LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 214 users in the forums

You are the GM, what's your plan?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I love Harbaugh, but the team needs a new face given all the crap going on, let's face it, we're not getting a new owner or a GM and one has to go, it has to be Harbs. As much as I love JH, he should have fired Roman and fixed this offense, no excuse w/all our talent not to utilize Kap right and get something from this group. Here would be my moves:

Trade Harbaugh, fire every offensive assistant except Rathamn
Promote Fangio to HC, Tomsula to DC or maybe Donatelle
Hire an OC that knows how to work w/a QB like Kap & utilize offensive weapons
Beg, plead, do whatever you have to do including giving raises if you have 2 in order to keep Cowboy and Boldin from retiring
Re-sign Gore for 1 year
Try to trade but cut if you have to VD, Brooks and Boone
Re-sign both Culliver and Cox
Extend Aldon
Let Crabtree, Iupati, Lloyd walk
Cut Dahl & J.Martin
Re-sign Skuta, Wilholte, TJE, Cook, Osgood, Ventrone to 1 year deals
Draft a speedy, stretch the field WR in round 1
Draft best pass catching TE in round 2
Draft a RB in round 3 if a good one will be available, if not, trade back into 2nd round and get one that can split carries w/Hyde
Draft a QB in round 3 or 4 to develop as a solid backup to Kap
Decide early in mini-camp who the starting center will be Kilgore or M.Martin so that the other can compete for one of the OG spots during TC
Field an OL of Staley/A.Davis at OT, Kilgore at C, and M.Martin/B.Thomas/Looney (whoever wins competition at the OG spots)
Draft a swing OT around round 4
Draft another deep threat WR around rounds 4-5 who can also return punts and kicks to compete w/Ellington
Draft safety depth
Hire someone unofficially to tutor Kap (Steve Young would be my dream) during the off season both in the classroom and to work on touch passes w/promise they will join staff once TC starts.

Win the Superbowl in our home stadium. Strip naked on national TV during celebration, issue apology the next day during a half hearted press conference in which you tell Roger Goodell he's a piece of trash.

Steal Kate Upton from Justin Verlander since she would be so impressed w/my package that wasn't covered up during the live broadcast of the SB in time.

Shoot commercial w/Janet Jackson about how both of us exposed ourselves on national TV during a SB.

Build a statue of this moment, go on Letterman and all the other late night shows to talk about it

Continue to be awesome
Sign Harbaugh to a 6 year 48 million dollar contract. Let's start with that.
Much like everyone else, I stopped reading after I saw keep Roman. Inept offensive coordinators will no longer tolerated here in San Francisco.
Originally posted by simplyfloyd:
Okay guys, I'm interested in some thought out, detailed plans for the off-season.

Here's the gig.

1) you are the GM
2) list your plans for the off season in detail (ex. Trades...brooks for? A pick? Player? etc..)
3) include the draft (not players but positions of emphasis)
4) don't use baalke logic, or what you think the 49ers would do. I want you to make the call.

If it were me.

1) I'm resigning harbaugh first. Give a new pitch, clean up the roster and give him my full endorsement.
2) keep roman,..get rid off all the extra assistance and people in the play calling mix.
3) let Crabtree walk, resign gore for 2 years (2nd year with no cap issues if cut). We have a good recover core, and we get a comp. pick for crabs.
4) keeping Brooks. let him work it out with Vic
5) Jonathan Martin is released. resign iupati, he's not had a great year so his price won't be that steep. I think we can lock him up for 5 years at a good price.
6) let Parrish go, resign culliver. Cully is younger, faster and a bit more feisty.
7) special teams!! Specifically drafting a kick returner/gunner on special teams.
8) draft: go DEEP THREAT WR,OL, & DL the first few rounds of the draft. I'm going after Amati cooper. Crabtree, Lloyd are both out the door we need a fast big WR. IM also finding a 3-4 end now that Raymac is gone and back up tackle to float staley or David if they get hurt. Also, Rb. I know we have Hyde and hunter, but I'm finding a Jamal Charles/Chris Johnson speed receiving back just to add speed to the offense.
9) with reaser, Acker and Ramsey being added this next off season the d gets a little bit of a lift. Moody and Borland have played well so those guys stay. Lynch, smith and skits are solid and productive olbs. So the defense is set.

Gore on a 2 year deal, Hyde as the bell cow, hunter as a speed back. Millard & miller as FB & H-backs.

2 new WRs with boldin, Johnson, Ellington & Patton.
Davis, carrier, and celek as tight ends. (Trading Vance during the draft...)

Staley, lupati, Martin, Boone, Davis is a good online when healthy. Looney, Thomas, and a new tackle will be a legit back up team.

Carradine, dial, Dorsey, and Williams are a great DL as long as we get some fresh pass rushing power as and End to mold.

Lbs are good, defensive backs are good and safety's are solid as well.

Special teams needs some pick up, but I think signing a returner that takes osgoods place in punts and kick off coverage would be awesome.

Nothing too wacky because I believe iur roster is very solid with exception to WR and now DL depth. Getting a crash offensive mind fixes a lot I think so that may be my biggest acquisition.

Alright fellas...let's see your ideas.

FYP
[ Edited by Jakemall on Dec 18, 2014 at 11:24 AM ]
1) Harbaugh gets shipped to the Raiders (keep him in AFC) and we either get their 1st or swap 1s and get a throw in pick, either their 2nd or 3rd.

2) This is a pipe dream but if Sean Payton were to be fired we bag him as soon as he hits the market. Otherwise I'm signing Josh McDaniels or Adam Gase. My preference of the 2 would McDaniels due to him being able to adjust his offense to his players (he transformed the Denver offense to fit around Tebow) and I think he has learned from his past mistakes there. Plus, supposedly Belichick goes to McDaniels more than any of the other coaches so what does that tell you

3) Hopefully whoever is brought in as coach keeps the current defensive staff. If Fangio, Donatell, Leavitt, Tomsula bounce then I hope the new coach switches to a 4-3 D. Starting DL = Aldon, Dorsey, Cowboy/Tank, Lynch, Starting LB = Willis, Borland, Bowman, Starting DB = Cully, Reid, Bethea, Brock.

4) FA/Trades - Keep Gore for 2 years but cut his current salary in half because he is now the #2 back. Sign Cully to a 4 year deal similar to what Brock got. Try and sign Cox on a cheap deal for 2 or 3 years. Skuta for 2 years. Do whatever it takes to keep Cowboy for another 2 years. Try and trade Lemonier and Brooks (Skuta and a late round developmental pass rusher will suffice). Bye bye Crabtree, Iupati, Brooks and VD (he is done as a Niner if he won't take a paycut. Go hard after one of these 3 in FA Maclin, Torrey Smith or Randall Cobb. Cobb would kill 2 birds with one stone as he can be our returner too! Sign Hoyer as backup QB.

5) Draft - Get Leonard Williams! After that SPEED wide receiver in round 2 followed by in no particular order QB, another speed WR (with return capability), speed RB, OL.

Offense
QB - Kap, Hoyer, Rookie
RB - Hyde, Gore, Hunter, Rookie
WR - Boldin, Johnson, FA, Ellington, Patton, Rookie
TE/H back - McDonald, Carrier, Millard
Starting OL - LT= Staley, LG = M. Martin/Looney/B. Thomas, C = Kilgore, RG = A. Davis, RT = Boone/B. Thomas
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
-If I'm GM right now right now, I'd trade JH to Oakland 30 seconds after next weeks game for either their #1 or their #2.
-Then I would FIRE Roman and change the Locks to the building.
-Then I'd hire either Holmgren,Kubiak,Gase.
-I'd do my darnest to keep Fangio but if he bolts he bolts.
-Then in FA I would target some BEEF along the OLINE and DELINE and a True CB VET.
-In the Draft I would draft a Blue Chip WR take a chance type.
-I would ask Gore to play for Vet min as a #2 back Going away tour.
-I would draft a QB like Bryce Petty in the 3rd or 4th round just to make Kaep work.

That is great lol!

This is the way to go....and I think Vic is signed thru the 2015 year.
First thing I would do is sit down with Harbaugh and let him know we would love to have you back BUT there are some changes that need to be made to the offensive staff which includes:

1) Roman: Demote him to TE coach. I believe he previously coached tight ends. If he refuses fire him. and that leads me to #2
2) Fire Mangini - Our TE production has sucked and it appears Mangini is at least part of the problem
3) Fire Morton- We have not developed our WR like we should
4) Fire Solari - I just recently jumped on this bandwagon after being on the fence for awhile. But when Drevno left the OL play declined severely and Solari has not been able to get these guys to play as a cohesive unit all year.
5) See if Harbaugh wants to stick around after these changes. If not start lining up HC candidates for interviews
6) I love Gore but we need more production from the RB position. I would encourage him to retire a Niner but if not, let him move on elsewhere.
7) Let Crab, Iupati, Boone and Lloyd leave. Crab has never been happy here. Lloyd just couldn't do what we wanted him to which is run off CB to open up the middle for Crabs, Boldin and VD. I let Iupati and Boone walk to replace them with more athletic, agile guards that can pull and run screens. this by far is the most important move to diversify the offense.
8) Draft a speed WR, Agile OGs, RB, TE, and DE
9) Resign Culliver and Cox
[ Edited by E-49er on Dec 18, 2014 at 11:38 AM ]
If I was the GM, I'd have researched the prospective HC's LAST year and be ready to go the second Harbaugh moves on. I'd explore options 1-3:
1) Harbaugh to stay for his last year WITH the caveat that we hire a new OC, install a new offense and turn it all over to him and his coaches to work with CK/personnel.
2) Encourage Harbaugh to move over to the Raiders (I wonder if the Raiders will match Michigan's contract offer), that way, it's a win-win for everyone. Draft picks!
3) If not, let him go and target my short list of HC/OC/offensive staff yesterday.

Kubiak and Gase may be my two early favorites out of the gate. The condition would be that our defense staff stays intact even if that means upping their contracts (again) of Fangio, Tomsula, Donatell, etc. Everyone stays!

Restruture targets with no guarantees ($ or playing time): Brooks, VD, Gore & J.Smith (consider cuts)

Internal personnel targets: Keep in mind that the new HC/OC will have great input into assessing our current personnel and determing who fits the system and who doesn't.

Cut: Dahl ($233,334 in dead money and $1,7M in cap savings)

Offense: (Target for resigning or restructuring current deal)
QB: Colin Kaepernick; Blaine Gabbert & Josh Johnson
RB: (Frank Gore); Carlos Hyde, Kendall Hunter, (Kendall Gaskins), Alfonso Smith & Phillip Tanner
H-Back: Derek Carrier; Asante Cleveland
TE: (Vernon Davis); Vance McDonald, Garrett Celek & Xavier Grimble
FB: Bruce Miller; Trey Millard
X: Anquan Boldin; Brandon Lloyd & Kassim Osgood
Y (SLOT): Stevie Johnson; Quinton Patton & Chuck Jacobs
Z: (Michael Crabtree); Bruce Ellington & Lance Lewis
LOT: Joe Staley; (Luke Marquardt) & Chris Martin
ROT: Anthony Davis; (Jonathan Martin)
LG: (Mike Iupati); Andrew Tiller & Fou Fonoti
RG: Alex Boone; Joe Looney & Brandon Thomas
C: Daniel Kilgore; Marcus Martin & (Dillon Farrell)

Defense:
RDE: (Justin Smith); Tank Carradine & Lawrence Okoye
LDE: Quinton Dial; (Tony Jerrod-Eddie) & Kaleb Ramsey
NT: Glenn Dorsey; Ian Williams & Mike Purcell
WILL: Aldon Smith; (Dan Skuta), Corey Lemonier & Chase Thomas
SAM: (Ahmad Brooks); Aaron Lynch & Shane Skov
MIKE: Patrick Willis; Nick Moody & Desmond Bishop
TED: NaVorro Bowman; (Michael Wilhoite) & Chris Borland
RCB: (Chris Culliver); Kenneth Acker & Cameron Fuller
LCB: Tramaine Brock; (Chris Cook), Keith Reaser & Marcus Cromartie
SLOT: Dontae Johnson; Jimmie Ward
NICKLE: (Perrish Cox); (Leon McFadden)
FS: Eric Reid; Craig Dahl & Bubba Ventrone
SS: Antoine Bethea; L.J. McCray

Special Teams:
LS: Kyle Nelson
PK: Phil Dawson
P: Andy Lee
PR/KOR: Bruce Ellington; Perrish Cox & Carlos Hyde

In the off season, here are our top needs in FA and the Draft:

Top Tier: No particular order within the tiers...
#1 HC/OC + Staff - New HC/OC with a professional offensive system and proven coaching staff (esp. QB developer). Many of the offensive picks will be based on players who fit that new system (i.e. WCO).
#2 Z WR/Dynamic Returner - This may be priority #1 for personnel. We could probably use a speedster as well as a bigger-bodied possession WR who's got top-talent to pair with Boldin/Johnson.
#3 QB - Veteran backup and hand-picked QB by the HC/OC in round 2+ to fit the offensive system and develop over time (and push CK).
#4 LCB & RCB/Dynamic Returner - This could be a top pick if Cox, Culliver & Cook take off esp. if he doubles as a dynamic returner. This could drop down a tier with the long-term signings of either Culliver, Cox and Cook (or all 3).
#5 LT & RT - You can never have too many good T's.
Second Tier:
#6 SAM - This will be a bigger priority if Brooks is cut.
#7 TED - Will need another backup if Wilhoite is gone.
#8 RB - Whether Frank stays or goes, the new HC/OC may still want to go with Hyde and will draft another RB just in case for his system.
#9 TE - We could us a tall 6'6" TE who can catch for the RZ and to split out wide.
#10 LG - Could use a push-player here.
#11 RDE - Could use a top talent here as well to be safe.

Third Tier:
# 12 NICKLE CB - It couldn't hurt to push the group we have already.

Overall: I see 14 "needs" with many being taken care of well before the draft (i.e. resignings and restructuring of our own players such as Cox, Culliver, Cook, Smith, Gore, Brooks, Wilhoite, etc.). I anticipate much cap space opening up as well for us with some of these aging players moving on and the continued development of our youth-movement. I figure by the time we get to the draft, 1/2 of these 14 needs will be shored up in FA whether in-house or outside. Translastion: This is already a stacked roster, it's now an even more experienced roster due to all the injuries this year and cheap!
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 18, 2014 at 1:00 PM ]
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran
Sit York,Paraag,Harbaugh and myself in a room and figure this mess out.This type of success doesn't happen easily.figure it out and act like adults(Jed & Paraag especially)
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by nj9er:
Keep hoarding draft picks and waste them on guys with torn ACLs, not draft or make a FA move for an explosive playmaker, feud with one of the top 5 best coaches in football and kick him to the curb for making the team respectable again.

Wonder what my ex boss was doing and realize he was part of a FO that brought in a lot of players that punished his old team over and over again and rubbed a Lombardi trophy in their faces.

Lol so true

• 9moon
  • Veteran
I'm the GM and this is my plan..

Offer Harbaugh a 3 year extension w/more power on the draft and which players stays and go.

In exchange, I will offer him a set of OC that he can chose from and will be working with.

If he doesn't like the idea, then we'll shake hands and let him walk.

I would offer the job to either Chuckie or Mike Shanahan and let them know the Tomsula is their DC for the next 2 years. They can then choose their own DC if he isn't the right guy... But while we still have the core on the D, I would keep Tomsula because I expect him to know the weaknesses and the strength of each players on the D side of the ball..

I will also turn in a sheet of my own idea regarding players I would love to get rid of via trade, walk or however possible.. I figure I will only have about 3 years to prove my worth, then the least that should happen is that we travel on the same direction..

CRABB
VERNON
GORE
BOLDIN
BOONE
IUPATI
CULLY
LLOYD
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9moon:

Offer Harbaugh a 3 year extension w/more power on the draft and which players stays and go.

In exchange, I will offer him a set of OC that he can chose from and will be working with.

I would offer the job to either Chuckie or Mike Shanahan and let them know the Tomsula is their DC for the next 2 years. They can then choose their own DC if he isn't the right guy... But while we still have the core on the D, I would keep Tomsula because I expect him to know the weaknesses and the strength of each players on the D side of the ball..

I will also turn in a sheet of my own idea regarding players I would love to get rid of via trade, walk or however possible.. I figure I will only have about 3 years to prove my worth, then the least that should happen is that we travel on the same direction..

CRABB
VERNON
GORE
BOLDIN
BOONE
IUPATI
CULLY
LLOYD
http://www.firejohnidzik.com/
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran
Gone:
Crabtree
Gore
Iupati
Culliver
LLoyd
Vernon Davis

Sign:
Knowshon Moreno: RB were pretty inexpensive last offseason, here's a 100 yard back with good hands and is an excellent blocker
Eddie Royal: Last season Baalke blew it by not going after a Devin Hester or Jacoby Jones as as return man.Royal is a good returner and slot guy
Jordan Cameron: Injuries,concussions.I know.Thats what your dealing with with Vernon right now anyway.Younger,cheaper and same upside minus the speed.
Best availbale leftover veteran center at the right price.

Draft heavy at Oline and CB

Headcoach:
Harbaugh then either Hue Jackson,Josh Mcdaniels,Bill Lazor or Todd Bowles

Build a Tarp/awning over half my stadium and concentrate and keeping people in their seats by cutting certain unneeded aspects out of Levi's(Fantasy lounge,900 restaurants,etc)

Tell Paraag to stick to contracts and not football decisions other than contracts

Remove Jed from Twitter

Get Baalke a Ricola

Make Tomsula a spokesman for Movember
Originally posted by 9moon:

CRABB
VERNON
GORE
BOLDIN
BOONE
IUPATI
CULLY
LLOYD

so your plan is to give harbaugh more power, but not let him pick his OC unless said OC is already on a list pre-determined by the gm/owner? and if he balks at it hire either one of two sb winning coaches but tell them they can only pick their DC after the d-line coach with no nfl DC exp. gets a 2 year trial period?
Originally posted by 9er2k:
Gone:
Crabtree
Gore
Iupati
Culliver
LLoyd
Vernon Davis

Sign:
Knowshon Moreno: RB were pretty inexpensive last offseason, here's a 100 yard back with good hands and is an excellent blocker
Eddie Royal: Last season Baalke blew it by not going after a Devin Hester or Jacoby Jones as as return man.Royal is a good returner and slot guy
Jordan Cameron: Injuries,concussions.I know.Thats what your dealing with with Vernon right now anyway.Younger,cheaper and same upside minus the speed.
Best availbale leftover veteran center at the right price.

Draft heavy at Oline and CB

Headcoach:
Harbaugh then either Hue Jackson,Josh Mcdaniels,Bill Lazor or Todd Bowles

Build a Tarp/awning over half my stadium and concentrate and keeping people in their seats by cutting certain unneeded aspects out of Levi's(Fantasy lounge,900 restaurants,etc)

Tell Paraag to stick to contracts and not football decisions other than contracts

Remove Jed from Twitter

Get Baalke a Ricola

Make Tomsula a spokesman for Movember
Hue and Josh McD at HC=
Bowles would not accept Fangio at DC imho. He would bring in his own guys.
Share 49ersWebzone