There are 132 users in the forums

Week 15 - 2014: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Well that was predictable...

1) Kap: He didn't play well, but by his "Vs the Seahawks" standards it wasn't really all that bad. In fact, I came away with a bit of hope for the future and I'll explain why.

Stat line wasn't impressive. He didn't deliver on a few balls and he was under siege all day...but what I liked was that he seemed FAR more relaxed than he has in any other Seattle game. He didn't look rattled. I think something happened after the Raiders game that I can only hope continues.

I think he got to the same place I talked about that Alex Smith (I know, shouldn't even mention the name) got to after the Philly game in 2010. Its almost a "F*CK IT!!" state of mind. The pressure is off. It started with the way he began talking to the press last week and continued after the game. He's not winding himself up so tightly that he's about to burst and make that critical mistake.

Some of you no doubt are going to see this as me being to easy on the guy. Again. You may be right, but I saw something happen last week. Its too little too late for this year, but it does give me a bit of hope for the future. If he can stop putting the weight of the world on his shoulders, then maybe, just maybe, he can stop trying to make every play THE big play. Maybe he can allow himself to hit that RB who's wide open for a 3-4 yard gain.

I have no idea what's gonna happen, but rewatching this game surprisingly gave me some hope for the future.

2) Vernon: Dude can't run. He says he's healthy, but he can't run and he can't block. Is it age? Is it still the back? He's just not moving the same. Kap got kinda blasted because he "missed" Vernon early, but it was pretty clear to me that the throw wasn't the issue. Vernon goes and gets that pass in the past...he's just not moving well.

3) Gore: Is it possible we've seen Franks last play ever in a Niner uniform? It is...and I have to say it bums me out. ALOT. I wanted to get him that ring. I never wanted to see him end with an injury. I hope he can come back and maybe play at home vs Arizona to give him a bit of a sendoff, but it's possible his career in SF is done. If so, farewell to my favorite 49er ever.

4) Hyde: Until he and another got hurt, I thought we had a real chance. So much power and energy. He's got a real future. It will be interesting to see how the next coach uses him. I see those cutback runs that Seattle runs and it makes me wonder how Hyde would do in a Zone blocking scheme.

5) Borland: Speed exposed a bit again, but when he and Hyde went out...it was over. They could no longer run the ball nor consistently stop it. When you are on your 3rd NT, and 3rd and 5th ILBs and that's Marshawn Lynch running at you...bad stuff will happen. Still, they gave it a valiant effort, but all those injuries took a toll.

6) Injuries: About those injuries...CRAZY. Assuming Aldon starts the last two games, the Niners 3 best players on defense will have played 13 of 48 possible starts this year. Tramaine Brock has played, what, 1 or 2 games all year? Culliver is out. Ian Williams and Glenn Dorsey both out. Despite all of that, the 49ers are STILL the 3rd ranked defense in the NFL. There is a reason for that...more on that later.

On offense, The Niners have played most of the year with Jonathan Martin at RT. They are playing a backup guard at Center because they've lost both the centers on their roster. They went into the year with Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter, Carlos Hyde, LaMichael James, and Marcus Lattimore at RB. Yesterdy, with the game on the line, they were handing off to Alphonso Smith. W.T.F. Its like all the injuries they weren't getting the last three years all stacked up into this year.

7) Rookies: Here's the silver lining though. We've seen a lot more of Hyde, Borland, Lynch, (Marcus) Martin, Bruce Ellington and Dontae Johnson than we ever expected and ALL of them at times have played very well. Ward struggled early but played better before he was hurt. We also get to see Brandon Thomas, Keith Reaser, Kenneth Acker (who looked good in preseason), Kaleb Ramsey, and Trey Millard next year. That's like another whole draft class on top of the one we are about to draft.

Plus....

8) Coming back: In addition to those rookies and players who were drafted injured, we'll get 2 All-World LBs back. We'll get a full year of Aldon Smith. We'll be putting a 100+ tackle Rookie of the Year candidate on the bench because he's not as good as the guys coming back. We'll get both Centers and our RT back. Hell, maybe Vernon comes back healthy (not holding my breath).

9) Fresh start: I really kinda started a few weeks ago, but I've now moved full on to looking forward to the offseason and next year. I love watching Niner games and I'll be watching these final 2, but there is a part of me that just kinda wishes they could shut it down now. I don't want ANOTHER injury hanging over the offseason they was it has the last 2 (Crabtree last year, Bowman this year). Obviously, it doesn't work that way, so I'll just be hoping for health these next two weeks.

Wouldn't it be nice to have an offseason with no arrests, no injuries, no coaching drama...just a nice little optimistic offseason? Probably a new head coach so no "will he stay or will he go" drama. No "does the coach get along with the GM" or "are the players tired of the coach" BS reported all over the media.

I don't want Harbaugh to leave, but I have to admit there is a part of me that looks forward to all the stuff that goes on around him being gone...I just hope that one of those things isn't winning.

10) Who do I root for?: Hrmm....Do I really wanna see Seattle win it again? I respect the hell out of that team from an on the field talent standpoint...but the TALKING just makes me want them to lose. If they could just win without being so damn obnoxious about it, I'd probably root for them simply because I respect the way they play the game.

So...and I NEVER thought I'd say this before because I've ALWAYS considered them our biggest historical rival, I wouldn't mind seeing the Cowboys take the NFC.

Wow...I'm gonna get flamed bad for that one.

11) One more: Had to add one more this week. MAN it was nice to see Tank Carradine get in there and do his thing. If he could develop that would be HUGE moving forward. Clear that he is still learning the position and he will make mistakes, but the guy has a gift for getting after the QB. He's displayed it on every level and was flashing in the preseason. I hope he really gets some playing time in these last few games.
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
Agree about Harbaugh. Love the coach and love the team winning, but something has to change. Hoping for a good hire.

Agree on Tank. His sack was a screen pass that was covered but he got some pressure on the QB earlier as well. A small bright spot.
Good breakdown but that pass to VD was on Kaep. It sailed way over his head. I do agree VD is just not physically right. His play is horrendous. I really hope that wasn't Frank's last play. But he did go down trying to help out with a block down field. Tank should get half of RayMac's reps and half of Cowboy's reps going forward.
[ Edited by lamontb on Dec 15, 2014 at 9:52 AM ]
I agree about kap. I think he spent most of the season trying to be something he is not. his interviews were awkward, and at times his play was even worse. I think it's universally accepted that he was better when he played the game the way he knows how. I don't think that means that we should unleash them on every play and let him run around, but I do think it means we should use a moving pocket more often and give him an opportunity to create. I really hope that all of this bodes well for next season because I would hate for him to waste his career trying to be something he's not.
Who would you like to see as Head Coach (3 options)? I love Pep Hamilton. I think if we have a quarterback developer coach who knows offense, Pep is perfect. Gase is a offensive guru too, with 49er ties as well. But I'm sure Tomsula will be hired and I'm not sure it's the right move. Agree on Vernon. I feel he isn't into the game as much, and that's on coaching a lot. He had no impact this year and that killed us. I just hope and pray Funchess drops to 2nd round and we snag him. Lol. But I did see some positives from Kap. He did seem calm and connected on big time 3rd downs. His future is bright. Agree on OG, I wish we could've got him a ring. I'll always love Frank and what he's brought to this team. He's been through thick and thin and he deserves a ring as much as Justin does. Go 9ers, on to next year. By the way, would you start Gabbert/Johnson these 2 weeks? Let the youngsters play?
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
What I hated the most is the fact that we went about the Seahawks' business.. and what I mean by that is we just went w/the flow.. . Why is it that we never challege these guys??

We don't bother calling a play where our WR goes deep.. and hope for at least a PI.. instead, we run hooks, dragg and draws..

Do we bother scratching our head we have a similar type of running QB but yet only their QB can still run the spread option and KEEP the ball??

How do we give up a 3rd or 2nd and 32????

It sucks cause the bette Seattle got, the more we play them NOT TO LOSE type of game..
Naw, that throw to VD early was off. To the outside and going out of bound is correct, but it was too high . Lots of HOF qb have had those misses. But that was there and it was a missed thrown ball.
Aside from the drama and off field s**t, 2014 will always be the year of injury to me. Essentially the guys that made us who we were under Harbs were not available in 2014. Its a shame because it really does feel like we were robbed of a special season.

Oh well it's on the a fresh 2015 season.
10) Who do I root for?: Hrmm....Do I really wanna see Seattle win it again? I respect the hell out of that team from an on the field talent standpoint...but the TALKING just makes me want them to lose. If they could just win without being so damn obnoxious about it, I'd probably root for them simply because I respect the way they play the game.

So...and I NEVER thought I'd say this before because I've ALWAYS considered them our biggest historical rival, I wouldn't mind seeing the Cowboys take the NFC.

• 9moon
  • Veteran
I'd like to see a three match between Detroit and Green Bay before the better team goes to the Super Bowl..

Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Naw, that throw to VD early was off. To the outside and going out of bound is correct, but it was too high . Lots of HOF qb have had those misses. But that was there and it was a missed thrown ball.

It could have been a better throw, but I think Vernon of 2 years ago or even last year could have gotten to it. I could be wrong. Just my impression.

I know he says he's healthy, but I really think he's lost his speed. He's not running well. It seems like he's really laboring at times. Is it age? Is it his back? Dunno, but for a guy who was the fastest at his position and a great blocker, he's become a nonfactor in the pass game and misses blocks on a regular basis.

Something is wrong with him.
  • thl408
The injuries are bordering lol status. Already IR'ed the #2 and #3 TEs - lose the #4. Already IR'ed #1 and #2 ILBs, lose #3. Been skating by with just 2 tailbacks all season, lose both. Playing with backups at LCB, RCB, slot CB, C, RT. Injuries are a part of football, but it's been a huge part of this season. f**k this season.
Originally posted by 951NINER:

HEHE.

What can I say...I like RBs. I like the run game.
Originally posted by thl408:
The injuries are bordering lol status. Already IR'ed the #2 and #3 TEs - lose the #4. Already IR'ed #1 and #2 ILBs, lose #3. Been skating by with just 2 tailbacks all season, lose both. Playing with backups at LCB, RCB, slot CB, C, RT. Injuries are a part of football, but it's been a huge part of this season. f**k this season.

This.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

It could have been a better throw, but I think Vernon of 2 years ago or even last year could have gotten to it. I could be wrong. Just my impression.

I know he says he's healthy, but I really think he's lost his speed. He's not running well. It seems like he's really laboring at times. Is it age? Is it his back? Dunno, but for a guy who was the fastest at his position and a great blocker, he's become a nonfactor in the pass game and misses blocks on a regular basis.

Something is wrong with him.

I agree. Probably been playing hurt since at least mid season. I don't remember what game, but it was somewhere early in the first qtr of the season that he got hit in the back as he was going down with the ball. He was never the same after that.
Share 49ersWebzone