LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 326 users in the forums

49ers Injuries

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Why does it seem every year our team gets plagued by an enormous amount of injuries ? I mean every team is gonna have injuries, but we always seem to be on the upper echelon of the league with injuries every year. Diet, Workload, Nutrition ?????!! What is it?
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
off season preparation.

take preseason for instance, most of the starters barely got any time in. You look at other successful teams, their starters play at least 2x as long as ours do. THe hawks had their starters in for about 3 quarters every game.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
off season preparation.

take preseason for instance, most of the starters barely got any time in. You look at other successful teams, their starters play at least 2x as long as ours do. THe hawks had their starters in for about 3 quarters every game.

So another coaching problem ?
Injuries are a problem if the coaching staff and FO lets it be a problem. Like you said ALL teams have injuries, but the good teams will find a way to overcome. Niners found a jewel in Borland. Seahawks last year had a good 4-6 game stretch missing anywhere from 2-4 O-Linemen (which would be the death of most teams) and managed to win a bulk of those games. Hell Arizona this year has had more injuries than any team could withstand and they are sitting at 11-3. They managed to beat the Lions with Drew Stanton and have been out Dockett all year (and numerous others).

My theory is:

1) Develop the depth via Rotation. Which means the depth gets meaningful snaps PLUS the starters get some rest and less wear and tear throughout the season. I remember over hearing some stat last year (or maybe the year prior) about 9/10 Niner defensive starters pretty much playing 99% of all snaps or something to that nature. Yeah that allows you to stay competitive throughout the majority of the game, but it does wear and tear those guys, plus your 2nd string isn't getting quality game time to improve if/when it comes time for them to become a starter.
2) Keep the team young. Yank a toddler by the arm and that should can pretty much wrap around his/her back without even a wince of pain, do the same thing to a 40 year old and it's the hospital. Not saying a 21 year old is that much more flexible than a 28 year old, but I'm sure every year makes a little bit of difference between battle scars and young blood flexibility.

Don't get me wrong, some injuries are huge like losing a starting QB or RB. but then again look at the Cards and Vikings. Both playing pretty well despite the huge losses.
Cassel? Huge loss?
GMOs
Originally posted by English:
Cassel? Huge loss?

For the Vikings I was talking about Peterson. Sorry not an injury, but you can take it like an injury being he was out pretty much all season.
[ Edited by kezarvet49 on Dec 17, 2014 at 9:45 AM ]
Originally posted by zaghawk:
Cassel? Huge loss?

For the Vikings I was talking about Peterson. Sorry not an injury, but you can take it like an injury being he was out pretty much all season.

Aah!! That makes more sense than Cassel!! Sorry, I didn't connect AP.
i think this is a homer fan thing. this year yes we've been a bit snake bit. but it hasnt been like that every year. i'd venture to say most fans dont track injury info on other teams outside of the star players who might miss some time. its like most fans see us get 5 injuries and then claim we're the most injured team in league history while not really being in tune with whome the other 31 teams are playing without. the arizona cardinals for example have had a s**t ton of injuries this year and have their best lb suspended the whole season.

Originally posted by crabman82:
i think this is a homer fan thing. this year yes we've been a bit snake bit. but it hasnt been like that every year. i'd venture to say most fans dont track injury info on other teams outside of the star players who might miss some time. its like most fans see us get 5 injuries and then claim we're the most injured team in league history while not really being in tune with whome the other 31 teams are playing without. the arizona cardinals for example have had a s**t ton of injuries this year and have their best lb suspended the whole season.

And we haven't had a s**t ton? Pro Bowlers? Pro Bowl linebacker suspended? "A bit snake bit"?

And we haven't had a s**t ton? Pro Bowlers? Pro Bowl linebacker suspended? "A bit snake bit"?

this is the reaction i'm talking about. i said in my post this season has been a bit of a s**t show. but it also has been for the cardinals and they keep on trucking. injuries become an excuse if you dont play good football. look at the packers IR in their sb in 2010 and lost woodson and driver in the super bowl before halftime. just see far too many people going on and on about injuries like thats the reason we suck this year. for my money our D has played very well this year and thats where most of our injuries have been. i just have a hard time excepting the fact that if kilgore and davis on the o-line had played more than kaepernick would be playing any better.
I don't think that we have been ravaged by the number of injuries over the past few years. What has killed us is that all of the injuries, happen to the same positions. The past few years, the injuries have hit our WRs and RBs pretty heavily. This season: CB, ILB, NT, and TE have been the issue this season. Last game, RB became the problem. We are playing with 3rd, 4th, and 5th string players at all of those spots. In some cases, UDFAs are playing.

The injuries played their part in this season's demise, but moreso, the lack of a competent offense is what killed this team. When the Packers won the Super Bowl, they had somewhere around 18 players on IR, but it didn't matter because the coaches made due with what they had. This coaching staff didn't...at least on offense.

this is the reaction i'm talking about. i said in my post this season has been a bit of a s**t show. but it also has been for the cardinals and they keep on trucking. injuries become an excuse if you dont play good football. look at the packers IR in their sb in 2010 and lost woodson and driver in the super bowl before halftime. just see far too many people going on and on about injuries like thats the reason we suck this year. for my money our D has played very well this year and thats where most of our injuries have been. i just have a hard time excepting the fact that if kilgore and davis on the o-line had played more than kaepernick would be playing any better.

The O line fell to pieces. It wasn't just Kilgore and Davis. It's why I want Solari to follow Roman and Morton out of the door.
This year has been a horific year for injuries. This is the worst year I can remember. At one point in time we were missing 4/7ths of our front 7 defense and both our starting CB's and our nickel CB as well and our back up NT too and that's just on defense. That's 6 starters and the nickel CB out. Among the 6 out included the best LB in football - Bowman and a premier pass rusher in Aldon Smith.

On offense we lost 2 starting OL for most of the season. Our 2nd string Center is out and our RG was missing for a bunch of games. Our TE and only true vertical threat was injured and has never returned to form, our back up TE is out, our 3rd and 4th string TE's have been injured and now our 3 best RB's as well.

We lost 4 players against Seattle alone. We had our 4th string RB and 5th string TE on the field with our 3rd string Center and back up RT. On defense we were missing our 3 best ILB's and 2 best NT's and 3 best CB's.

This is way beyond what Arizona is facing.

If that were not bad enough then it has been our year to be on the receiving end of bad calls all year. Some years they even out. Some years you might even get a break but this year has been bad all season long. Too many games we were on the short end of the stick. Even in seattle they get a free set of downs after we stopped them and score a TD instead of settling for a FG attempt. That call was total BS and even the announcers said so.Yet we get screwed again. They got an earlier gift of 15 yards on a FG drive. This has happened all season long. We lost a safety and a TD in the rams game to bad calls.

This has just been a completely snake bit year. I just pray we are getting it all out of the way this season and next year we won't have so many injuries and the refs will give us evenly called games.
Share 49ersWebzone