LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 243 users in the forums

Jon Gruden Expresses Interest in 49er Job

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ClassicNiner:
Name me one former coach who has left the luxury and security of the broadcast booth to go back to coaching. And Gruden never was that good. He was his SB with Dungy's team, and was particularly bad with QB's. No thanks!

Vermeil.
  • MuggD
  • Veteran
Gruden sure did f**k up that Tampa team in his last few years. He's never had a real good QB either, despite his desperate attempts to find one.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Vermeil.

Phoenix, I'm curious how you would rank these guys from most wanted to least for our next HC?

Random Order:
Harbaugh (new o staff)
Gase
Gruden
Holmgren
Bowles
Hamilton
Tomsula
Fangio
Bevell
McDaniels
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Dec 14, 2014 at 9:16 AM ]
Originally posted by FL9er:
Serious reservations if true. As far as I'm concerned he's a Harbaugh clone in terms of being difficult to work with.

45-53 with Tampa Bay, pretty much pushes out the GM that built the team in a power struggle, gets his preferred GM to work there, his preferred GM sucks balls, team falls apart. Bucs still havent won a playoff game since they won the Superbowl.

Highly overrated coach.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Name me one former coach who has left the luxury and security of the broadcast booth to go back to coaching. And Gruden never was that good. He was his SB with Dungy's team, and was particularly bad with QB's. No thanks!

Vermeil.

What does the broadcast booth have to do with it? The question should be stated and 'Which former coach has made a coaching comeback after being away for several seasons'.

Tom Flores had a significant time off between coaching stints, but I believe he was a GM in between. Denny Green had a couple of years between coaching gigs too. I bet there are many others.
[ Edited by Bluesbro on Dec 14, 2014 at 9:20 AM ]
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Lol don't trust the site but it's not a secret that he loves the niners and I bet he would be excited to work with this team. I actually like his broadcasting though. Probably the only one that does lol.

I will be cool with Jon Gruden. I like his commentary too, he is about the only analyst/broadcaster who knows what is going on.

lol, he turned the raiders around who were perennial losers. In superbowl 37, the team he took to the superbowl (bucs) and the team he single handily built (the raiders) met in the superbowl. lol, what a dumb ass statement.

With that said, I do not want him here because he's been away from coaching for seven years and i think the game has changed so much since he coached that he wouldnt have the same effect on the game.
As long as harbaugh is our coach, I doubt that gruden said anything about this job
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Lol don't trust the site but it's not a secret that he loves the niners and I bet he would be excited to work with this team. I actually like his broadcasting though. Probably the only one that does lol.

I love his Monday night broadcasting, I think he's one of the best lol

Originally posted by Gore_21:
Phoenix, I'm curious how you would rank these guys from most wanted to least for our next HC?

Random Order:
Harbaugh (new o staff)
Gase
Gruden
Holmgren
Bowles
Hamilton
Tomsula
Fangio
Bevell
McDaniels

My favorite like I've mentioned is Gase. Forget coaching for the moment, the guy's demeanor really impresses the heck out of me. Its such a total 180 from the stuff we've been hearing from recent 49ers coaches. He doesn't seem the least bit dogmatic in his approach to things. If Option A doesn't work, he seems like a guy who has no problem trying B, C and D instead of doubling down on A. He doesn't have that stubborn mindset that "this is how we do things, and will continue to do things" period. That's what I've been looking for in a head coach. Beyond that, offensively his approach and how he's described it sounds right on the money, talking about being aggressive, making the offense define the defense and not the other way around, finding out an opponent's weaknesses and then attacking them with reckless abandon...etc . I think he's a fresh face with the mindset to be a damn good coach but you never really know for sure until these guys throw on that headset and are forced to manage a whole team, rather than just the offense or defense. Some guys have that skill, some guys clearly don't....IE...Norv.,..Wade Phillips...etc

Beyond that, Holmgren, Hamilton, Tomsula and Bowles are near the top of my list as well.
Can't find any reputable source for this and I personally think it highly unlikely that he would leak this comment right now. So....
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
no surprise to me,,, i know this is the one job he would step out of the booth for,, and trust me, alot of niner fans who love Jh would be on board with this. you can tell in his play by play he is chomping at the bits to do something with our offense that roman was either unable or unwilling to do,
Share 49ersWebzone