LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 422 users in the forums

What do you think was the biggest detriment to the 49ers 2014 season?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What do you think was the biggest detriment to the 49ers 2014 season?

Originally posted by buck:
Jim Harbaugh should be on that list.

This
The season was a perfect storm along with an "exhale" after three near misses. If I had to pin one thing that kept us from the playoffs it would be Kap's regression. At the end of the day it's on the QB, he's the one that pulls the trigger.
Originally posted by eastie:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
O-Line injuries

This. The play of the O-line regressed horribly this year. Boone came back after holdout and was never the same. Davis couldn't stay on the field. We had a revolving door at center, Iupati decided to take his walk year off and our TE hurt his back. The only consistent starter was Staley -- and you've got to have more than one. It's all CK7 had.

It always begins with the o-line. It was in shambles from the get go and never got better. One thing after another made it hard for th offense to find any kind of rhythm all season long. It was a major factor in the QB's regression and certainly crippled any offensive scheme that Gro wanted to run. (Not excusing roman's utter failure this season). It all starts and ends with the o-line.

This this this this
Originally posted by 310ninerfan:
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
Two things should be added:

1.Lack of a true deep threat
2. Lack of luck we had the past two years. So many dropped interception passes thrown by kap over the last two years as well as recovering a ton of lucky turnovers. Getting lucky on so many single possession games that were basically 50/50s that could have gone either way.

I would also throw in Gore losing a step contributing but it is not a top 3 reason.
U bring up a good point on the Luck.

It is kind of obvious on that point. If we had beaten the bears, rams, and split the seahawks we would be talking about how the team is going to the superbowl again instead of questioning what went wrong. We had so much luck in the past with things like the Ted Ginn game winning return to the dropped pass by the packers db that would have iced the game for them in the playoffs. We had quarterback meltdowns on opposing teams when all they had to do was score once with a few minutes left in the game. This year we just did not have really anything go our way other than a couple of ref gifts that were offset by a couple of ref giveaways.

I do not really think kap has regressed all that much. He had a ton of lucky plays the past two years that have not bounced our way this year. Like when the packers db dropped the interception that would have knocked us out of the playoffs. That was choke moment he just got super lucky and it is remembered as one of kaeps best games.

Gore lost a step and we acquired a few receivers to help kap. Combine this with the obvious expected defense regression from injuries and haroman decided they needed to have kap have a more traditional role (the ability to quick strike with passing). The play calls were just as dumb/conservative in the past (See pitch to ginn inside own 10 yard line against rams) they just worked better because Gore was better (VD, and moss were deep threats stretching the field to some degree) and kap did not have two years of film on him.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Kap doing curls, thinking about mighty Wings, nude pics, commercials, Beats By Dre, dolphin hats and what not

Harbaugh didn't do much to help him... his arms were to big / strong that (literally) he couldn't throw a 5 yard pass less than 100000 MPH

Harbs / Krap / Big Twinkie... those 3 suck!!!
Jed not extending Harbaugh
  • Phil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Psinex:
Well, it was a pretty awful season and I had the pleasure of attending the St. Louis home game where Kaepernick fumbled the ball on the 1 yardline and failing to score the game-winning TD. My wife's first 49ers game, and that the memory she'll always carry. I suppose it would be about on par with the opening day Bears game and the Cutler-Marshall massacre of our secondary. Training Day for Jimmie Ward.

I'm curious to see which problem people think was the single biggest issue to derail the 2014 season. There are many, which I realized as I kept adding more and more options to the poll, how many problems we had this year. You can point the finger at so many things that it's hard to remember the positives like Chris Borland, Aaron Lynch and Carlos Hyde flashing some serious talent...Stevie Johnson and Antoine Bethea stepping in right away to contribute.

This morning, I earned enough points to get a signed photo from Vernon's Jamba Juice here in Santa Clara. That was kind of a cool, surprise but not as exciting as it would have been in previous years. Honestly, I think he'll bounce back if he's at full health. Unlike many, I'm not ready to cut him loose after he struggled this year.

Bears, Rams, Seattle, Raiders losses = season killers. Our QB in those games....

Our QB in those 4 losses had 11 turnovers and 3 TD's with a combined QBR of about 60. You can try to blame everyone around him for this but ultimately it falls on Kap. No amount of wishful thinking can absolve his role in the poor decisions/throws/fumbles/ints.

He simply has to be a better QB/passer or the Niners passing game will not be good. No matter who's coaching or even if he has 45 minutes to throw.

11 turnovers to 3 TD's with about an average 60 QBR in 4 losses. If we won those 4 games we'd pretty much be in the playoffs. Other players have made mistakes and play calling has been suspect but Kaps play doesn't help the o line, he makes very poor decisions even with time and simply fails to execute too often.

35% of the people in the thread will agree with me but for some reason won't speak up. Probably because they don't want to be lambasted with insults. Like the other 50% of the forum who question his long term viability.
[ Edited by Phil on Dec 19, 2014 at 8:18 PM ]
  • Phil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LVJay:
Kap doing curls, thinking about mighty Wings, nude pics, commercials, Beats By Dre, dolphin hats and what not

Harbaugh didn't do much to help him... his arms were to big / strong that (literally) he couldn't throw a 5 yard pass less than 100000 MPH

Harbs / Krap / Big Twinkie... those 3 suck!!!

I think his throwing motion impacts his short passing touch. Good for mid range bullets into tight coverage. Not good for passes which require finesse and accuracy based on finesse.

He should have played one or two more years from the bench. Rather than be thrown into the fire while also developing his passing game. I put that blame on Jim. The hot hand wasnt so hot. He went with the hot legs. Kaps legs were on fire, and that depended on a stunted passing game.

Nevada didnt prepare him for the NFL. I guess Jim didnt either. And the FO may have been a tad quick to sign him but at least they recognized the issues. Thank god. The way they formed the contract gives the team a massive advantage. Pure genius. If they just had to sign him they did it right. Can walk away anytime without breaking the bank- and the deescalators are already saving cap space.
Three things : injuries, lack of offensive adjustments for the 2014 season, play calling.
[ Edited by sdaddy101269 on Dec 19, 2014 at 8:18 PM ]
Originally posted by Phil:
Well, it was a pretty awful season and I had the pleasure of attending the St. Louis home game where Kaepernick fumbled the ball on the 1 yardline and failing to score the game-winning TD. My wife's first 49ers game, and that the memory she'll always carry. I suppose it would be about on par with the opening day Bears game and the Cutler-Marshall massacre of our secondary. Training Day for Jimmie Ward.

I'm curious to see which problem people think was the single biggest issue to derail the 2014 season. There are many, which I realized as I kept adding more and more options to the poll, how many problems we had this year. You can point the finger at so many things that it's hard to remember the positives like Chris Borland, Aaron Lynch and Carlos Hyde flashing some serious talent...Stevie Johnson and Antoine Bethea stepping in right away to contribute.

This morning, I earned enough points to get a signed photo from Vernon's Jamba Juice here in Santa Clara. That was kind of a cool, surprise but not as exciting as it would have been in previous years. Honestly, I think he'll bounce back if he's at full health. Unlike many, I'm not ready to cut him loose after he struggled this year.

Bears, Rams, Seattle, Raiders losses = season killers. Our QB in those games....

Our QB in those 4 losses had 11 turnovers and 3 TD's with a combined QBR of about 60. You can try to blame everyone around him for this but ultimately it falls on Kap. No amount of wishful thinking can absolve his role in the poor decisions/throws/fumbles/ints.

He simply has to be a better QB/passer or the Niners passing game will not be good. No matter who's coaching or even if he has 45 minutes to throw.

11 turnovers to 3 TD's with about an average 60 QBR in 4 losses. If we won those 4 games we'd pretty much be in the playoffs. Other players have made mistakes and play calling has been suspect but Kaps play doesn't help the o line, he makes very poor decisions even with time and simply fails to execute too often.

35% of the people in the thread will agree with me but for some reason won't speak up. Probably because they don't want to be lambasted with insults. Like the other 50% of the forum who question his long term viability.

Most people will just say you have zero perspective.

• Phil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
Three things : injuries, lack of offensive adjustments for the 2014 season, play calling.

When you said this durring the last game:

"Our guys need to stop acting like n****rs and play like black people". I reported it. Just to let you know.
How about the front office trying to trade Harbaugh back in February!! a*****es!
  • Phil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:

Most people will just say you have zero perspective.

lol, what are the poll results. Also, why would you say "our guys need to stop playing like n****rs and start playing like black people".

Think no one would notice you posting that? Egh?
Originally posted by JimA49ers:
This this this this

I agree with all the O-line talk. They couldn't pass protect and we couldn't rely on them falling back on mauling guys in the run game anymore. I think a combination of that at Vernon's situation (remember how bad the O looked when he was out in 2013) had the biggest impact on the offense.

Lots of other factors of course, but I think that was the main source of the problems.

35% of the people in the thraed will agree with me but for some reason won't speak up. Probably because they don't want to be lambasted with insults. Like the other 50% of the forum who question his long term viability.

Same story last year in the games we lost. This is a deep and talented roster. We win the physical matchup against most teams. When Kap plays well, we win. When he doesn't, we lose. No question about it.

But to me, Kap's struggles are a symptom of a larger issue, especially when I see almost every single player on offense is struggling and/or regressing. It seems to indicate a systematic failure, and the film analysis thread confirms it.

I have no doubt Harbaugh is a great coach. His resume speaks for itself. But I can't say the same for the majority of his assistants, who have a say in this offense. One look at their resumes and you see guys who are flat-out unqualified to hold their positions on a team with SB aspirations, especially Roman, Chryst, and Morton. These dudes are riding the gravy train. Compared to the all-star coaches we have on defense, the offensive coaching staff is laughable.
Share 49ersWebzone