There are 275 users in the forums

What I would do to the Oline.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Staley has still been the best performer on this entire OL, year in and year out. I see absolutely no reason to move him anywhere, particularly since his contract is pretty damn reasonable for the caliber of lineman he is. Iupati can walk, for the money he'll be likely looking for, he isn't worth it. Dominant run blocker, mediocre pass blocker. At center the 49ers have Kilgore and Marcus Martin competing for the spot. I would put Davis inside at RG, move Boone to RT and have Thomas compete for a spot at guard along with Martin and Looney.

This has been my favorite line for a while...though M Martin adds some nice flexibility. If Farrell sticks next year they would have four guys with experience at center, solid young guards and two solid tackles. Davis could be the back up for RT and Boone could slide to LT if necessary. That would allow them to concentrate on two positions instead of three.

Staley/M Martin/Kilgore/Davis/Boone

With Looney, Thomas and Ferrell as backups. J Martin if they keep an extra OT. If they did this they could still use a draft pick to add competition, particularly for tackle.

Edit: If Chris Martin makes the team next year they could try for an all Martin line. The their nickname could be 24/7 Martinizing!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Dec 15, 2014 at 9:57 PM ]
Not sure why everyone is so down on Davis. When he was healthy the last two years, he was a very good right tackle, even in pass protection. Check his PFF numbers.

Here's how things will look next year IMO provided no injuries:

LT: Staley
LG: Thomas or Martin
C: Kilgore
RG: Boone
RT: Davis

As long as Boone doesn't hold out again, Davis heals up, and Thomas or Martin aren't as terrible in pass protection as Iupati, this line should be a lot better.
Part of the reason our line has been bad has been because Davis has been out. The guy is a good RT. Boone can barely play guard this year. What makes everyone think he can play tackle? He went undrafted because he has slow feet. Not a great attribute of a tackle.

LG: Thomas/Veteran to compete
C: Kilgore/Martin
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I wouldn't mess around and move Martin from Center. Stabilize the LG with Thomas and leave the rest be.

LT Staley
LG Thomas
C Martin
RG Boone
RT Davis
[ Edited by mayo49 on Dec 15, 2014 at 11:08 PM ]
Originally posted by mayo49:
I wouldn't mess around and move Martin from Center. Stabilize the LG with Thomas and leave the rest be.

Agree
Well that's smart. Lets get rid of all our best O Linemen.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
1. been saying for years that davis should be RG. when healthy, he's a big-time mauler who is also nimble moving forward into the 2nd level. what he has athletic limitations at is the whole "kick slide" process, which is pretty necessary at OT.

2. at RT, i'd let boone and brandon thomas fight it out for that spot. may the best man win, but i see thomas as having more than enough talent to be a very good RT.

3. at center, you have to see if martin ascends. if so, great. also, i'd draft the duke guard tomlinson in the 4th or 5th rd and develop him at center--he's squarish and agile and strong. kilgore and looney are quality backups, imo.

4. at LG, you only do one thing: you sign free agent LG clint boling from the bengals. good player in his prime. forget stone-feet iupati.

5. at LT, no changes needed yet; staley's much better than average, but it is time to start to start grooming a new LT since staley is over 30, and the end can approach quickly in this decade. draft andrus peat if he's there in rd 1. good body; good genes: father played nfl o-line, mother is a big, strong gal. boone can be a 4-position backup, or trade him if he's too expensive for that.
Originally posted by Draftology:
Part of the reason our line has been bad has been because Davis has been out. The guy is a good RT. Boone can barely play guard this year. What makes everyone think he can play tackle? He went undrafted because he has slow feet. Not a great attribute of a tackle.

Boone wasn't drafted because of his alcoholism and duis. I think he missed a bowl game because he was arrested in LA for being drunk and getting a DUI (iirc). Coming out of college he was thought of as a 1st round talent.

Personally I believe we are set at tackle! Anthony Davis when healthy is one of the best. Our problems are at guard, and JMart. What we should of done is start Looney at guard and Boone at RT. But we stayed with JMart for some reason...
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Thank god you aren't the GM for the 49ers. lol

Or Coach...
Originally posted by Draftology:

Your comment on Boone shows you are just posting what you read rather than what you see. You do know that Boone has been rated among the top 5 guards in the NFL the past month don't you???

Originally posted by xcfan:
1. been saying for years that davis should be RG. when healthy, he's a big-time mauler who is also nimble moving forward into the 2nd level. what he has athletic limitations at is the whole "kick slide" process, which is pretty necessary at OT.

2. at RT, i'd let boone and brandon thomas fight it out for that spot. may the best man win, but i see thomas as having more than enough talent to be a very good RT.

3. at center, you have to see if martin ascends. if so, great. also, i'd draft the duke guard tomlinson in the 4th or 5th rd and develop him at center--he's squarish and agile and strong. kilgore and looney are quality backups, imo.

4. at LG, you only do one thing: you sign free agent LG clint boling from the bengals. good player in his prime. forget stone-feet iupati.

5. at LT, no changes needed yet; staley's much better than average, but it is time to start to start grooming a new LT since staley is over 30, and the end can approach quickly in this decade. draft andrus peat if he's there in rd 1. good body; good genes: father played nfl o-line, mother is a big, strong gal. boone can be a 4-position backup, or trade him if he's too expensive for that.
I'd be ok with everything, but in the first round I would like for us to draft a playmaker. I think Gordon(rb) is going to be something special. Pair him with Hyde and that gives us a nice back field moving forward.
[ Edited by InsertNameHere on Dec 16, 2014 at 7:01 AM ]
If we are lucky a davis wont be forced to retire because of concussion issues. Someone lock this garbage, or move it to the madden gm thread
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Its amazing how for years--and i mean YEARS, that we have just set the lineup at left tackle and forget about it. Its nothing short of unbelievable in just how good Staley has been and that he still is a fantastic player.

We have i think taken it for granted and underestimate how much he has meant to this team this decade. He always handles his business. No matter WHO we are getting ready to face opposite him, we dont worry about it.

Staley at LT and thats that

Football outsiders has him at +19.5 for the season. That is 4th best for LT. Outstanding.
Fire Solari.

And draft some good young players, initially for depth.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Thirstyfor49ers14:
First I would let Iupati walk and I would trade Staley. I would put boone at LT and I would bench or trade ADavis. I would put Thomas the rookie from Clemson at RT. These moves gives us big athletic tackles. Center would be kilgore and the rg would be Marcus Martin he is big enough and athletic enough to be the rg. left guard needs to be Joe looney or if they keep Anthony Davis this could be his position.

Staley has still been the best performer on this entire OL, year in and year out. I see absolutely no reason to move him anywhere, particularly since his contract is pretty damn reasonable for the caliber of lineman he is. Iupati can walk, for the money he'll be likely looking for, he isn't worth it. Dominant run blocker, mediocre pass blocker. At center the 49ers have Kilgore and Marcus Martin competing for the spot. I would put Davis inside at RG, move Boone to RT and have Thomas compete for a spot at guard along with Martin and Looney.

Trading Staley would be nuts. And given the contract we gave Davis, he's not going to move inside, esp with all the young depth we've accumulated on the interior OL. We have Kilgore/M.Martin/Looney/B.Thomas available for 3 spots, 2 until Boone leaves. IMO Boone has been down right awful this year, I don't understand everyone's infatuation with moving him to OT. If it were me, I'd try and find a team willing to take on VD, Brooks and Boone's contracts in a trade, dump all of them, gain cap space, get a pick for them and go with a youth movement on the OL. Kilgore is the better C, Martin could play one of the OG spots and Thomas/Looney compete for the other, keep the tackle spots the way they are. Take that cap space, plus restructure Kap's deal like it's meant to be in year 2, extend Aldon which will gain space, re-do Ray Mac's deal, release Dahl and go get a deep threat WR.
Share 49ersWebzone