LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 247 users in the forums

Mike Holmgren is highly interested in becoming the 49ers' next head coach

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
Would you really want a new, 66-year-old head coach who hasn't coached in about a decade?

Yes
Yes, i'll take it.
90 year old Holmgren! No thanks... Kevin Sumlin please!!
Holmgren fans i want an answer to this:

Even though he is 67 the team is ready now so we could compete for a sb for 2-4 years yet until Holmgren would retire. The bad news is how long would it take to put in the WCO and get Kap up to speed and turn him into a better pocket passer? If he wants to install the WCO wouldn't it take 2-3 years and by the time we get rolling is Holmgren going to still want to coach?

Also, what worries me is Holmgren won more than 10 games (11 lock for playoffs these days) 5 times out of 17 years. Harbaugh did that 3 times in his first 3 years (well now 3 out of 4 years). I'm seeing a lot of 9-7 years, 7 times out of 17 which is not good enough for the playoffs these days in the NFC. Plus he hasn't been a HC in what 6 years. I don't know, Holmgren and Gruden's best days might be behind them. People I think get caught up in the big names(the gruden, cowhers, dungy's) but I don't think they are the saviors everyone wants them to be. The game probably passed them by. Gruden's been out for 6 years too but one argument in his favor is he's 51 not 66. Also, Holmgren would probably want a say in personnel which is probably a no no. 2nd, he would probably call the plays which I don't think gets the most out of you as a coach on game days. Those types tend to be bad in other areas although he does have a ton of experience on game days. It's been so long can't remember how he handled both duties. 3rd, if he doesn't plan on calling the plays he probably brings some over the hill washed up oc. Someone who wouldn't be a part of our future. He doesn't really work with young guys, he likes vets.
  • THEB
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
The 49ers don't need a new head coach they need a new offense of Cordinator

offense of cordinator. thats a first for me.
Originally posted by THEB:
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
The 49ers don't need a new head coach they need a new offense of Cordinator

offense of cordinator. thats a first for me.

there is no defense of offense of coordinator.
  • Huego
  • Veteran
harbaugh > holmgren
Originally posted by baltien:
Read: Mike Holmgren is highly interested in becoming the next coach of whatever organization that is stupid enough to hire him.

BOOM

/thread
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Holmgren fans i want an answer to this:

Even though he is 67 the team is ready now so we could compete for a sb for 2-4 years yet until Holmgren would retire. The bad news is how long would it take to put in the WCO and get Kap up to speed and turn him into a better pocket passer? If he wants to install the WCO wouldn't it take 2-3 years and by the time we get rolling is Holmgren going to still want to coach?

He can install a true WCO within one off-season. We'll still have a great defense. If the O is just marginally better next year which Holmgren can do, we'd have a chance to go to the Superbowl.
There's no way the offense can be worse next season. We're now scoring 17.9 PPG. 2010 Singletary/Raye/Johnson offense scored 19.2 PPG.

Originally posted by NinerJedi:
He can install a true WCO within one off-season. We'll still have a great defense. If the O is just marginally better next year which Holmgren can do, we'd have a chance to go to the Superbowl.

1 year? must be with a west coast vet qb not sure where we are going to find one. how many college guys are west coast guys these days? with kap i dont see it taking less than 2-3.
Share 49ersWebzone