LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 270 users in the forums

Losing the last 2 games of the year

Shop Find 49ers gear online
As this long season winds down, I like many of you are already numb to losing so many games than we are use to. I am not for once saying the Niners should lose out, but I wouldn't be as mad if they did. The season is already labeled a failure, and I know we are going for the "end on a positive note" deal, but think about it, we lose out on the last two games, we will have a much better draft position at 7-9 than 9-7. Just thinking about our future. What do you all feel about the Niners record at the end of the season?
I remember these types of threads from te dark ages. Most notably the lets lose the las t two games so we can raft Reggie Bush thread. Realistically its nit gonna happen. The players have alot of pride and o tank the game purposely would be out of the question. But there is a realistic chance they do lose the two games and finish in the NFC west cellar if the Rams win out.
The offseason started when we lost to the Raiders. From this fans perspective I am about what improves our chances of improving the overall talent on the team and don't see how winning the last 2 games is anything but bad....as a fan......I am sure the players and coaches feel differently.
It's much better if we are 7 - 9 than 9 - 7. We have absolutely nothing at all to win for in the last 2 games.

If we play offense like we normally do all season we got a great shot at losing the last 2.....
  • CMIO
I never favor losing, but the only thing that worries me is IF we blow out the Chargers and Cardinals, team management starts thinking "hey, we may be on to something here".

I DO NOT want the continuation of the same next year. We need a new OC, and if winning out means Jed starts thinking twice about keeping Roman, then Id rather we get beat down the next 2 weeks. That'll seal his fate.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
It's much better if we are 7 - 9 than 9 - 7. We have absolutely nothing at all to win for in the last 2 games.

If we play offense like we normally do all season we got a great shot at losing the last 2.....

I do not see this team quitting. They will not lie down for any NFL team. They will give it their all, 100%, for these final two games. With that said, the 49ers will fight valiantly, but will lose these final two games. But it won't be because they quit. It will be because I doubt they can muster more than 10 points in either game.
They won't try to lose the last 2 games. They just will because this offense is too pathetic to change at this point. I'd be pissed if
they DID score a ton of points and whooped either the Chargers or the Cardinals in these last two games. Because then the question
is this. Where was that offense all year? Assuming there isn't a plethora of defensive TD's in these last 2 contests. But this is
the 49ers offense for 2014, not dynamic, poorly schemed, disorganized, untimely, unprofessional. So to think we are going light it
up these last two games is naive. Even if we win it'll be the same ole 19-17 bullsh** we've been seeing all season long.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

I do not see this team quitting. They will not lie down for any NFL team. They will give it their all, 100%, for these final two games. With that said, the 49ers will fight valiantly, but will lose these final two games. But it won't be because they quit. It will be because I doubt they can muster more than 10 points in either game.

I think they are good for about 7 in each game. Which should lead to a loss in both games. LOL. And thus lead to a better draft pick.
Originally posted by CMIO:
I never favor losing, but the only thing that worries me is IF we blow out the Chargers and Cardinals, team management starts thinking "hey, we may be on to something here".

I DO NOT want the continuation of the same next year. We need a new OC, and if winning out means Jed starts thinking twice about keeping Roman, then Id rather we get beat down the next 2 weeks. That'll seal his fate.

Don't forget about Cassie Baalke's tweet. I think Greg Roman has half his sh*t packed up already. But I see how you would like extra emphasis
on his exit though. Let there be no doubt that he is leaving. He sucks donkeys!!
I want to put on the field the young guns. Carradine Dial Johnson Patton Ellington Hyde etc. Just to see what we have with those players. If that's 2 more lose I will be ok...

This team has too much pride and too many veteran players to lose intentionally for the purposes of draft positioning. And I for one, would love for us to win out. But the two teams that we will be playing will definitely bring their A games, so tank or not, we may not win out haha.
Originally posted by WINiner:
The offseason started when we lost to the Raiders. From this fans perspective I am about what improves our chances of improving the overall talent on the team and don't see how winning the last 2 games is anything but bad....as a fan......I am sure the players and coaches feel differently.

Totally agree on all counts.
Originally posted by Elrossoneri:
I want to put on the field the young guns. Carradine Dial Johnson Patton Ellington Hyde etc. Just to see what we have with those players. If that's 2 more lose I will be ok...

Yeah, I'm w/you on that.

The more real game experience they get the better they'll be as players and we can see what we have going into the draft.
Put the youn guy in. Try some thing new for next year. Almost as if a preseason game. I don't want the Hawks to get home fields so if we lose to the cards if it matters won't matter to me.
I am not advocating that the players will lose intentionally. What I'm trying to say is that as big of a fan that I am, I wouldnt mind seeing the Niners lose the last two games of the season to better our chance in the draft. I'd rather have a chance at bringing in a better talent at 7-9 than say sliding back 5-8 spots just to win to games that wont help this season out any longer. I think WINiner understood what I was coming at.
[ Edited by REDx85xGOLD on Dec 20, 2014 at 10:22 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone