LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 287 users in the forums

Offensive Pace and Tempo

Shop Find 49ers gear online
We currently rank 28th in pace despite throwing the ball a good bit more than almost all of the few teams that play slower than we do.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/pacestats

I understand some of the reasoning behind the slow offensive pace and lack of tempo, but I think it might be the one thing that frustrates me the most about this god awful offense. All of the pre-snap clutter destroys any chance we have of establishing a rhythm. We don't need to be Chip Kelly's Eagles, but it'd be nice to see the ball snapped with more than a second or two on the play clock every now and then.
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
We currently rank 28th in pace despite throwing the ball a good bit more than almost all of the few teams that play slower than we do.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/pacestats

I understand some of the reasoning behind the slow offensive pace and lack of tempo, but I think it might be the one thing that frustrates me the most about this god awful offense. All of the pre-snap clutter destroys any chance we have of establishing a rhythm. We don't need to be Chip Kelly's Eagles, but it'd be nice to see the ball snapped with more than a second or two on the play clock every now and then.

Man that drives me crazy! All the pre snap cra-pola And running the clock down to 1 second. You're right. Its maddening! That has to be Romans doing doesn't it?

[i]it doesn't work!
Originally posted by trooper49:
Man that drives me crazy! All the pre snap cra-pola And running the clock down to 1 second. You're right. Its maddening! That has to be Romans doing doesn't it?

[i]it doesn't work!

Yep, Bruce Miller was talking about it recently. They try to use all of the shifts and motion to get the defense to give up man/zone keys, etc. At this point, teams are using it against us and waiting until the absolute last second to show blitzes and reveal coverages.

With the exception of the stretch after Kap took over in 2012 leading up to the Super Bowl, this offense has never been dynamic and the tempo has a lot to do with it. I understand that ball control and defense are the backbone of our whole philosophy, but jesus it's frustrating to watch.
Who does Roman think he has out there reading defenses? Peyton Manning
I think tempo goes with efficiency. Can't get a good tempo when we are trying to throw 12 yards down the field on first downs or run at predictable times.

Throwing Alex Smith type of passes will help with tempo.
Originally posted by Joecool:
I think tempo goes with efficiency. Can't get a good tempo when we are trying to throw 12 yards down the field on first downs or run at predictable times.

Throwing Alex Smith type of passes will help with tempo.

Agree 100%. Our short to intermediate passing game killed us over the past 3 years and is continuing to kill us this year. It's a huge reason why we're so ineffective on 3rd down and in the red zone.

I also think that our pre-snap clutter has a lot to do with why our short to intermediate passing game is so bad. Tough to go hot when blitzers show with 1 second on the play clock.
Originally posted by trooper49:

[i]it doesn't work!

This!
Share 49ersWebzone