LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 275 users in the forums

2014 defensive back/safety class?

Originally posted by schexyoung:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
so, what are we looking at for 2014? I heard the other LSU safety is lights out...another tiger?

Craig Loston simply destroys people with his hitting

And he has some speed.

But he has never stayed injury free for an entire season. Likely a 3rd round pick, but I would love to have him at the SS and on special teams.
He looks good. Will see if he can stay healthy this season. Has some speed for sure.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Marcus Williams CB
5-11 195

North Dakota St--back to back National Champs

Games--43

Int--18
PBU--31
PD--49

TA--53
TS--86
TT--139
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GoldenJoe:
I mean anything can happen in an entire college season but it looks deep at CB.

CB Bradley Roby, Ohio State (5-11, 190)
CB Jason Verrett, TCU (5-10, 182, 4.49)
CB Loucheiz Purifoy, Florida (6-0, 190, 4.47)
CB Aaron Colvin, Oklahoma (6-0, 182, 4.47)
CB Quandre Diggs, Texas (5--10, 200, 4.48)
CB Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, Oregon (5-10, 190, 4.52)
CB Marcus Roberson, Florida (6-0, 186, 4.52)

I'm a big Aaron Colvin fan. I'll be watching him closely this season.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hopper:
I'm a big Aaron Colvin fan. I'll be watching him closely this season.

Some of the lists have Colvin as a CB; others have him at FS.

Does his versatility make him a good pick for us? I tend to think it might.
[ Edited by buck on May 27, 2013 at 1:02 PM ]
Florida has some heavy hitters at CB. Craig Loston and Clinton-Dix are going to have breakout years. I might be wrong in saying this but the SEC secondary really suits are style. Strong and fast man coverage corners and big bodied safeties.
Add USC's Dion Bailey to this list. #18 OLB/S 6ft. 210lbs. Straight up playmaker and ballhawk, played Safety freshman year, moved to will LB last year due to depth and his tackling ability, will move back to safety this year. My favorite prospect after Ha-Ha. Kid is badass, watch any USC game and he stands out, he'll break out this year at his better position at safety
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
No one plays CB and WR in the NFL. Gotta pick one to be a high draft pick, imho.

Devin Hester played mostly both DB & WR in college. I think Chris Gamble played both as well.

There were a lot of college players who were recruited as defensive backs & played wide receiver and vice versa. Tedd Ginn Jr. was recruited as a DB, and he probably should have stayed there honestly.
Ed Reynolds all the way for me !,, Imagine this ballhawk and moving another smart, big, heady safety (Reid), to SS..
Originally posted by toppdogg32:
Ed Reynolds all the way for me !,, Imagine this ballhawk and moving another smart, big, heady safety (Reid), to SS..

I wouldn't describe Reynold as a ball hawk. Yea he's in the right place at the right time but as far as a predatory animal that plucks balls from the air I don't think so. With that being said he's an exceptional FS. I think he has the understanding of the position of a top 10 prospect but he doesn't capitalize and all to frequently lets the INT slip through his hand. I'll be looking for him to have his best year yet. He plays my most favorite position on my most favorite college defense. The Stanford front 7 are going to run the Pac. If you don't know who Trent Murphy, Ryan Anderson, Ben Gardner, and Shayne Skov are then your sleeping.
I like Ed Reynolds simply because he went stanford and that means he'll be able to step into our defense without having to learn the play book.i also like Bradley roby cause he's a complete corner.hes physical on the line and plays the ball well along with making good hits and tackles.justin Gilbert and Aaron Colvin are also great corners.gilbert is more of a ballhawk whereas Colvin can do both but is more physical.i can see the 9ers taking gilbert at the bottom of the second and trading up forReynolds or passing on him and taking haha Clinton-Dix.

Purifoy has already been playing both ways, he is still a CB at heart though.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
My Draft crush this upcoming season will be Justin Gilbert 6'0" 194 lbs outta Oklahoma St. Awesome ball skills and he can return punts.

(posted this in another thread)

You like Gilbert as a CB or S at the NFL level? He was great two years ago but suffered some set backs last year. Needs to work on his backpedal and instincts but his size is great and his return skills are really tremendous. That's a good one to keep an eye on. He plays a lot of zone at OK St. but I think he would be okay in a man scheme too.
[ Edited by GoldenJoe on Jul 11, 2013 at 6:21 PM ]
Originally posted by Kolohe:
My Draft crush this upcoming season will be Justin Gilbert 6'0" 194 lbs outta Oklahoma St. Awesome ball skills and he can return punts.

(posted this in another thread)

Realky like this kid
  • buck
  • Veteran
Bradley Roby lowered his draft stock.

Roby was arrested early Sunday morning in Bloomington, Ind. and is facing preliminary charges of battery resulting in bodily injury.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2013-07-22/carlos-hyde-dismissed-female-assault-person-of-interest-ohio-state-buckeyes

Suspension likely

"I think there will be discipline involved," Meyer told NFL Draft 365 at Big Ten media days. "I imagine there will be a suspension involved. He'll be on a very short leash."

The weekend arrest was apparently not the first sign of trouble for Roby. Cleveland.com reported Bryant had been told ahead of Roby's arrest to be ready to fill in for Roby because he had been having issues with grades.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000220758/article/urban-meyer-suspension-short-leash-in-store-for-bradley-roby
[ Edited by buck on Jul 25, 2013 at 4:48 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone