There are 160 users in the forums

O-Line issue question

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 951NINER:
Someone call Derrick Deese and see if he's available.

That was one tough man!

And get me some Kevin Grogan too.
Originally posted by teylo31:

I'd take Ron Stone, Jeremy Newberry and Dave Fiore while we're at it
Originally posted by LayTheWoodall:
Originally posted by teylo31:

I'd take Ron Stone, Jeremy Newberry and Dave Fiore while we're at it

Any one of those guys are probably still better than the performance we're getting right now. I saw Jonathan Martin getting pushed around often like a grown man pushing a child. That's pathetic!
Jonathan Martin gets bull rushed 8-15 feet back by opposing linebackers.. He's a complete joke.. He's like Mr Phieffer, a substitute teacher I had in Junior high.. When the class saw Mr Phieffer, it was party time..
Martin is a total jobber, a fill in.. Get this bum out of here.

and Staley ? Talk about regressed.. If he's supposed to be that leader on the OLine I don't see it.. He's been getting beat like a drum lately and doesn't seen to care at all.
Originally posted by 9erTilDeath:
Jonathan Martin gets bull rushed 8-15 feet back by opposing linebackers.. He's a complete joke.. He's like Mr Phieffer, a substitute teacher I had in Junior high.. When the class saw Mr Phieffer, it was party time..

and Staley ? Talk about regressed.. If he's supposed to be that leader on the OLine I don't see it.. He's been getting beat like a drum lately and doesn't seen to care at all.

well he's a backup on our team. He's not nearly as great as Anthony Davis
Should have cut Martin and activated Bykowski...instead he got picked up by the Vikings.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
We have to get the OL right if we want to get Kap right.
We have definitely had some continuity issues this season. I believe that was issue 1a. Issue 1b in my opinion was the loss of Tom Drevno. For EVERY member of the O-line to regress in the same season is unreal. I am not going to use Alex Boone's holdout as a reason for his poor play. Even though he was away from the team, what was he doing? Aldon Smith was gone for two months, yet it clear from his play in the four games since he's returned that he did SOMETHING during his absence. I'm not sure if the same can be said for Alex Boone.

Regardless as to what happens with our coach, I hope there is open competition for EVERY spot on the O-line this offseason. Just open it all up and see who the five best guys really are going forward. I also may be in the minority here, but I'm more concerned at tackle than I am at guard. Mike Iupati will be gone and I think with Alex Boone either one of three things will happen- he will show the 2014 season was an aberration, he will be traded, or he will play tackle. We have some young guys coming along that should be able to hold down the three interior positions between Daniel Kilgore, Marcus Martin, Brandon Thomas, Joe Looney, and perhaps a free agent or draft pick. I think a combination of better scheme, but coaching on the O-line, better health in 2015, and our QB learning to get rid of the ball will decrease the number of sacks and QB pressures.
Originally posted by mayo49:

I agree with this. When I watch the Cowboys play, I'm amazed at the level of pass protection and run blocking. You wonder how they got so good? Some would say they invested a lot of high picks in O-lineman. Very true, but so have we. We have three first rounders on that line, two of whom were top 15 picks and the third who likely could've been one if he did not come out early. Much like our group of receivers, the talent is there, but I am not sure the coaches are getting their best out of it. I'm really looking forward to our new O-line (at least one of the current starters will be gone) getting some work together in the offseason and becoming and more cohesive unit, adept at both run blocking and pass protection. Can we at least get Kap's protection up to 4 second which is about average.
Originally posted by ltrain:
Should have cut Martin and activated Bykowski...instead he got picked up by the Vikings.

How is Carter Bykowski doing?

Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

I agree with this. When I watch the Cowboys play, I'm amazed at the level of pass protection and run blocking. You wonder how they got so good? Some would say they invested a lot of high picks in O-lineman. Very true, but so have we. We have three first rounders on that line, two of whom were top 15 picks and the third who likely could've been one if he did not come out early. Much like our group of receivers, the talent is there, but I am not sure the coaches are getting their best out of it. I'm really looking forward to our new O-line (at least one of the current starters will be gone) getting some work together in the offseason and becoming and more cohesive unit, adept at both run blocking and pass protection. Can we at least get Kap's protection up to 4 second which is about average.

4 seconds is average?
Originally posted by cciowa:
Its always been s**tty,,, ck was just able to cover it up a bit better cuz he had better footwork than alex did,,, now ck for whatever reason has regressed a bit and the o line has been exposed for what its always been in my opinion. once again another thing that jh has seen for three years and has been unable or unwilling to deal with

Yep. Better post among that rabble. Kaep creates.. or created a lot of separation with those long legs of his. Now? not so much. There is too much hesitancy in the connection between his eyes and brain.

.. and Anthony Davis coming back will not be much if any better. People love his physicality, but he is not nor has ever been a good pass protector.

Alex Boone did really well in prior years with the switch to RG.. but he is an OT. I think he is best utilized outside.. and Davis inside. Always believed that.

We can't fully embrace the sack totals as a pure indicator of our OL anyway. Some QBs just eat more sacks.. whether doing it out of caution or ineptitude. But no.. clearly the OL isn't good at pass pro and never really was. Main difference this year is the poor pre-snap reads and poor instinct in what to do when the first intention isn't available.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
The 5 blind mice need to get their s**t together.
Originally posted by aTx49er:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

4 seconds is average?

I'm not sure if it's truly average, but I think any competent O-lineman should be able to hold (not literally) any defender rushing at them for that length of time. Right now, it seems there is immediate pressure at the snap of the ball.
The Niners seriously should think about drafting some O linemen in the first couple rounds next year. Look at the way dallas has built their line, and they are dominating. I think if we had a dominant O line again, it would definitely help this pathetic offense out. It would be a big start anyways...
Share 49ersWebzone