LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 269 users in the forums

What changes would you make?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Can the offensive coaches except Rathman.
Trade Boone or A. Davis
Trade V. Davis
Draft (with a trade up if necessary or trade for a veteran), the future #1 WR.
Let Gore go.
Let Brooks, Crabs and Lloyd go.
Go to a three-wide base offense.
Give Kaep one more year to improve
Order Kaep to work on his touch passing during the off-season
Draft a 2nd round QB.
1. Hire the best offensive minded head coach available and hope there isn't too much of a drop off in the quality of head coach (because I think Harbaugh is a very good head coach - but things are so messed up now, it's probably better if he moves on).

2. Hopefully be able to convince Fangio to stay.

3. In the first round of the draft, snag a speedster wide receiver that is also an excellent route runner with good hands and smart.

4. Take the best guard or tackle available in the next round.

5. Cross my fingers that Kap will flourish under the new offensive scheme.

6. Hope that Gore and Justin Smith have at least one more good year left.
The Niners have a snowballs chance in hell of making the playoffs imo so to end the season I would switch some things up. I would move Boone to RT and play Looney in his place @ G. I would give Hyde the majority of the snaps at rb. I would also increase the frequency that Raymac or Cowboy is subbed out for one of our younger guys.

I would start trying some things out that I wouldn't want to do during a season that matters and since this 1 really doesn't at this point it's the perfect time to see what we got in some of our younger guys in game action against opponents that will be playing for playoff positioning.
[ Edited by WINiner on Dec 14, 2014 at 8:59 AM ]
This is what you do. (looks at post above)
Hard to draft a legit pocket passer high in the draft when there will be no legit pocket passer worthy of said selection. Cook is staying in school. Winston is going top 5.
  • dj43
Originally posted by InsertNameHere:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Get new ownership that has a clue.

One can only wish....

The owners did not draft Kaepernick or send Alex Smith to KC.

The owners did not realize that Andrew Luck made Jim Harbaugh, not the other way around. That is on them, however, other NFL teams would have made the same mistake.

Fire Harbaugh and Roman. Hire recognized pass oriented HC and OC. Must have instant cred with players to salvage the remaining vet talent here.

Try to keep most of defensive staff.

Rebuild OL to be more mobile. May not be as big a job if Thomas proves to be real deal.

Will need to replace Crabtree (leaves in FA) and likely Boldin. Will have to be through the draft as few FAs will want to play with a dysfunctional pocket passer QB. Need size AND speed.

Aging vet core may be past its prime. Must draft well to replace them.

Sad that Harbaugh's stuborness and Kaepernick's limitations wasted the window this year.
Trade for Gordon he doesnt want to be a brown obviously and new coaching mainly oc but head coach might happen and o-line in the draft
I would promote Greg Roman to head coach
It all starts with a sit down, heart-to-heart with Harbaugh and find out if there's any way he is willing to get rid of Roman, change Offensive philosophy, and stay as HC. If so, work out a contract.

I don't believe that that can happen, so you have to go to plan 2.

A decision has to be made by Baalke and the ownership - do they believe that, under the right system, Kaepernick is viable as not only a good NFL starting QB, but one that can lead the Team to regular runs at the post season amd potentially Superbowl Victory(s). I think it's worth a gamble.

This means they need to bring somebody in who can work with that system and Kap, as well as a QB Coach and OC. This will probably lead to an entirely new Coaching staff with a few possible exceptions (Tomsula - possibly he would become the new DC).

Personnel:
Hate to say it, but it's probably time for Gore to retire. Offer him a position within the organization if he wants it. He would be invaluable if he could spread his outlook and football ethics.

The following leave through FA/Trades/cut: Crabs, V Davis, Brooks. Lloyd.

New Coaching staff decides on the OL - There's something wrong, and I honestly don't know what changes need to be made. Scheme or personnel?

Draft: WR/OL are the top priorities, and a replacement for Cowboy (I think he retires and I don't know if Tank is the answer - sure haven't seen it yet). If there's a good Developmental QB in the mid/late rounds. The WR drafted at the top needs to know how to create separation and is willing to just catch the d@mn ball. Separation can be due to speed, size, good route running, or a combination of all.

FA: Backup QB, Good run stuffing NT (I like Williams and Dorsey, but they seem to get banged up).

Baalke's got some tough choices to make, and we'll know after this off season if the people who like him and think he is a genius are right or not.
Originally posted by MarkD:
The overall record and and success. Also they have beaten the best coaches in the league.

Not when it counts.

I'd love to see what Staley, Martin/Looney/Thomas, Kilgore, Davis, Boone could do but doubt we change things up with Davis making 40 mil. I think Davis would make a better LG or RG than RT and Boone is a better T than guard. Either way just start with a new OL coach. Give Tony Sparano big money or even Drevno big bucks to come back.

As for FA, let most of our free agents go... up in the air on Gore. Cox or Culliver depends on what they want... Nelson or bring back McDermott, possibly Skuta, possibly Wilhoite (id like to draft someone who can cover though), possibly Cook on a vet min for camp competition. Only guy I extend is Aldon Smith, the rest of next year's FA's I'm not worried about. Williams might be worth adding a year or 2 on but he can't stay healthy. Nobody else really earned it yet. With Aldon's contract definitely have to put incentives in there and escalators if suspended or gets in trouble, all that. Make it easy to get out of if need be.

As for trades definitely try and move Vernon for a 3rd or higher because we won't re-sign him and that's what we would get in comp at best is a 3rd-4th. Brooks if we can get a mid round pick... depends if he takes a big paycut or not. If he does then I wouldn't trade him for less than a late 3rd-early 4th... otherwise just keep him. If he won't take a pay cut then take what we can get just to get rid of his salary. Definitely cut Dahl to save 1.7, make Johnson take a pay cut we cant pay a #2 6 mil for the next 2 years although hopefully the new oc will use him. Other restructures and/or pay cuts or possibly even cut: Phil Dawson (4 mil plus), Ray McDonald (5-6 mil in last year), Bowman/Willis (restructure), Kap (restructure)

As for coaching my #1 preference is to keep the entire D staff even if it means adding a year or 2 onto their contracts and giving them a raise. Replace the entire O staff minus Rathman. Give Harbaugh an extension assuming he is willing to replace the O staff (or at least Roman and Solari for starters). He probably wont, he's too loyal and will go down with the ship. If Harbaugh wants to leave I don't fire him, I make someone trade for him. Honestly I think he's worth at least a swap of 1st round picks. You won't find too many more better coaches. To me I'd give up a first for him because a good coach can change a team around, pretty much no FA or draft pick can do that (other than the elite QB). I'd settle for a 2nd, be disappointed with a 3rd outright. Even a swap of 2nds would be not worth it to me.... especially if we are picking say 15-20. So if we lose Harbaugh 2nd choice would be keep the D staff together, get Gruden, Holmgren is intriguing but I think his time has passed him. Honestly, wouldnt be surprised if Gruden's has too. Then probably Fangio or Tomsula, then someone like Gase or Hamilton.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I'd love to see what Staley, Martin/Looney/Thomas, Kilgore, Davis, Boone could do but doubt we change things up with Davis making 40 mil. I think Davis would make a better LG or RG than RT and Boone is a better T than guard. Either way just start with a new OL coach. Give Tony Sparano big money or even Drevno big bucks to come back.

All of this and then some. I imagine the new Raiders coach would want to keep Sparano in the fold but if some reason they didn't, I'd love to see Jed back up the Brinks truck and make him incredibly overpaid as an OL coach. That Raiders OL looked so damn good versus the 49ers, I'd love to have him work this offensive line.

I have been saying for awhile that I think Davis might work better on the inside than the outside where his issues with speed rushers are largely negated and its obvious that Boone has the ability to play tackle and might even be better on the outside than he is on the inside.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Gore_21:

All of this and then some. I imagine the new Raiders coach would want to keep Sparano in the fold but if some reason they didn't, I'd love to see Jed back up the Brinks truck and make him incredibly overpaid as an OL coach. That Raiders OL looked so damn good versus the 49ers, I'd love to have him work this offensive line.

I have been saying for awhile that I think Davis might work better on the inside than the outside where his issues with speed rushers are largely negated and its obvious that Boone has the ability to play tackle and might even be better on the outside than he is on the inside.

A. Davis would probably not like taking the demotion to guard. The Niners have suffered enough with Boone and VD sulking. The OL needs to become faster as well as the RBs and WRs need to be faster. Trade A. Davis or Boone.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
A. Davis would probably not like taking the demotion to guard. The Niners have suffered enough with Boone and VD sulking. The OL needs to become faster as well as the RBs and WRs need to be faster. Trade A. Davis or Boone.

Maybe he, maybe he wouldn't, he'd still be getting paid damn well for it eitherway. I've always thought that he belonged at guard, the only reason he moved from guard to tackle in college is that he was hands down more talented than any other offensive lineman on the team. I would hope that if Harbaugh is gone, the new coach would at least be willing to consider that possibility.
1. Re-org the offensive line -- we need to upgrade this piece of s**t so we can actually have a running & passing game.
2. Reinforce the defensive line -- maybe we need to bring in a stud defensive tackle/end to challenge RayMac or maybe even replace a possibly departing Justin Smith.
3. We definitely need an upgrade at backup ILB -- we need someone who can more suitably replace Willis or Bowman if needed. Trust me if yours truly had the call I would have traded up to select CJ Mosley when he dropped as he did in this past draft.
4. Give CK another off season to work on his QB pocket play. He needs to work extensively with all of his backs, ends, and receivers.
5. Speaking of receivers -- we need to bring in a big, agile, and fast TE who's smart, can pass and run block, and can just simply make moves to get open and catch the damn ball with a huge radius.
6. We're going to need to replace Crabtree, SJ, and possibly Vernon Davis. Replace them with:
A. A TE described in #5 above
B. A speed demon WR in the mold of a TY Hilton or Odell Beckham
C. An all around receiver (speed/jumping) in the mold of an AJ Green, Andre Johnson, Megatron
Share 49ersWebzone