LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 319 users in the forums

Winding down the Harbaugh era...... Trust me the sky won't fall...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
We are coming to the end of an era. The Harbaugh era. Way more good than bad. But that's going to be the case when you take over a team that had been a perennial loser. Jim rose this team from the ashes. He made mistakes along the way, but we overlooked them because we were winning. We overlooked an offense that had redzone issues. We overlooked an offense that had a low 3rd down conversion rate. We overlooked a system that had issues getting plays in on time, creating delay of game penalties. We overlooked a passing system that lacked creativity. We overlooked all of these things because we were winning in spite of these issues.

We have been very lucky the last couple of years in regards to injuries. This year we were greatly affected. Baalke's value showed in the defensive depth that we had. Players like Borland, Quintin Dial and Tank Carradine and Parish Cox. Where Baalke failed though was on the offensive side of the ball. Offensive line injuries and lack of depth killed our year. It's never a good idea to have an offensive lineman that left his last team because he was being bullied. Jonathan Martin just doesn't belong on an NFL roster. Lack of speed at RB and WR took away our offensive effectiveness. Given our lack of speed and an offensive line that ranked 27th in pass protection, it was critical this year more than any to stick to our identity. Running the ball. Instead the coaches forced Kaepernick to not run, to sit in the pocket and tilt the balance towards throwing the football. This more than any other detail is why Roman and Harbaugh should be let go this year.

I must reiterate, for those that are screaming for the 49ers to retain Harbaugh, he lost his team. You don't lead the NFL in arrests. You don't have Culliver and his brass knuckles, or Aldon and his bomb threat or Brooks sitting and benching himself. You don't have Vernon quitting on your team go unpunished. You don't show up with an unprepared team on Thanksgiving. You can't be among league leaders in first half scoring and dead last in 2nd half scoring because you fail to make adjustments to the half time adjustments that were made against you. You don't misguide your QB to mirror your unprofessional attitude in post game pressers. The players quit believing in him. The final straw if you don't believe me, When was the last time you heard, "who's got it better than us"? However, given all of this, injuries, mistakes, missteps, we would be in the playoffs had we just stuck to our identity and run the ball.

Our team quit on Singletary because they quit believing in him as a coach. The exact thing is happening to Harbaugh now. I only see one scenario in which Harbaugh could stay, If he fired Roman and brought in a more dynamic offensive mind to run the offense. We all know that won't happen, Jim's ego won't allow it.

Bayareafanatic
[ Edited by bayareafanatic1 on Dec 22, 2014 at 11:49 AM ]
  • CMIO
Although the premise of your argument is accurate, the fear is that there are no candidates out there that would serve as better coaches than Jim Harbaugh.

If you think we can become a 12 - 13 win team with Tomsula or Josh McDaniels as our head coach, then you're only kidding yourself.
Harbaugh has been figured out. His style, tendencies and failure to adapt are his undoing. The players knew it, anyone with a background in football knew it, and the front office knew it. He may currently be the winningest coach in the NFL, but he won't remain that way for long.

This team was loaded with talent. That's what happens when you're a losing team for a decade... you accumulate first round talent. I think Harbaugh will end up being Pete Carroll. Successful in college, semi-successful in the NFL, successful in college again, then, finally successful in the NFL.
[ Edited by 16for6 on Dec 22, 2014 at 4:34 PM ]
Originally posted by 16for6:
Harbaugh has been figured out. His style, tendencies and failure to adapt are his undoing. The players knew it, anyone with a background in football knew it, and the front office knew it. He may currently be the winningest coach in the NFL, but he won't remain that way for long.

This team was loaded with talent. That's what happens when you're a losing team for a decade... you accumulate first round talent. I think Harbaugh will end up being Pete Carroll. Successful in college, semi-successful in the NFL, successful in college again, then, finally successful in the NFL.

Harbozo is know Pete Carroll. Pete Carroll has won 2 National Championships and 1 Superbowl. Jim Harbaugh has won 0 national championships and lost 1 superbowl.
No the sky won't fall. It's just back to Erickson, Nolan, Singletary types and 2 - 14 years. But it will certainly be great for our draft position. The Draft Forum will blow up because we will have high picks every year.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
2nd rate front office wants to fire a winner. meddling f'ers
Much of what you say I agree with. Ownership must also be held accountable, why did all this surface after the new Stadium was built. The Yorks doubled, tripled or quadrupled their wealth and may have thought let's sit back and count it. Harbaugh and his 8 million per year salary were a distraction. How much will they pay their next coach, my guess much less.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
No the sky won't fall. It's just back to Erickson, Nolan, Singletary types and 2 - 14 years. But it will certainly be great for our draft position. The Draft Forum will blow up because we will have high picks every year.

I hate fans like you. Idiotic. This team will be LOADED with talent next year and only a conservative coach (like, Harbaugh) will struggle to truly present the talent with the right schemes and philosophy's. You're ignorant. This roster isn't the Titans roster. This is a Super Bowl caliber roster in need of a coach who can actually win big games and bring a powerhouse offense every week.

And all that will happen with one of the best D's in the League. Amazing. Actually you ought, just for the experience, to remind yourself what the roster looked like under TDon and Erickson. Then check through ours. No way will this team fall to 2-14 under a coach of any ability at all next year unless we are even more crippled by injuries.

Playoffs in 2015.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by bayareafanatic1:
We are coming to the end of an era. The Harbaugh era. Way more good than bad. But that's going to be the case when you take over a team that had been a perennial loser. Jim rose this team from the ashes. He made mistakes along the way, but we overlooked them because we were winning. We overlooked an offense that had redzone issues. We overlooked an offense that had a low 3rd down conversion rate. We overlooked a system that had issues getting plays in on time, creating delay of game penalties. We overlooked a passing system that lacked creativity. We overlooked all of these things because we were winning in spite of these issues.

We have been very lucky the last couple of years in regards to injuries. This year we were greatly affected. Baalke's value showed in the defensive depth that we had. Players like Borland, Quintin Dial and Tank Carradine and Parish Cox. Where Baalke failed though was on the offensive side of the ball. Offensive line injuries and lack of depth killed our year. It's never a good idea to have an offensive lineman that left his last team because he was being bullied. Jonathan Martin just doesn't belong on an NFL roster. Lack of speed at RB and WR took away our offensive effectiveness. Given our lack of speed and an offensive line that ranked 27th in pass protection, it was critical this year more than any to stick to our identity. Running the ball. Instead the coaches forced Kaepernick to not run, to sit in the pocket and tilt the balance towards throwing the football. This more than any other detail is why Roman and Harbaugh should be let go this year.

I must reiterate, for those that are screaming for the 49ers to retain Harbaugh, he lost his team. You don't lead the NFL in arrests. You don't have Culliver and his brass knuckles, or Aldon and his bomb threat or Brooks sitting and benching himself. You don't have Vernon quitting on your team go unpunished. You don't show up with an unprepared team on Thanksgiving. You can't be among league leaders in first half scoring and dead last in 2nd half scoring because you fail to make adjustments to the half time adjustments that were made against you. You don't misguide your QB to mirror your unprofessional attitude in post game pressers. The players quit believing in him. The final straw if you don't believe me, When was the last time you heard, "who's got it better than us"? However, given all of this, injuries, mistakes, missteps, we would be in the playoffs had we just stuck to our identity and run the ball.

Our team quit on Singletary because they quit believing in him as a coach. The exact thing is happening to Harbaugh now. I only see one scenario in which Harbaugh could stay, If he fired Roman and brought in a more dynamic offensive mind to run the offense. We all know that won't happen, Jim's ego won't allow it.

Bayareafanatic

Congratulations !! An absolutely fantastic, succinct and to the point summary !! I couldn't have put it any better.

We had the talent before Harbaugh. We had Baalke in a prominent role before Harbaugh. We had the York's before Harbaugh. We were losers. Perennial under-achievers who caused us to jump for joy over an 8 win season.

Harbaugh shows up, were SB contenders.

Harbaugh leaves? Guess whats coming back? The losing. You dont lose an ELITE coach and not notice it. Its like the Broncos replacing Manning with Osweiler. You can say "same offense, Osweiler knows how to run it too". You think the Broncos wouldnt notice the change?

Moving on from Harbaugh is an ENORMOUS mistake, and most fans wont realize it until hes gone. Somehow, some way, this organization finds a way to lose. We make the same stupid mistakes over and over again.
Originally posted by English:

And all that will happen with one of the best D's in the League. Amazing. Actually you ought, just for the experience, to remind yourself what the roster looked like under TDon and Erickson. Then check through ours. No way will this team fall to 2-14 under a coach of any ability at all next year unless we are even more crippled by injuries.

Playoffs in 2015.
Even if every injured player comes back 100% in 2015, an argument can be made that the 49ers defense is no better than the 3rd best defense in the NFC West (behind SEA and AZ). If Vic goes (I'd say that's 50/50 right now, no one really knows) that's like having another major injury on defense and can't help that ranking much.

This season 5 teams from the NFC playoff field will have at least 11 wins, and 4 of those teams could get to 12 wins. 49ers have a lot of holes to fill on offense, will have an entirely new system next year, and without major restructuring on contracts are pushing the salary cap as it is already. Getting 12 wins might be tough, as will climbing over two division rivals to get there. While I live and die with the 49ers (and have every year since 1980), and I believe the 49ers will figure this out, the odds right now are not looking like they are in our favor.
Absolutely critical we find a new Head Coach that can convince Fangio to stay so we are only having to re-tool one side of the ball we need the consistency on defense if we are to return to the playoffs in 2015
I hate seeing Harbaugh leave but I hope Roman is carrying his bags out the door

Why is our only option Jim Harbaugh (the greatest coach to ever wear khakis) or Dingleberry, the worst of all-time. Why is it always the extreme?

Is it not possible to hire a solid HC?
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

Why is our only option Jim Harbaugh (the greatest coach to ever wear khakis) or Dingleberry, the worst of all-time. Why is it always the extreme?

Is it not possible to hire a solid HC?

This. People are so dramatic. Great HCs aren't exactly common, but let's at least wait until the person is hired and has some time under his belt before we assume we are going back to the dark years.
Share 49ersWebzone