LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 337 users in the forums

2014 defensive back/safety class?

Originally posted by buck:
Bradley Roby lowered his draft stock.

Roby was arrested early Sunday morning in Bloomington, Ind. and is facing preliminary charges of battery resulting in bodily injury.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2013-07-22/carlos-hyde-dismissed-female-assault-person-of-interest-ohio-state-buckeyes

Good. Hopefully he gets busted smoking some pot too so we can have a chance at 32.
Originally posted by eonblue:
Good. Hopefully he gets busted smoking some pot too so we can have a chance at 32.

Even if he gets arrested for something, I don't see any scenario wherein Roby is drafted lower than 10th overall. He's probably the 2nd best CB prospect since Revis in 2007 (behind Patrick Peterson of course).
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Ha Ha Clinton-Dix would be great next to Reid. Dix can cover like a CB.
Bene Benwikere!

Fales has failed me so far but Bene has been Ballin so far
Originally posted by pd24:

Definitely agree! In our system, I would say the safeties are more important. Plus safeties are more cost effective which may be beneficial to us.
Our secondary will be the primary concern next year, obviously. I'm sure Baalke with find some decent players, even starting caliber, in FA. It would not surprise me to see him draft and OLB or ILB high either-with the amount of money currently being spent on our LB's corps, especially after A. Smith gets a new deal, it simply isn't sustainable. We will be spending 35 million on our starting LB's altogether. That is insane.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Baalke simply draft BPA with an eye on the secondary...and not pay too much attention to needs. Baalke generally doesn't put himself in a situation where he must draft for need.
I agree with the guys that like clintondix. can you imagine him paired with reid?
Originally posted by outside4949:
I agree with the guys that like clintondix. can you imagine him paired with reid?

Clinton-Dix is my draft crush. Ive seen 3 Alabama games this year Vtech, Ole Miss, ans TAM. His role ia very demanding too as Saban has him cover gaps, spy qbs, and watch the middle from 10-20 yards out and he doesn't miss tackles hardly ever. I cant recall him missing a tackle this year. He is such a reliable peraon to have at the top of the.formation. He does all this as the only safety deep too since Bama likes to drop the strong safety into the box. Against TAM hes having to.cover the deep route against the spread. Watching 5 wrs and spying manziel is no easy task yet he didnt make a single mistake. He was the top safety in his class out of high school and he will be thw top safety in the draft. I think hes about as blue chip as they get. I could see him going top 15 so we may not get a chance to even trade up but we did it for Reid and i hope Baalke is aggressive in pursuing Clinton-Dix. I know we need a CB bad but safety tandem of Reid/Dix would be elevate the entire secondary. Crossing my fingers the FO makes it happen.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by pd24:

Ha Ha no.
I know I don't want Craig Loston.

Originally posted by Kolohe:
Ha Ha no.

I bet he could handle off man as good as any safety. I wouldn't put him any closer than 5 yards though.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by eonblue:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Ha Ha no.

I bet he could handle off man as good as any safety. I wouldn't put him any closer than 5 yards though.

I made the comment in reference to his name and not his talent. In other words I was just kidding about him.
Ha Ha Clinton Dix + Eric Reid would be a lethal combo that would wreak absolute havoc on opposing teams

Want him, but I doubt we draft a safety in the first round. I think CB will be a slightly higher priority as many CBs on the current roster will be free agents after this year, Cully coming off an ACL, and this area could really use an upgrade when it comes to youth, speed, and strength to begin with. Jason Verrett, Ifo Ekpre-Olumu, Louichiez Purifoy (many others), all guys I'm keeping an eye on this year.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Ohio State CB Bradley Roby:

Roby is one of the most talented cornerbacks in the country, but he had a brutal night against Wisconsin. He spent most of the game lined up opposite of Wisconsin wide receiver Jared Abbrederis and was unable to contain the Badgers' senior pass-catcher. Abbrederis finished the game with 10 catches for 207 yards and a touchdown. Roby was caught guessing at times, and other times he was simply out-run or out-muscled for the football. His inability to locate and play the ball at the highest point is a major concern. Roby did have an interception in the game, but it was the result of a horrible throw from Wisconsin's Joel Stave. Roby was in off-coverage and the ball was thrown directly to him.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000253673/article/5-up-5-down-mettenbergers-stock-on-rise-kiffins-plummets
I'm not a huge fan of this safety class.

I'm hoping Eric Reid takes over as the SS next year & Whitner bolts. That means I'd want another Eric Reid type of player (which is a lot to ask). But I want them to err on the side of coverage ability over tackling / run support. There aren't a lot of safeties I like for that role in this draft.
Share 49ersWebzone