LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 273 users in the forums

The offense has never been fixed

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
would've had so much more success had we just stuck with the read option.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
I really was hoping the Niners weren't going to sign Kaep to an extension before the season and let things play out. They could have taken someone like Jimmy Garoppolo in the 2nd/3rd round as a backup and let Kaep play the year out. Now we are stuck with guy who is closer to Vick than to Marino.

It is hard for an offense to flourish when you have a running QB trying to be a real QB.

That was exactly my plan all along. Kap already showed his issues last season and I certainly wasn't buying it.

Jimmy Garoppolo was a fantastic prospect and now this year we are supposed to have a weak QB class, is just not ideal. But, we just don't have a choice, we will just have to keep drafting QBs until we get it right. Kap has already hit his ceiling. The only way to get some production out of him in the meantime is to go back to playing him as a running QB.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

seattle hasn't gotten away from it
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

You definitely don't watch Seattle if you think that is why they are good. Russell Wilson is 10 times the QB of Kap. Can read a defense at the line of scrimmage, make adjustments, go through reads and progressions, throws an super accurate ball, scrambles mostly to buy more time to throw and kills you on those scramble throws for big plays.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
You definitely don't watch Seattle if you think that is why they are good. Russell Wilson is 10 times the QB of Kap. Can read a defense at the line of scrimmage, make adjustments, go through reads and progressions, throws an super accurate ball, scrambles mostly to buy more time to throw and kills you on those scramble throws for big plays.

Can't argue with that. Wilson has proved it beyond a shadow of a doubt. Film don't lie. Sucks to hear, but it's true.

I still love Kap. Maybe the 2012 version could stack up to Wilson, but not this current version.

Going back and watching NFL rewind of those 2012 games, it's like Kap was a completely different player back then. Dude looked so comfortable and confident. And it wasn't all read option stuff, it was actually very little of that during the regular season. He was just playing good football. We need that Kap back.
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SofaKing:

Can't argue with that. Wilson has proved it beyond a shadow of a doubt. Film don't lie. Sucks to hear, but it's true.

I still love Kap. Maybe the 2012 version could stack up to Wilson, but not this current version.

Going back and watching NFL rewind of those 2012 games, it's like Kap was a completely different player back then. Dude looked so comfortable and confident. And it wasn't all read option stuff, it was actually very little of that during the regular season. He was just playing good football. We need that Kap back.

The thing that strikes me about that season is that he was making multiple reads and although Crabtree was getting a huge number of receptions, he was spreading it about to Vernon, Walker and Moss when they were open and available.

The biggest difference to me between then and now (and I believe Kap has had a bad season) is more related to the scheme. Moss and Vernon gave us two deep threats leaving Crabtree one on one on short to intermediate routes and Walker was often wide open. We lost Moss and never replaced him with a legitimate, speedy, deep threat and we moved away from the half-back role Walker had to a full back who we've rarely engged (until recently) in the passing game. It's made our offense very one dimensional. We have three WRs in Crabtree, Boldin and Stevie who occupy the same role.

With Vernon disappearing all season, the lack of an outside deep threat WR we can put on the field nearly every down has really hurt us and allowed defenses to scheme us much more easily. Moss commanded over the top help, Lloyd does not. With Vernon and Moss on deep routes it was hell for a defense to cover all the routes and options.
Originally posted by Buchy:
The thing that strikes me about that season is that he was making multiple reads and although Crabtree was getting a huge number of receptions, he was spreading it about to Vernon, Walker and Moss when they were open and available.

The biggest difference to me between then and now (and I believe Kap has had a bad season) is more related to the scheme. Moss and Vernon gave us two deep threats leaving Crabtree one on one on short to intermediate routes and Walker was often wide open. We lost Moss and never replaced him with a legitimate, speedy, deep threat and we moved away from the half-back role Walker had to a full back who we've rarely engged (until recently) in the passing game. It's made our offense very one dimensional. We have three WRs in Crabtree, Boldin and Stevie who occupy the same role.

With Vernon disappearing all season, the lack of an outside deep threat WR we can put on the field nearly every down has really hurt us and allowed defenses to scheme us much more easily. Moss commanded over the top help, Lloyd does not. With Vernon and Moss on deep routes it was hell for a defense to cover all the routes and options.

Totally agree with your assessment.

Back in 2012, we had the personnel to make the defense worry about the entire field, horizontally and vertically. Even though the reception totals for Moss, Walker, and Davis were modest, opponents had to respect their ability to make plays on all levels. Manningham was also very effective that year, hauling in a high % of passes thrown his way, and Crabtree was a legit #1 that season. Not to mention the o-line was hands down the top unit in the NFL.

We've never been able to put together a personnel grouping that rivals that one. We have good individual players now, but their skills are a bit redundant, and that versatility we had is missing. The o-line has taken a beating, Davis and Crabtree have dropped off in a big way, and we're missing the swiss-army knife like Walker. He was an awesome chess piece to have for this scheme.

Draft failures in Jenkins, James, and McDonald hurt big time. These guys were supposed to add the speed and versatility that was lost from 2012, but they didn't pan out.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

I watch Seattle all the time. I said they haven't scrapped the read option. I don't know what the f**k you're talking about.
Originally posted by SofaKing:

Kap was deadly accurate back then. Not so much anymore. In fact, wasn't he one of the highest rated QBs when throwing past 10 yards?

Dude was confident, had a presence about him that he now lacks. I miss that player.
49ers shoulda canned Roman midseason this season. The scheme in 2012 plus personnel Moss & Walker kept defenses honest and Moss still concerned defenses. Anyone notice NO 49er receiver can get separation since Moss retired.

Share 49ersWebzone