LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 119 users in the forums

O-Line issue question

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
The point of my first line is ...

you said, "Martin starting next year at tackle? Hasn't this year been painful enough?

so my reply was

" did you think Kaep, Crabb and Vernon would suck this year? "... - meaning, just because Martin did not play to a HIGH expectation, it doesn't mean that he would suck next year, or next year would also be as painful this year..

the 3 players I mentioned above played very well last year, but look at them now, look at them this year.. all 3 have disappoint..

leading to my reasons of WE should not be so down on Martin.. no one even knew he would make the team, or he was gonna be playing this much..

I think that it's unfair to judge him this year because the whole OL was a disaster..

all I'm saying is that, he came to the team w/no expectation, and maybe, if the management should make a change, and this kid is told that he will be competing for a starting job next year, he may start to re focus himself and become a better player next year...
Originally posted by 9moon:
The point of my first line is ...

you said, "Martin starting next year at tackle? Hasn't this year been painful enough?

so my reply was

" did you think Kaep, Crabb and Vernon would suck this year? "... - meaning, just because Martin did not play to a HIGH expectation, it doesn't mean that he would suck next year, or next year would also be as painful this year..

the 3 players I mentioned above played very well last year, but look at them now, look at them this year.. all 3 have disappoint..

leading to my reasons of WE should not be so down on Martin.. no one even knew he would make the team, or he was gonna be playing this much..

I think that it's unfair to judge him this year because the whole OL was a disaster..

all I'm saying is that, he came to the team w/no expectation, and maybe, if the management should make a change, and this kid is told that he will be competing for a starting job next year, he may start to re focus himself and become a better player next year...

Kaepernick, Crabtree and Davies have had good seasons and have proved themselves in the NFL to a greater or lesser extent. Martin has not. He blew his first shot and hasn't impressed during his second. I see no reason to keep him but it won't be my call. I really, really want some serious work done on the O line next spring and summer.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by DeUh:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by cciowa:
our team has not been able to pass protect for s**t no matter who the qb has been in the last three years,,,, now this year they have forgotten how to run block.

Actually it makes you wonder what the line think they are out there for. Solari, go stand in line with Morton and Roman.

This.

DeUh, give them cigars. I will read the last rites and CC can pull the trigger.

49ers projected to allow 53 sacks this year... 3rd worst in franchise history
I agree with the op. Bench Martin, swing Boone to RT and put in someone else at RG, not named Martin, anyone. Bueller, Bueller,
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
But how can you give up on Martin after one year???

you may as well give up on KAEP cause he's done nothing since the Super Bowl..

do you actually think that we can draft someone and out perform Martin for a year right away???

I too want some serious work on our OL, but I think the problem this year has been BOONE, IUPATI and STALEY..

do you actually think that we can draft someone and out perform Martin for a year right away???

I too want some serious work on our OL, but I think the problem this year has been BOONE, IUPATI and STALEY..
What is this infatuation you have with Martin? Kaepernick has shown he has NFL QB abilities, Martin on the other hand has not shown anything to suggest he can be a starting Tackle in the NFL, period.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49er_Rider:

All on Kap. Clearly.

All on Kap. Clearly.

Kaep lover!
A look at the playing time of 49ers' starting offensive line from 2012-14:

LT Joe Staley: 986 of 1,032 snaps
LG Mike Iupati: 1,007 of 1,032
C Jonathan Goodwin: 1,007 of 1,032
RG Alex Boone: 1,031 of 1,032
RT Anthony Davis: 1,032 of 1,032

Missed starts: 0
Missed snaps: 97
Starting combinations: 1

LT Joe Staley: 958 of 1,022
LG Mike Iupati: 715 of 1,022
C Jonathan Goodwin: 1,005 of 1,022
RG Alex Boone: 1,021 of 1,022
RT Anthony Davis: 1,001 of 1,022

Missed starts: 4
Missed snaps: 410
Starting combinations: 2

LT Joe Staley: 884 of 888
LG Mike Iupati: 773 of 888
C Daniel Kilgore: 463 of 888
RG Alex Boone: 834 of 888
RT Anthony Davis: 300 of 888

Missed starts: 16
Missed snaps: 1,196
Starting combinations: 6

Twitter: @Eric_Branch

• DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:

All on Kap. Clearly.

Kaep lover!

• cciowa
  • Veteran

Its always been s**tty,,, ck was just able to cover it up a bit better cuz he had better footwork than alex did,,, now ck for whatever reason has regressed a bit and the o line has been exposed for what its always been in my opinion. once again another thing that jh has seen for three years and has been unable or unwilling to deal with
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

staley spends to much time being wide right on the top of the your tv screen
Originally posted by cciowa:

staley spends to much time being wide right on the top of the your tv screen

When they drafted Iupati and A. Davis, both of them started right away in their rookie seasons and immediately showed that they were legit. Of course this season has been different for whatever reason, but my point is if they draft the right guy, they can find someone who can outperform Martin right away...
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nj9er:
I remember in 2002 we had a lot off o line injuries and guys would shuffle almost week to week. Now we have oline issues and it is basically fill the empty spot with the back up.

I think the loss of A Davis has killed Kap probably more than anything. Jon Martin is very reminiscent of Chilo. They both play like turnstyles and whenever Chilo came in you knew the QB was gonna get killed, I think it was the Thanskgiving Baltimore game he came in for Synder and my first thought was, "we're gonna lose".

Why do we keep putting Martin at tackle?

Boone played tackle in college and was moved to Guard. I don't understand why Boone hasn't been moved to tackle and Looney or Jon Martin installed at guard? I get now Looney will probably be in at center with Marcus being injured, but I can't imagine Boone being any worse at tackle than Jonathan Martin.

And for those who try to tell me the coaches see these guys every day and they know what is best, remember that during the superbowl and the Rams game I would have ran the ball with Gore near the goalline.

PLEASE never say Chilio Rachal in the zone again. We dont speak of Chilo or Kwammi Harris ever!!
[ Edited by MarkD on Dec 11, 2014 at 7:50 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone