LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 147 users in the forums

Saying Good-Bye to a Legend- The Niners should trade Patrick Willis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
It's always difficult for me to think of trading a favorite player, but sometimes it makes sense. Not sure this is that time.

1. Need more than two good MLBs to get through a season.
  2. Borland is on a rookie contract for a few more years (2018).
  3. Borland's shoulder problems worry me.
  4. Willis is the leader of the defense, by word and deed.
  5. There is no guarantee Bowman will return at full speed.
If they trade Willis they would need to draft a MLB this year for depth. So depending what they received in return it would partly go toward a lesser player.

THIS. Borland didnt last 1 full season and Bowman has missed whole year. need WIllis.
Restructure his deal
I thought this was going to be about Gore. Willis is safe.
lol
If we do trade him then there goes our depth. if bowman isn't 100% or either Bowman or Borland get hurt we could be in trouble. Unless we are seeing a really great offer, 2nd round min then I think it may be too soon. We also don't know what kind of player Willis will be after he gets his injury healed that has hampered him for years. He may be is old pro bowl caliber self again.
Originally posted by rapid4:
Likely gone - Harbaugh, Crabtree, Iupati, Brooks; maybe gone - Gore, Cowboy, Vernon; coming off injuries - Bowman, Ward, Kilgore, Brock, 4 rookies. Window is closing anyway, might as well start all over, especially since all the PSL's have been sold. Back to the dark ages.

Enough of this window-is-closing BS. Nobody except a Seahawks fan would suggest we start a full rebuild.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
borland can't even go a full season without getting hurt. and he's balding at 22.
Great idea, because Bowmen may not return to his former self, so yeah, why have Willis stay around when he has several great seasons ahead? I think we need to stand pat, on Willis, it's Iupati, Gore, Crabtree, Boone, and Cowboy who are about to ride off in to the sunset. If we trade any LB it will be Brooks.
Originally posted by English:
Likely gone - Harbaugh, Crabtree, Iupati, Brooks; maybe gone - Gore, Cowboy, Vernon; coming off injuries - Bowman, Ward, Kilgore, Brock, 4 rookies. Window is closing anyway, might as well start all over, especially since all the PSL's have been sold. Back to the dark ages.

Enough of this window-is-closing BS. Nobody except a Seahawks fan would suggest we start a full rebuild.

Right, we don't need a rebuild, just a reload, unfortunately, if we dump Harbaugh, we will be rebuilding. New coach, will mean new scheme, new players, and that is called rebuilding. If Jim and Trent could some how call off this pissing match, and work together we could avoid a rebuild.
Sweet mother of god no! Willis was playing great before his injury and while Borland makes a bunch of tackles he has been awful in coverage....do you really want to watch Borland get burnt by TEs on a constant basis? Not to mention he has a history of injury issues as well.

Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by English:

Right, we don't need a rebuild, just a reload, unfortunately, if we dump Harbaugh, we will be rebuilding. New coach, will mean new scheme, new players, and that is called rebuilding. If Jim and Trent could some how call off this pissing match, and work together we could avoid a rebuild.

SF didn't rebuild when Jim came in
I agree that eventually we will need to trade away our talented players, and we will need to do so before they become ineffective. I dont think we do that with any of our defensive players until after next year. I think next season is make or break for kaepernick and the rest of the offense, and may slam our window shut. If we cant rebound from 2014, I honestly expect a rebuild project to start after next season.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Bowman might never be the same again. FYI
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
borland can't even go a full season without getting hurt. and he's balding at 22.

They say baldness is a sign of virility, people just mad that Borland gonna try to steal their womenz and create little alpha male future NFL linebackers with T Rex arms.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Bowman might never be the same again. FYI

Very true and age 30 isn't the death knell for linebackers as it supposedly is for running backs. I mean, heck, Ray Lewis was just crushing foos and leading a championship defense to another title at age 38.

I think if Willis recovers fully from his toe surgery we might see Patrick Willis circa 2010 for a few more years before he starts to slow down.
Share 49ersWebzone