LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 318 users in the forums

reloading a sleeping giant

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by nj9er:
Baalke put a bullseye on his back with the handling of Harbaugh. If he doesn't get the right coach and has a subpar draft I can see this team finishing under .500.

My thoughts by group:
DL- Replacing Cowboy is a big task. He allows us to get to QB with only 3 or 4 rushers and compliments Aldon very well. We may still be a good DL with Dorsey, Williams, Carradine, TJE, & Dial but nowhere near as dynamic without Justin.

LB- solid group Willis, Bowman, Borland, Brooks, Lynch, Aldon - no worries

CB- Culliver & Cox are FA- Brock may play next year but if we cant get it done on DL this good CBs can be exposed - Ward has to come through.

OL- Should be ok to good - Staley, Davis, healthy Center, Boone- most likely a new guard will be brought Thomas - will need to draft a tackle first few rounds and a guard later- our lack of depth at tackle was exposed and exploited this year.

WR- Crabs can go will be over paid in FA and has been invisible all year, Boldin ideally needs to move to #3, We should try to upgrade Johnson- no confidence in this group

TE- I have no confidence in this group- Decent depth of serviceable guys but now play makers.

RBs- Hyde and a rehabbing Hunter- without Gore there is no depth - Hyde is good but I still need to see him get 15 carries to see how good he can be. Miller is good FB

QB- Kap needs figure it out maybe a new OC may do the trick but no plan B behind him and Gabbert is FA and will probably try to go to somewhere he can compete to start.

This team is in bigger trouble than most realize - the wrong coach could put us back to the Nolan/ Sing era

I think Trey Millard is going to be thrown into this group. I like what I see in him and Carrier as well. On the fence on McDonald, he really needs to hit the jugs. Not sure how we move forward with VD. At one time he was one of my favorite Niners but ever since his hold out and his MIA status this season I'm not sure what to do. Might be time to move on especially at his price tag.
I agree that this team will be retooling and not reloading. Yes the Giant is asleep.

Defensively our biggest ? comes with Cowboy. At LB we are stacked! At Safety we are stacked! CB I actually really like our top 3.

LDE: Tank/Dial
NT: Dorsey
RDE: Cowboy?

LOLB: Lynch
ILB: Bowman & Willis
ROLB: Smith

FS: Reid
SS: Bethea

LCB: Johnson
RCB: Brock
Slot: Ward

If we could get Cox or Cully back on the cheap with a short deal that would be great. If not, I am confident in our CB's on the roster.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
I think this past year much of the optimism was based on Kap taking it to the next level. His maturation would overshadow any shortcomings the team had. Well, he's the 28th ranked passer in the NFL and he is clearly the main issue confronting whoever is the coach in 2015. My heart tells me he will advance, my eyes and head tell me he's not a pocket quarterback. I can't think of reloading a sleeping giant when that giant is not the same one from 2011-1013.

This.

The 1992 49ers were a different team than the one in 1990 after a dip in 1991. Before people begin to harp on who we had then or what we don't have now, outside of Jerry Rice, no one could've been certain that would get back to dominating in 1992. I will not count Steve Young because even though he won his first passing title in 1991, he was not "that guy" until a year later. Our defense was rebuilt. On offense we were bringing in Ricky Watters (unproven) and still weren't sure about Young. In a nutshell, we re-loaded.

Do I see this team being 14-2? Well it depends. If we can get a Mike Shanahan caliber of play caller, yes we can easily be 14 -2. If we get an average play caller on offense and the defense is still strong (should be with our linebackers back in tact), we will be a 9-7 to 11-5 team. To think we are going to slide is a thought to consider if the wrong move is made with coaching, but outside of that, I have no fears about it getting worse before it gets better. What people should be worried about is 2016 IF we make the wrong move at HC/OC. That is the year when the loss of key vets or age will really begin to show.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
this year is over for us unfortunately but i feel like we will bounce back strong next year and this year may be a blessing in disguise. I still hope we keep harbaugh but even if he leaves this roster is still loaded and tons of money should be freed up by exiting players to reload an already talented roster.

brooks, crabtree, iupati, possibly justin smith and gore, just cut micdonald. possibly even vernon davis, lloyd and boldin will be cut or traded. those are some sizable contracts. we have some excellent players coming back from IR next year who should be 100% and ready to go, we will have way more cap space after all these cuts to get established players in positions of need if we dont get everything we need through the draft and we have some young players ready to step into starting roles after having a redshirt or understudy year this year. Hyde and hunter will be the backs and possibly another draft pick, ellington and patton will get more playing time with more familiarity with the nfl, kap will hopefully be humbled by how this year went and get to work on his mechanics or else gabbert or the hopefully newly drafted QB we have behind him will push for the starting job (gabbert had the luxury of sitting back and learning from harbaugh all year, a luxury he didnt have in jaxoniville so i wouldnt be surprised if he looks great in the preseason next year). tank, dial and lynch will have much bigger roles next year along with some new friends through the draft.

I think things look bad now but we still have a great roster even after some of these players are gone and we wont have to completely blow up this roster, just retool it a little bit and let some of the youngsters get a shot, something that this coaching staff didnt really do. all im saying is, were gonna be just fine my brothas Go Niners
Let me try to get you to think! Imagine seachickens playing the 49ers and we have cut Vdavis and the chickens picked him up. Russell wilson goes back to throw and its a 70 yard touchdown! We don't have anyone who can run with him! #Think!
We need to get some linemen.
this year is over for us unfortunately but i feel like we will bounce back strong next year and this year may be a blessing in disguise. I still hope we keep harbaugh but even if he leaves this roster is still loaded and tons of money should be freed up by exiting players to reload an already talented roster.

brooks, crabtree, iupati, possibly justin smith and gore, just cut micdonald. possibly even vernon davis, lloyd and boldin will be cut or traded. those are some sizable contracts. we have some excellent players coming back from IR next year who should be 100% and ready to go, we will have way more cap space after all these cuts to get established players in positions of need if we dont get everything we need through the draft and we have some young players ready to step into starting roles after having a redshirt or understudy year this year. Hyde and hunter will be the backs and possibly another draft pick, ellington and patton will get more playing time with more familiarity with the nfl, kap will hopefully be humbled by how this year went and get to work on his mechanics or else gabbert or the hopefully newly drafted QB we have behind him will push for the starting job (gabbert had the luxury of sitting back and learning from harbaugh all year, a luxury he didnt have in jaxoniville so i wouldnt be surprised if he looks great in the preseason next year). tank, dial and lynch will have much bigger roles next year along with some new friends through the draft.

I think things look bad now but we still have a great roster even after some of these players are gone and we wont have to completely blow up this roster, just retool it a little bit and let some of the youngsters get a shot, something that this coaching staff didnt really do. all im saying is, were gonna be just fine my brothas Go Niners

Boldin will NOT be cut
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUum2i4WCwU

Need to get back to this (no, not Alex Smith); a team that plays for each other, plays with passion, plays with heart.

This team played for the name on the front of the jersey, not the back.

The 49ers are heartless right now.
Originally posted by Thirstyfor49ers14:

Let me try to get you to think! Imagine seachickens playing the 49ers and we have cut Vdavis and the chickens picked him up. Russell wilson goes back to throw and its a 70 yard touchdown! We don't have anyone who can run with him! #Think!

let him go to seattle, he'll just piss his pants everyday at practice when kam chancellor walks by.
[ Edited by hondakillerzx on Dec 18, 2014 at 10:13 PM ]
Make these players hungry to win.

None of this Kaepernicking bullsh1t, crabtree complaining about being a "3rd" option, VD flailing around like a headless duck.

Reload with a blue collar work ethic that served us so well; and less of all the "other" b******t.
Originally posted by JedYorkie:
Make these players hungry to win.

None of this Kaepernicking bullsh1t, crabtree complaining about being a "3rd" option, VD flailing around like a headless duck.

Reload with a blue collar work ethic that served us so well; and less of all the "other" b******t.

I think this is a huge one. The idea that you can be replaced. We saw it happen on defense. It used to happen on offense. Colin Kaepernick in, Alex Smith out. Alex Boone in, Chilo Rachal out. However the guys nothing is going to be given to this team. Not externally by other teams, certainly not by the refs, and it shouldn't be internally either. Outside of certain vets like Anquan Boldin, Justin Smith, and Frank Gore (if brought back) who I wouldn't expect would have to kill themselves through training camp, I think this team may need a little bit of that. Michael Crabtree, if he's honest with himself has to know Stevie Johnson outperformed him last season. Alex Boone and Vernon Davis's performances were pathetic. Ahmad Brooks has a young guy nipping at his heels.

A little bit of controlled tension will give this team a lot more fire, particularly if guys know that if they do outperform the guy ahead of them, they will play.

Let's have an O line. A real one. Everything else falls into place.

As long as we get rid of (altogether now) Roman, Solari, Morton and Mangini.
Originally posted by English:
Let's have an O line. A real one. Everything else falls into place.

As long as we get rid of (altogether now) Roman, Solari, Morton and Mangini.

This. Competent offensive coaching would have made this a completely different season. I would bet 25 other coaching staffs in the NFL would have had 12 or more wins with the roster this team had, injuries and all, this year.
Originally posted by trogdor:
This. Competent offensive coaching would have made this a completely different season. I would bet 25 other coaching staffs in the NFL would have had 12 or more wins with the roster this team had, injuries and all, this year.

Perhaps they would have beat ARI with Stanton under center or STL at Levi's fresh off our bye week or OAK after we had 10 days of rest and no travel time to speak of. This puts us at 10 wins going into this week. We lost those games because our offense was laughably out schemed outplayed and outcoached. No excuse to perform the way we did those games. This wreaks of horrible preparation and execution. This is unacceptable!
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
NO. LOL.

We are going back to the Dennis Erickson days. We will have a HC about that good in 2015 too. We got tons of problems. This team missed their window and is on the way DOWN.
The offense is already there, they are now putting up points at a lower rate than the 2-14 squad of 2004. The defense will keep the team from sinking to the bottom.
All we need is the oline that can get our power run game going. With that happening kap can do what he does, if, he can be the same as he was our sb year or even last year. other than that mantain the d Maybe address the line.
Share 49ersWebzone