some added talent to An already talented group we will make the playoffs next year and the next
I think Jim Tomsula will be our next coach and I like Josh MCDaniels as our OC

Ahmmmm why would mcdaniels do a lateral move away from a sure thing?
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Trust you? Last time I did that, I felt woozy then woke up 6 hours later with a sore ass.
If everyone is healthy next season, or at least healthier, with an average of better head coach this is still a playoff team. Way too much talent on defense, when you've got guys like Bowman and Willis coming back, Dorsey and Williams, hopefully a healthy OL, some more talent added via the draft as well as the guys that were on IR this season, they'll be fine.

• Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
srsly though, I think harbaugh might be getting too much credit for this team's success. The fist year and a half of the kap era, were successful because of Kap's speed, no one knew how to defend the read option and our great D, which was all fangio. The following year was again our great D. This year, our D has been decimated. While still in the top of the league, we would've won most of the games we lost had our D been at full strength and we'd be in the playoffs right now. Harbaugh and roman have time and time again showed their inability to make halftime adjustments, or even adjustment as to what plays to run in certain situations.
Harbaugh took a talented roster and convinced them that they could win it all - a change in outlook and Philosophy that is very important. He had an approach that most of the Players bought into, but in time, it became clear that Harbs could not adjust when the rest of the NFL figured out his game plan.

His inability to even, in 4 years, figure out how to get plays into the huddle in a timely manner is very telling to me. A symptom of larger issues.

The big concern, of course, is will the replacement have what it takes to keep the team at playoff levels. Will the players like him? What other Coaches/Coordinators will be coming in? Will the players buy into the new system? Will FA's like what they see and be interested, or will it be exclusively only if we're the highest bidders?

We may not know definitively until shortly after the Super Bowl if the next HC is currently on one of the top teams though. Harbaugh will be gone, and the fans may twist in the wind for awhile........
The main statements of Harbaugh's first press conference were: 1) I am here to win a championship and 2) we will reinstate and run the WCO. That was basically his mission and he failed on both counts (you cannot play the WCO with Kaep anyway !). Although the first three years of his tenure were great and fun to watch, this season (I wish it would be over already...) is just painful to watch (offensive offensive performance !) and to live (suspension, sexual assaults, players benching themselves...). Let's face it, Harbaugh has lost control of the team and even though he is theoretically still a very good coach, he is no longer the right fit for the 49ers. The team will be better off without him and the sky won't fall. Ideally, if Fangio could stay (as HC ?), that would be great. The big issue will be to determine what to do with the QB Harbaugh picked !?
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
srsly though, I think harbaugh might be getting too much credit for this team's success. The fist year and a half of the kap era, were successful because of Kap's speed, no one knew how to defend the read option and our great D, which was all fangio. The following year was again our great D. This year, our D has been decimated. While still in the top of the league, we would've won most of the games we lost had our D been at full strength and we'd be in the playoffs right now. Harbaugh and roman have time and time again showed their inability to make halftime adjustments, or even adjustment as to what plays to run in certain situations.

The lack of adjustments has been brutal. Harbaugh is a very good coach but some people don't seem to notice that this team is being outcoached on a game by game basis, on the offensive side. The defense got beat half to death with the injury stick and they still managed to put together a pretty good unit. The offense was deeper than its ever been and they've scored less PPG than the Singletary era 49ers.

Beyond that, this team's trend of scoring less and less points as the game goes on is pretty troubling. In the 1st half they rank in the Top 10 in the NFL in scoring, in the 2nd half they are either dead last or second to last. That's horrible and suggests that while the initial gameplan may be good, once the other team adjusts, the 49ers are done.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 23, 2014 at 6:51 AM ]
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
If everyone is healthy next season, or at least healthier, with an average of better head coach this is still a playoff team. Way too much talent on defense, when you've got guys like Bowman and Willis coming back, Dorsey and Williams, hopefully a healthy OL, some more talent added via the draft as well as the guys that were on IR this season, they'll be fine.

This is my biggest concern. This team not only had an aimless offensive approach, but the D was TORE UP. This team seriously needs to evaluate if there's anything that can be done to help avoid some of these injuries, but, personally, they all seem to stem from sheer bad luck.
Share 49ersWebzone