There are 185 users in the forums

The 49ers 2015 Coaching Search Thread(All Rumors Here)

Shop Find 49ers gear online

The 49ers 2015 Coaching Search Thread(All Rumors Here)

• Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Looking at Kubiak, I can even pretty much see a staff start to form as well.

HC-Kubiak
OC-Rick Dennison-QB coach in Baltimore, former OC in Houston
OL Coach-Frank Pollack(former 49ers OL, was on the 1994 roster), contract expires with Dallas at the end of the year, was assistant OL coach in Houston
TE Coach-Brian Pariani-Was an offensive assistant on 1994 49ers
WR Coach-Larry Kirksey-Was WR coach on the 1994 49ers
OL Consultant-Alex Gibbs-Longtime OL coach in Denver, friend of Kubiak's

It connects the franchise's past to the present, also allows the 49ers to maintain their run-first philosophy as Kubiak runs a very run heavy variant of the WCO.

Looks good.
Phoenix put alot of thought about the coaching staff. Props!
Originally posted by pdizo916:
people make mistakes over the course of 3 years. If you don't mind, please lists other times in which you didn't think Harbaugh wasn't a good leader.

Lying to the most popular guy in the locker room (Alex) about looking into a replacement (Manning), and getting called out for it. Barrows and Maiocco confirmed that the players were pretty pissed about that.

Likely encouraging Kap's interaction style with the media (his change from Reno to SF was noticeable), exposing him to national scrutiny.

Losing the faith of the offense by stubbornly standing by Roman and ineffective scheming (good of one ahead of good of all).

I could probably think of more, if I wanted to work at it.

I like Harbaugh. If I thought he could fix the offense, I'd want him to stay. I'm just saying that leadership aspect could be overstated.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
We need to get another running back to compliment Hyde. I think Gore is done in SF or MAYBE he'll take the Jerome Bettis role circa 2003-2005. However, we still need another RB. Also our o line sucks, but something tells me that it's more scheme and blown assignments are to blame than talent. If only Kubiak didn't have that health scare....

Like I said, its something that would have to be looked into, but a mini-stroke or TIA doesn't cause any permanent damage. If the medical staff of the Texans, Ravens and now the 49ers had all given him a go-ahead, I'd be content that he is good to go.

As far as the RB situation, considering how Forsett has looked in Baltimore, considering that they have some big, hefty guys on their line as well, I think the same scheme could work here with the 49ers. Davis has experience in a zone blocking scheme in college, as well as a few others. Staley wouldn't have a problem with it, I think the only odd man out might be Iupati who is expected to be gone anyways. I think that Hyde, Hunter and yes, even Gore could thrive in such a system where guys actually had some daylight to head towards regularly. Baltimore currently leads the NFL in runs of 20 yards or longer and I believe their OL is near the top when it comes to how many yards the RB's average before contact.

Yeah, it's not like Harbaugh didn't have a heart procedure while he was here...

edit: Boone could also struggle with a zone scheme (he tends to elevate his pad level when he moves laterally), but he hasn't exactly made himself indispensable.
[ Edited by WRATHman44 on Dec 17, 2014 at 10:14 AM ]
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
I eliminated McDaniels since the votes for him were so low in that last thread and it seems that every Belichick assistant ends up flopping as a head coach. Its not just that McDaniels struggled in Denver, its that the locker room pretty much turned completely against him, repeating what was seen with Mangini as well.

I think its more that Belichick is an outstanding head coach but he's not really developing these assistants the way that you may expect. Considering how successful he's been, he might have the lowest ratio of successful assistants of any multiple Superbowl winning head coach. Mangini, McDaniels and Crennel have all fallen flat on their faces as coaches. Weis has been awful in college and the book is still out on O'Brien in Houston.

OK fair enough.

How about Jon Gruden ? I know he has just re-upped his contract with ESPN, but contracts can be broken I suppose. The dude keeps saying he would love to get back to coaching, well provided is the right job. I am quite sure he will be interested in the 9ers job.
Originally posted by Rascal:
OK fair enough.

How about Jon Gruden ? I know he has just re-upped his contract with ESPN, but contracts can be broken I suppose. The dude keeps saying he would love to get back to coaching, well provided is the right job. I am quite sure he will be interested in the 9ers job.

Gruden's not going anywhere. The guy seems perfectly content with his life, and how can you blame him. He makes almost the same amount as he would make coaching, he works about three days a week, gets plenty of off time, his job is low stress, he's already won a Superbowl, I can't see any potential reason for him to get back into coaching. I think he's happy with the Madden route.

Even if he was interested, with the way he basically buried the Bucs franchise, kicked out the GM who had drafted their Superbowl winning roster, passed up on Aaron Rodgers when he constantly complained about needing a QB and overall was pretty mediocre during his time there, I wouldn't really want him with the 49ers. He's more overrated than he is elite. Bucs still haven't won a single playoff game since that Superbowl over a decade ago. He and his buddy Allen left that franchise in pretty much the same shape as the 49ers were left in after Donahue.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 17, 2014 at 10:30 AM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rascal:
OK fair enough.

Gruden might be one of the most overrated coaches in NFL history thanks to him being on Monday Night Football. Brian Billick is a better coaching candidate and i assume most 49ers fans want no part of him.
I'm on board for Kubiak especially if Fangiano wants to stay
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Yeah, it's not like Harbaugh didn't have a heart procedure while he was here...

edit: Boone could also struggle with a zone scheme (he tends to elevate his pad level when he moves laterally), but he hasn't exactly made himself indispensable.

Looney came out of a heavy zone blocking system in Wake Forest.
Looking at Kubiak, I can even pretty much see a staff start to form as well.

HC-Kubiak
OC-Rick Dennison-QB coach in Baltimore, former OC in Houston
OL Coach-Frank Pollack(former 49ers OL, was on the 1994 roster), contract expires with Dallas at the end of the year, was assistant OL coach in Houston
TE Coach-Brian Pariani-Was an offensive assistant on 1994 49ers
WR Coach-Larry Kirksey-Was WR coach on the 1994 49ers
OL Consultant-Alex Gibbs-Longtime OL coach in Denver, friend of Kubiak's

It connects the franchise's past to the present, also allows the 49ers to maintain their run-first philosophy as Kubiak runs a very run heavy variant of the WCO.

Interesting group and I've liked Kubiak in the past...Schaub killed him at times with bad decisions...might have the same problem here, but he would no doubt have some leverage working with Kaepernick and might really help the young QB. Schaub doesn't seem to have improved sans Kubiak!

Has Young mentioned Kubiak?

Originally posted by 49erfaninAZ:
I'm on board for Kubiak especially if Fangiano wants to stay

Victorino Fangiano!
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
1) Chuckie

2) Mike Shanahan

3) Chris Petersen
Like Phoenix said, Kubiak is the perfect bridge between our past and our present. All we would need in the draft to have a Kubiak style offense is a top Andre Johnson style receiver and we are in prime position to do that in this draft. Other than that we have a talented running back, a running QB, and a Pro Bowl TE. It would be a great fit. My hope is that the defensive staff remains together, but it is unlikely. If we lost Fangio there are several possible replacements that would love to have our personnel at their disposal among the possibilities would include Tomsula, Donatell, Wade Phillips and Rex Ryan.
[ Edited by ESWYoung08 on Dec 17, 2014 at 10:57 AM ]
Right now, the 5 names I'd look at are:

1. Frank Reich (Chargers) - Largely credited with helping turn back around Rivers and have him play well again. Could he do the same with Kaepernick? Can he build a great staff?

2. Kevin Sumlin (Texas A&M) - He will need to have a strong defensive coordinator, but the offense would likely see a large boost in creativity.

3. David Shaw (Stanford) - Has NFL experience, is a proven winner, and could likely retain the majority of our staff while helping sustain overall stability. If he gets a great OC, this might be the best possible option for the team, in my opinion.

4. Vic Fangio - Obviously Vic is a guy nearly impossible to replace in terms of what he's been able to get out of our guys and being able to call games nearly to perfection. Questions though would be who would the OC be? And would being HC cause his performance to suffer when calling defensive plays? Those things happen.

5. Jim Tomsula - After a lot of thought, I don't think it actually would be a bad move if Tomsula was given a shot. DL Coach is certainly a great fit for him, but he has experience as both a head coach and defensive coordinator. In 2004, he was the DC of the Berlin Thunder who went 9-1 and won the World Bowl for NFL Europe. The next year he led the Rhein Fire to a winning record of 6-4 as a HC. Of course he also won his only game as an interim HC for the 49ers, 38-7. The players love him, and he has well-observed success in developing defensive players. Again, the offensive staff under him would be a major question.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
harbaugh >>>>>>> any of those guys
Share 49ersWebzone