There are 161 users in the forums

Week 15 - 2014: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I agree Kap looked less rattled in the sense he was forcing things the past few games. I don't think he was trying to do too much this time around, but I still think he looked rattled in the pocket at times. And he missed some throws as a result. I'm not interested in arguing over who's more responsible for that (coaches, OL, Kap himself). I simply think its a fact that all parties own. Kap doesn't have to play perfect, but he definitely needs to play better (not sure anyone disagrees with that).

I'm convinced this is Harbaugh's offense. It's being run exactly how he wants it, and he's simply not able to adjust. We were down two scores late in the game and still were not able to move quickly. The play comes in, we line up, we wait for the defense to line up, we run some motion, we wait to see how the defense reacts, Kap makes some adjustments, the OL makes some adjustments, and (finally) we snap the ball. None of that changes if Roman simply called different plays. We killed almost 8 full minutes off the clock to move the ball something like 55 yds and came away with no points. That is 100% on the coaches imo.

I could never have imagined saying this a few months ago - but I think it may be time for Harbaugh to go. I'm just not sure we'll see anything different on offense as long as he stays.
Originally posted by Overkill:
I agree Kap looked less rattled in the sense he was forcing things the past few games. I don't think he was trying to do too much this time around, but I still think he looked rattled in the pocket at times. And he missed some throws as a result. I'm not interested in arguing over who's more responsible for that (coaches, OL, Kap himself). I simply think its a fact that all parties own. Kap doesn't have to play perfect, but he definitely needs to play better (not sure anyone disagrees with that).

I'm convinced this is Harbaugh's offense. It's being run exactly how he wants it, and he's simply not able to adjust. We were down two scores late in the game and still were not able to move quickly. The play comes in, we line up, we wait for the defense to line up, we run some motion, we wait to see how the defense reacts, Kap makes some adjustments, the OL makes some adjustments, and (finally) we snap the ball. None of that changes if Roman simply called different plays. We killed almost 8 full minutes off the clock to move the ball something like 55 yds and came away with no points. That is 100% on the coaches imo.

I could never have imagined saying this a few months ago - but I think it may be time for Harbaugh to go. I'm just not sure we'll see anything different on offense as long as he stays.

Pretty much agree on all counts.

I'd like Harbaugh to stay, but I think its more of the "We sucked before Harbaugh and I don't want to suck again" in me.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Well that was predictable...

1) Kap: He didn't play well, but by his "Vs the Seahawks" standards it wasn't really all that bad. In fact, I came away with a bit of hope for the future and I'll explain why.

Stat line wasn't impressive. He didn't deliver on a few balls and he was under siege all day...but what I liked was that he seemed FAR more relaxed than he has in any other Seattle game. He didn't look rattled. I think something happened after the Raiders game that I can only hope continues.

You know why I think he looked far more relaxed, is because I think he finally realized that the team has been decimated with injuries and the struggles aren't all entirely on him. Almost like he was playing with house money.
I didn't get to watch the game but it sounded like a perfect storm to lose it. Anyway, glad to hear Kap looked okay considering.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
I didn't get to watch the game but it sounded like a perfect storm to lose it. Anyway, glad to hear Kap looked okay considering.

Given what my expectations were going in, it was a far better performance than I expected. They really had a shot before players started dropping like flies. Borland gone so all of the sudden they couldn't stop Lynch. Gore and Hyde gone so the running game that they were having success with evaporated.
Originally posted by Nuns:
Agree about Harbaugh. Love the coach and love the team winning, but something has to change. Hoping for a good hire.

Agree on Tank. His sack was a screen pass that was covered but he got some pressure on the QB earlier as well. A small bright spot.

Remember...our front office is dysfunctional at best. I have never in my 50+years of watching football seen a front office that looks to destroy a coach. JH has his faults, but if you have problems with it, deal with it. I am disgusted with Jed and Trent. Relying on these dispicable characters to fix things is like relying on the fox to fix the hen house. I have never been this upset over an entire years performance of both the team and front office. I am getting on board with those who would like to sue the front office for fraud.
Originally posted by thl408:
The injuries are bordering lol status. Already IR'ed the #2 and #3 TEs - lose the #4. Already IR'ed #1 and #2 ILBs, lose #3. Been skating by with just 2 tailbacks all season, lose both. Playing with backups at LCB, RCB, slot CB, C, RT. Injuries are a part of football, but it's been a huge part of this season. f**k this season.

This.

X2
7) Rookies: Here's the silver lining though. We've seen a lot more of Hyde, Borland, Lynch, (Marcus) Martin, Bruce Ellington and Dontae Johnson than we ever expected and ALL of them at times have played very well. Ward struggled early but played better before he was hurt. We also get to see Brandon Thomas, Keith Reaser, Kenneth Acker (who looked good in preseason), Kaleb Ramsey, and Trey Millard next year. That's like another whole draft class on top of the one we are about to draft.

Brandon Thomas will probably be the starting LG next year. But let's not make a big deal on the other guys lol, they're just guys. There's a very good chance that none of those other guys ever plays a regular season snap for the team.

Also, who cares who looks good in preseason? How many glowing reports were there of Vance McDonald and Quinton Dial and Quinton Patton this year? And there was a fair amount of pessimism surrounding Aaron Lynch. There's zero, absolutely zero correlation to how guys look in preseason and how they look in the regular season. Vance McDonald is probably the most ultimate example ever of that. When will we learn. The Niners as a whole looked s**ttyAF in every preseason of the Harbaugh era and yet it's been probably the top-4 year run of the past 30-35 years (though maybe NE takes that claim if they win it all this year) when the games that count come around.
[ Edited by kap2crab on Dec 15, 2014 at 10:47 AM ]
Originally posted by Pat49ers:
Remember...our front office is dysfunctional at best. I have never in my 50+years of watching football seen a front office that looks to destroy a coach. JH has his faults, but if you have problems with it, deal with it. I am disgusted with Jed and Trent. Relying on these dispicable characters to fix things is like relying on the fox to fix the hen house. I have never been this upset over an entire years performance of both the team and front office. I am getting on board with those who would like to sue the front office for fraud.
Huh? Remind me what it was they did please.
Originally posted by kap2crab:
7) Rookies: Here's the silver lining though. We've seen a lot more of Hyde, Borland, Lynch, (Marcus) Martin, Bruce Ellington and Dontae Johnson than we ever expected and ALL of them at times have played very well. Ward struggled early but played better before he was hurt. We also get to see Brandon Thomas, Keith Reaser, Kenneth Acker (who looked good in preseason), Kaleb Ramsey, and Trey Millard next year. That's like another whole draft class on top of the one we are about to draft.

Brandon Thomas will probably be the starting LG next year. But let's not make a big deal on the other guys lol, they're just guys. There's a very good chance that none of those other guys ever plays a regular season snap for the team.

Also, who cares who looks good in preseason? How many glowing reports were there of Vance McDonald and Quinton Dial and Quinton Patton this year? And there was a fair amount of pessimism surrounding Aaron Lynch. There's zero, absolutely zero correlation to how guys look in preseason and how they look in the regular season. Vance McDonald is probably the most ultimate example ever of that. When will we learn. The Niners as a whole looked s**ttyAF in every preseason of the Harbaugh era and yet it's been probably the top-4 year run of the past 30-35 years (though maybe NE takes that claim if they win it all this year) when the games that count come around.

If a guy is taken in round 1 or round 7, he can amount to something. In the case of Reaser, Millard and Ramsey, they'd have been taken higher without those injuries.

I'm not trying to make out like they are all 1st round prospects, but they are all players with some potential who will be getting their first chance with the team.

Great thread as always Marvin. We may be in the minority but I agree on that pass to VD. I told my buddy that the old Vernon goes to get that ball, still Kap hasn't adjusted to this Vernon. Kap still missed a couple throws but he seemed more calm this time.

I'm already looking forward to next year & as you stated, hopefully the distractions will be gone.

I hate to see Jim go for the reason you've mention but I also believe it's time as well. I'm on the Pep Hamilton bandwagon for HC but wouldn't mind seeing Tomsula promoted as well. I just really hope we could hang on to Fangio.

I'm rooting for the Cards to win the division but I really want to see a Green Bay/New England Super Bowl.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
PFF_Jeff

Colin Kaepernicks +0.7 grade was his best ever against the Seahawks. No turnovers or delay of game calls on the day.

PFF_Jeff

Joe Staleys +4.3 grade yesterday puts him at +19.9 on the year, fourth best among all tackles.

PFF_Jeff ·

Carlos Hydes +2.6 grade was the highest of his career. 38 of Hydes 55 rushing yards came after contact.
Originally posted by DeUh:
PFF_Jeff

Colin Kaepernicks +0.7 grade was his best ever against the Seahawks. No turnovers or delay of game calls on the day.

PFF_Jeff

Joe Staleys +4.3 grade yesterday puts him at +19.9 on the year, fourth best among all tackles.

PFF_Jeff ·

Carlos Hydes +2.6 grade was the highest of his career. 38 of Hydes 55 rushing yards came after contact.

They all had some good plays there. On one of Kap's runs, Staley KO'ed two pursuing D linemen. Was one of his best plays of the season.

Kap had an incredible toss to Celek up the sideline. It looked like a throw away and it dropped perfectly in the only place he could have thrown it. It was the exact throw he needed to make to Crabtree against the Raiders. Kudos for him using touch there on the run.

Hyde looked like the better back yesterday. When Gore went down, I was excited to see what Hyde could do. Unfrotunately, this whole season, when I got excited about the prospect of anything positive, something negative would negate it. Thus, Hyde got hurt. We will see if either he or Gore are ready next week.
-Vernon Davis needs to be off this team faster than Harbaugh after the season. He is done. Now he can focus on Jamba Juice and painting.
-Unless we hire a miracle man, we need a whole new WR corps. Ours are slow and cannot get open.
- O-line needs some shuffling and more practice at full health.
-defense gets a pass all season as they are playing at a high level and of course the injuries. nothing bad to say about them.
-Kap we will have to stand behind for a few years and i am fine with it. I still think he can be a good QB.

Send Crabtree, Davis, Lloyd, SJ, McDonald all packing.
Originally posted by JDMathews49ers:
Originally posted by thl408:
The injuries are bordering lol status. Already IR'ed the #2 and #3 TEs - lose the #4. Already IR'ed #1 and #2 ILBs, lose #3. Been skating by with just 2 tailbacks all season, lose both. Playing with backups at LCB, RCB, slot CB, C, RT. Injuries are a part of football, but it's been a huge part of this season. f**k this season.

This.

X2

It's been unbelievable. I even posted our current ROSTER of I.R.'s/PUP/PS, etc. and that team alone, is better than half of the NFL rosters right now! That speaks very well to our depth and production on the field on defense despite all the injuries, but DAYEM...it just wasn't our year. Period.
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 15, 2014 at 12:03 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone