LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 293 users in the forums

Let me challenge you

Shop Find 49ers gear online
First, imagine a scenario where you can get anyone to coach the 49ers next season, including the coaches who are under contract with another team. It doesn't matter whether that person would want to coach the 49ers. Please list the candidates who would rank higher than Jim Harbaugh.

Now back to reality, out of this list who rank higher than Jim Harbaugh, who can the 49ers realistically get?
Lol, wut
JON GRUDEN, PARCELLS, SEAN PAYTON, HOLMGREN, DARYL BEVELL, ADAM GASE
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Lombardi
Walsh
Madden....

You said anyone......
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
JON GRUDEN, PARCELLS, SEAN PAYTON, HOLMGREN, DARYL BEVELL, ADAM GASE

1) Hell no.
2) Too old. Would we even throw the ball?
3) Too old and out of the game for many years. I would not mind seeing him as a consultant.
4) Bevell gets a lot of flack. Im half and half on him. He uses his personnel in Seattle effectively, but I really don't know if he can do more. I certainly haven't seen more out of him. That could be based on the limitations of the offensive personnel.

Sean Payton would be the ideal candidate. He would run the offense and let Fangio handle the defense. Problem solved.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
ehh
wed need a completely different offensive setup for a sean payton offense. that offense is based on precision routes. our offense is the anti-precision passing offense.

its not happening anyway, so whatevs

you know what, Id actually get mike martz back here again. Im serious. he can keep kaep under control (cutler best year for bears was with martz) and since VD cant catch anymore its a perfect match !
  • krizay
  • Veteran
i honestly dont think we can get a better football coach. However at this point it almost have to be done. ,

But challenge accepted.

1. Vic Fangio (on the condition he fires Roman)
2. Urban Myer
3. Dude coaching Stanford now

distant 4th

4. Kevin Sumlin (as an Aggie fan i'm a little leery cause he too likes to pass too much despite the RBs being the best part of the offense. Though last few games seems like he realized that) Also would need to keep some defensive coaches we have now if now Fangio

In no particular order

Holmgrem
Gruden
Stoops
Originally posted by krizay:
i honestly dont think we can get a better football coach. However at this point it almost have to be done.

I'm sorry, but any coach that is unwilling to address a problem on his team is not a very good coach at the end of the day. That is not a debatable statement. A good coach is always looking to improve, not stay the same (even when things are working, you're still looking to get even better).

Having said that, it is obvious that the offense is a problem. It is also obvious that no changes have been made to correct this problem. Many will say the main problem is Greg Roman (I happen to agree with that 100%). Others will say that Jim Harbaugh's offensive scheme/philosophy is the real problem and that Roman is only doing what Harbaugh wants him to do. Either way, Harbaugh is to blame because if the problem does lie with Roman, Jim has done NOTHING TO FIX IT. If the problem lies in Harbaugh's scheme/philosophy, Jim has done NOTHING TO FIX IT. That is NOT something you would be able to say about a GOOD coach.

As for who might be a better choice (and is available)... I don't know, but somebody will certainly be given the opportunity. There are many unknown commodities, as far as head coaches go. I do believe, based on the deficiency attributed to Harbaugh above, that we can find a better coach. Whether that happens or not might be a different story.

I wanted Harbaugh here prior to 2011. I was ecstatic when we signed him. But looking back on it, he has proven to be a far superior coach to Singletary and Nolan, but he also walked onto a team with a stacked roster that the two he replaced just didn't know how to utilize. The defense has always been stacked and I can't help but think that a proficient offense to go along with it would have resulted in at least one, maybe 2 championships over the past 3 seasons. I just don't think that Harbaugh is irreplaceable and I don't believe that another coach with a better offensive scheme/philosophy and coordinator couldn't have had the same or more success.
[ Edited by Empire49 on Dec 14, 2014 at 8:35 PM ]
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
1) Hell no.
3) Too old and out of the game for many years. I would not mind seeing him as a consultant.
4) Bevell gets a lot of flack. Im half and half on him. He uses his personnel in Seattle effectively, but I really don't know if he can do more. I certainly haven't seen more out of him. That could be based on the limitations of the offensive personnel.

Sean Payton would be the ideal candidate. He would run the offense and let Fangio handle the defense. Problem solved.

how would Payton even be an option? no way he leaves NO.

Harbaugh is overrated. I'd take any hot candidate (Gase, Bevell etc) over him and his cancerous attitude and offense
McDaniels
Originally posted by Janitor:
Lombardi
Walsh
Madden....

You said anyone......

What about the second question. The first 2 are dead. Would Madden want to coach at this point. Also, do you seriously think Madden at this age can still coach???
Originally posted by jeepzilla:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
1) Hell no.

how would Payton even be an option? no way he leaves NO.

This. Thank you
Originally posted by teylo31:
McDaniels

How has he done when he is not under Bill Belicheck. He failed in Denver and St Louis.

Now he is still young so he might be better now, but I think it is risky at this point to pick him.
Share 49ersWebzone