LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 236 users in the forums

reloading a sleeping giant

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Thirstyfor49ers14:
Let me try to get you to think! Imagine seachickens playing the 49ers and we have cut Vdavis and the chickens picked him up. Russell wilson goes back to throw and its a 70 yard touchdown! We don't have anyone who can run with him! #Think!

He would drop the ball.
I won't go as far as saying we need to rebuild this team because really... we are 7-7 and were only a goal line TD from the 1/2 yard line against the Rams at home (thanks Greg Roman) and a Kaepernick INT fest/G Roman gameplan implosion (Bears) from being 9-5.

Really though! Throw on top of that we had our defensive leaders on IR (yes, Bowman & Willis in that order). Along with Dorsey out, Brock out, I. Williams out, A. Davis out, Alex Boone might as well have been out. The biggest one being Bowman. Bowman was the best player on the field most times last year. He literally took over games.. when Patrick Willis didn't play against the Rams last year, Bowman stepped up and took over that game. He had many games like that (Candlestick INT). It's going to be nice to get him back. Pray that he's back 100%.

We went from having a ton of RB depth to now Gore/Hyde/Hunter. Gore's legs are clearly gone... and Hunter is coming back from his 2nd ACL. I'd like to see what Hyde can do behind a revamped o-line. Maybe keep Iupati but I don't think we can afford him. Alex Boone was simply atrocious. He sucks at pass protection and it seems every time I look at him on tape run-blocking, he either gets dominated or his legs crumble. Half the time doesn't even know what the play is. I hope this Brandon Thomas can be a starter.. has a lot of potential. I'd like a return to the smash mouth style of football. Beef up the guards... we are fine at tackle.. and let's start pounding the rock with Hyde! I just don't think we have the cap room to bring in a big name RB.

Praying that Justin Smith decides to play 1 more year but now that his bud R. McDonald is gone.. hope that doesn't seal his fate. I think Tank can get the job done but really needs another year under his belt.

Lastly.. V. Davis was the key to our offense all year and he was clearly not the same player. He didn't have that burst that made him so dangerous (see Kaepernick pass to Davis in Seattle). He used to be able to turn the jets on and go get balls... he didn't do that this year. I even wonder if he has lost passion for the game. He was our one deep threat and one of the main reasons why our offense struggled this year. Kaepernick just hasn't adjusted to his lack of speed. I'm fine with A. Boldin & Stevie Johnson being our # 1 & # 2 next year.. but we have to sprinkle in some speed somewhere. Whether that be Patton, Ellington, a trade or a draft pick. We must improve team speed in the offseason. Gore & Davis have slowed down.

Our defense will keep us in games once again but we have to make some improvements on the offense.
Will people stop pointing to TJE as a viable freaking option on the DL? Are you kidding me? Every time that bum is in there, I'm waiting for an OL to flat out push this guy around. I find it laughable that he's not on the practice squad and that Tank has been sitting behind him most of the year.

But I think we're heading for a rebuild, especially if Coach Harbaugh is out of here. Who has more confidence in Kap? Nooooobody. Which is why if Coach leaves, we'll be in the doldrums next year. I'm really hoping we convince Harbaugh to stay so that we can have some frickin continuity. Otherwise, it's hard to see how this ship doesn't take on more water in 2015.
[ Edited by mato49er on Dec 19, 2014 at 6:40 AM ]
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
I think this past year much of the optimism was based on Kap taking it to the next level. His maturation would overshadow any shortcomings the team had. Well, he's the 28th ranked passer in the NFL and he is clearly the main issue confronting whoever is the coach in 2015. My heart tells me he will advance, my eyes and head tell me he's not a pocket quarterback. I can't think of reloading a sleeping giant when that giant is not the same one from 2011-1013.

This.

The 1992 49ers were a different team than the one in 1990 after a dip in 1991. Before people begin to harp on who we had then or what we don't have now, outside of Jerry Rice, no one could've been certain that would get back to dominating in 1992. I will not count Steve Young because even though he won his first passing title in 1991, he was not "that guy" until a year later. Our defense was rebuilt. On offense we were bringing in Ricky Watters (unproven) and still weren't sure about Young. In a nutshell, we re-loaded.

Do I see this team being 14-2? Well it depends. If we can get a Mike Shanahan caliber of play caller, yes we can easily be 14 -2. If we get an average play caller on offense and the defense is still strong (should be with our linebackers back in tact), we will be a 9-7 to 11-5 team. To think we are going to slide is a thought to consider if the wrong move is made with coaching, but outside of that, I have no fears about it getting worse before it gets better. What people should be worried about is 2016 IF we make the wrong move at HC/OC. That is the year when the loss of key vets or age will really begin to show.

You can't even begin to compare Steve and Kap, and you cannot diminish Steve winning a passing title. Where Steve was then and where Kap is now is a chasm as wide as the Grand Canyon. Steve was reading defenses and making progressions in the pocket and will still scramble on occasion. He certainly didn't have the deer in the headlights look that Kap has, particularly in his last four games.

I want Kap to succeed, but that comparison is naive.
NO. LOL.

We are going back to the Dennis Erickson days. We will have a HC about that good in 2015 too. We got tons of problems. This team missed their window and is on the way DOWN.

I believe the opposite of this guy
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
this year is over for us unfortunately but i feel like we will bounce back strong next year and this year may be a blessing in disguise. I still hope we keep harbaugh but even if he leaves this roster is still loaded and tons of money should be freed up by exiting players to reload an already talented roster.

brooks, crabtree, iupati, possibly justin smith and gore, just cut micdonald. possibly even vernon davis, lloyd and boldin will be cut or traded. those are some sizable contracts. we have some excellent players coming back from IR next year who should be 100% and ready to go, we will have way more cap space after all these cuts to get established players in positions of need if we dont get everything we need through the draft and we have some young players ready to step into starting roles after having a redshirt or understudy year this year. Hyde and hunter will be the backs and possibly another draft pick, ellington and patton will get more playing time with more familiarity with the nfl, kap will hopefully be humbled by how this year went and get to work on his mechanics or else gabbert or the hopefully newly drafted QB we have behind him will push for the starting job (gabbert had the luxury of sitting back and learning from harbaugh all year, a luxury he didnt have in jaxoniville so i wouldnt be surprised if he looks great in the preseason next year). tank, dial and lynch will have much bigger roles next year along with some new friends through the draft.

I think things look bad now but we still have a great roster even after some of these players are gone and we wont have to completely blow up this roster, just retool it a little bit and let some of the youngsters get a shot, something that this coaching staff didnt really do. all im saying is, were gonna be just fine my brothas Go Niners

Don't take it personal, but making wholesale cuts as you suggest, won't make this team better. Donahue tried that by gutting the offense after the 2003 season... Starters, Garrison Hurst, TO, Jeff Garcia, Fred Beasley, Tai Streets, and Kyle Kosier, were all let go. The next season, the 49ers go 14 and 2, GM Terry Donahue and Head Coach Dennis Erickson are fired and the rest is history. If they do that again expect the same results. The definition of insanity... To repeat the same action expecting a different reaction every time.
[ Edited by vermonator on Dec 19, 2014 at 8:23 AM ]
This team has core players, that is why they will be OK next season.

Core players
QB Kaepernick
RB Hyde (who I think is better than gore at this point in gores career.
FB Miller
WR- Stevie Johnson-
WR Boldin
TE Vance Mcdonald
LT Staley
LG - Looney
C Kilgore
RG Boone
RT Davis

OLB Aldon Smith
OLB Lynch
ILB-Willis
ILB Bowman

RDE- Tank Carradine
NT-Dorsey/Purcell
LDE- Justin Smith (under contract and I think will play) if not TJE

SS Bethea
FS Reid
CB Culliver
CB cox.

Upgrade DL in draft and FA.

I say learn from the Packers, let Crabtree and Iupati go in FA, sign no one else that is a FA and you will get two 3rds as compensation in a year.

So the Offense is returning mostly intact. Can upgrade TE/WR in of season and back up qb
So basically cut all our talent but we will be ok because we have scrubs like Patton and Ellington waiting in the wings? You can't be serious.
NO. LOL.

We are going back to the Dennis Erickson days. We will have a HC about that good in 2015 too. We got tons of problems. This team missed their window and is on the way DOWN.

then jump off the bandwagon
If you guys think we can loose guys like Crabtee, Boldin, J. Smith, RayMac, Gore, and VD and still be successful you are delusional.

It's gonna be a down year in 2015 too unless Baalke has a monster offseason.

Originally posted by blm7754:
If you guys think we can loose guys like Crabtee, Boldin, J. Smith, RayMac, Gore, and VD and still be successful you are delusional.

Boldin J Smith and VD are under contract already in 2015. We have more than 20 talented players slotted to return from various injuries and redshirting. We have 9 draft picks to exhaust this upcoming draft. We will pick in the middle of every round. We will play the 3 seeded schedule next season. We will be in a better situation then than we are now
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by blm7754:

Boldin J Smith and VD are under contract already in 2015. We have more than 20 talented players slotted to return from various injuries and redshirting. We have 9 draft picks to exhaust this upcoming draft. We will pick in the middle of every round. We will play the 3 seeded schedule next season. We will be in a better situation then than we are now

I was responding to the original poster who suggested that we trade or cut these guys.

We COULD be in a better position than we are now. It all depends on coaching changes and how new coaches utilize the talent on our roster. Installing a new offensive system takes time and I am not optimistic that Kaepernick and our other offensive players will adapt quickly to a new offense.

So.... we'll see.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Thirstyfor49ers14:
Let me try to get you to think! Imagine seachickens playing the 49ers and we have cut Vdavis and the chickens picked him up. Russell wilson goes back to throw and its a 70 yard touchdown! We don't have anyone who can run with him! #Think!

He would drop the ball.

This new Vernon Davis for a 70 yard TD versus ANYONE...
Originally posted by sreese:

If this was 2011, maybe. haha
Originally posted by JedYorkie:
Originally posted by sreese:

If this was 2011, maybe. haha
It's also as if that first hit from Kam Chancellor a couple a years ago, he died right there on the field, and came back to life a minute after as someone else.
Share 49ersWebzone