LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 270 users in the forums

2014 defensive back/safety class?

I'm pretty certain that we didn't take another safety because well just replace Whitner with a high draft pick next year...with our many, many picks.

I think that 3 CBS are also FAs and Rogers won't come back without a contract renegotiation.

so, what are we looking at for 2014? I heard the other LSU safety is lights out...another tiger?
Originally posted by nickbradley:
I'm pretty certain that we didn't take another safety because well just replace Whitner with a high draft pick next year...with our many, many picks.

I think that 3 CBS are also FAs and Rogers won't come back without a contract renegotiation.

so, what are we looking at for 2014? I heard the other LSU safety is lights out...another tiger?

Yeah I bet we draft a CB higher. Trent Robinson is the S of the future!
Haha Clinton-Dix, from Alabama... Just for his name

But in all seriousness, next years class has a ton of DB's projected to be highly rated prospects..

I'm a fan of taking one of the Florida corners in the first round next year, Loucheiz Purifoy or Marcus Roberson

Or they already have their replacement for Whitner in-house?

I'm thinking CB will be the biggest need by far next year. Brown and Cox could leave as free agents, Rogers could be cut and Culliver's contract will be up the following season.
I mean anything can happen in an entire college season but it looks deep at CB.

CB Bradley Roby, Ohio State (5-11, 190)
CB Jason Verrett, TCU (5-10, 182, 4.49)
CB Loucheiz Purifoy, Florida (6-0, 190, 4.47)
CB Aaron Colvin, Oklahoma (6-0, 182, 4.47)
CB Quandre Diggs, Texas (5--10, 200, 4.48)
CB Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, Oregon (5-10, 190, 4.52)
CB Marcus Roberson, Florida (6-0, 186, 4.52)
Brugler, from CBS, mocks CB/WR Louchiez Purifoy (Florida) to the niners at #32 in next years draft. Rang and others have the 9ers taking a DT (Rang = Louis Nix III--DT, from ND). Purifoy is moving to WR next year and may be playing both ways.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Apr 30, 2013 at 8:52 PM ]
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Yeah I bet we draft a CB higher. Trent Robinson is the S of the future!

He's done nothing so far.I mean, I thought he was a good sleeper pick, but...
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Brugler, from CBS, mocks CB/WR Louchiez Purifoy (Florida) to the niners at #32 in next years draft. Rang and others have the 9ers taking a DT (Rang = Louis Nix III--DT, from ND). Purifoy is moving to WR next year and may be playing both ways.

No one plays CB and WR in the NFL. Gotta pick one to be a high draft pick, imho.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
No one plays CB and WR in the NFL. Gotta pick one to be a high draft pick, imho.

He is said to be playing both ways next year...in college. I did not mean to indicate he would play both ways in the NFL.

PS--You might want to read about him. His coach is so keen on his athletic ability that, lacking in true WRs, he may be used there. Speaks volumes.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on May 1, 2013 at 7:00 AM ]
Charles Woodson played a little WR and returned punts as well when he took home the Heisman.

Originally posted by GoldenJoe:

^^^Solid list for the contenders for 1st round picks. Another name to add is:

CB Andre Hal, Vanderbilt (6-0, 184lbs)

For safeties, I'd say the early 1st round contenders from only the players of the SEC/Big 12/PAC 12 (still working on other conferences)

FS
Ty Zimmerman, Kansas St (6-1, 200lbs)
Ed Reynolds, Stanford, (6-2 205lbs)
Aaron Colvin, Oklahoma (6-0, 181lbs)
Kenny Ladler, Vanderbilt (6-1, 205lbs)

SS
Craig Loston, LSU (6-2, 205lbs)
Sam Carter*, TCU (6-1, 220lbs)
Vinnie Sunseri*, Alabama (6-0, 215lbs)

Zimmerman, Reynolds, Colvin, and Loston are right now expected to be 1st rounders.
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on May 1, 2013 at 11:05 AM ]
Nice early list, Reybolds is a beast! Know FSU has some kids don't they? Looking forward to that S list with Whitner's contract coming to an end shortly.
[ Edited by GoldenJoe on May 1, 2013 at 11:54 AM ]
Nice early list, Reybolds is a beast! Know FSU has some kids don't they? Looking forward to that S list with Whitner's contract coming to an end shortly.

Brooks and Joyner will both be safeties and are both returning starters. Joyner is very athletic and right now the better prospect, but he is small. I think he is like 5'8 or 5'9?

For the ACC, I'm looking at Tre Boston out of North Carolina. A very highly ranked recruit from Florida who has bounced back and forther between corner and safety.
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on May 1, 2013 at 1:06 PM ]

some of these names trip me out. Lets go Ifo!

Craig Loston simply destroys people with his hitting

And he has some speed.

But he has never stayed injury free for an entire season. Likely a 3rd round pick, but I would love to have him at the SS and on special teams.
Share 49ersWebzone