LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 354 users in the forums

Oakland Raiders coaches Film analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Russell Wilson would've hit Miller for a nice 5,6 yard gain on 1st down.

I can't comprehend what Kaepernick was thinking on that play. Maybe it goes back to this pre-determined play and he tried to execute it at all costs. Mind boggling, seriously..
Jony, on a scale of 1 - 10, what do you think our chances of beating the Hags offensively this weekend are?

Originally posted by Jd925:
What concepts are you talking about? What reads and progressions is every talking about out... I've yet to see consistent attempts at multiple reads and progressions since Alex Smith in 2011... so what makes you think it's even in the offense? I'll have to go back to the Alex Smith tapes, but I remember him being a 'one-read' QB too... but I've changed my perception of A. Smith after figuring out what HaRoman is all about.

Take the play presented in this thread. It is a spot concept, which is a triangle stretch concept that entail a corner route, a Curl and a route to the flat. thl408 has shown several examples over the past 2 years in the breakdowns where we have run this play and kap has thrown to each of the said routes. Its a half field read that designed to really hit the back in the flat or the curl/whip (both routes are usually used). The above diagram presents them in more of base personnel look in a red formation to use the old school WCO formation lingo. Its a staple WCO play and its shocks me how badly Kap ran it, becasue he has done it better.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Dec 9, 2014 at 10:11 PM ]
Originally posted by kujon11:
Originally posted by Niners816:
I guess it's kinda splitting hairs but I always thought spider y banana was a play pass off of a powerO run. The first play to me looks like a spot concept with some Playaction. None the less, spot like spider is a half field read i which the flat route is designed beat man coverage with the natural pick caused by the curl and along with the corner route creates the horizontal and vertical stretch triangle.

Whatever the interpretation, kap messed it up pretty bad. The play to made is concept side and it was there to be made. Not gonna lie, this play shocked me.

kaep missed the same play again later if my memory serves me correctly (think they inverted the formation)

This is what is really frustrating me about Kap, because he has hit this concept in the past quite easily.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Dec 9, 2014 at 10:06 PM ]
  • Jd925
  • Veteran
I guess it's kinda splitting hairs but I always thought spider y banana was a play pass off of a powerO run. The first play to me looks like a spot concept with some Playaction. None the less, spot like spider is a half field read i which the flat route is designed beat man coverage with the natural pick caused by the curl and along with the corner route creates the horizontal and vertical stretch triangle.

Whatever the interpretation, kap messed it up pretty bad. The play to made is concept side and it was there to be made. Not gonna lie, this play shocked me.

#1) It was a lame attempt at play-action if any...

#2) Why do you think it's a spot read? If it were, Kap would not be looking straight on the drop back...he'd have his head looking right so you can get three reads.. but my contention is our offense isn't designed that way.. I just don't see many progressions consistently ever .. since 2011...

#3) My contention is that Boldin was the primary read on a curl.. and typically Kap waits but the linebacker was all over Boldin early (it's like the Raiders knew aka Tarell Brown and Carlos Rogers told the D how simplistic our pass offense is).. and if there was a read it was Vernon as 2nd read.. it's almost as if the offense is designed to make the QB wait for the primary receiver to get open..

#4) Even if it were a spot read... Woodson was playing his zone on the cover 3 and Kap could have seen it on his drop back... but if it was a spot you keep your eyes on the right side... Woodson would have had Miller early on and played the middle of his zone between Miller & Vernon.

#5) Yes the fullback would have still been a better play, but the offense is built around primary reads and if Miller ain't it all you can hope for is a check down.. not a read from a progression..

#6) There was a 'spider Y banana off a power O' run at the goal line TD to Miller... you can see on that Miller was a primary read.. he didn't have to go through any progressions.... it just a play-action and primary to Miller... not even an attempt at progression.. hit the FB expecting the defense to bite on play-action.
http://www.nfl.com/videos/san-francisco-49ers/0ap3000000440152/Kaepernick-8-yard-TD-pass
  • Jd925
  • Veteran
Also based on my assumptions on the play design.. Kap did not do all that bad... on the drop back you see Woodson staying back in zone... he can't hit his primary (Boldin) but waits a bit.. he sees a lineman in his face to his left.. scrambles to the other side....and he ad-libs (because Kap's best plays are when the terrible predictable designs do not work and he can improvise..) Kap signals Crab to go long... but the safety sees the hand signal and runs straight for the INT....

Yeah it's not a well executed sandlot play.. but other than it ending up with an INT, it was not a bad play.... everyone will jump all over this because of the result...
#1) It was a lame attempt at play-action if any...

#2) Why do you think it's a spot read? If it were, Kap would not be looking straight on the drop back...he'd have his head looking right so you can get three reads.. but my contention is our offense isn't designed that way.. I just don't see many progressions consistently ever .. since 2011...

#3) My contention is that Boldin was the primary read on a curl.. and typically Kap waits but the linebacker was all over Boldin early (it's like the Raiders knew aka Tarell Brown and Carlos Rogers told the D how simplistic our pass offense is).. and if there was a read it was Vernon as 2nd read.. it's almost as if the offense is designed to make the QB wait for the primary receiver to get open..

#4) Even if it were a spot read... Woodson was playing his zone on the cover 3 and Kap could have seen it on his drop back... but if it was a spot you keep your eyes on the right side... Woodson would have had Miller early on and played the middle of his zone between Miller & Vernon.

#5) Yes the fullback would have still been a better play, but the offense is built around primary reads and if Miller ain't it all you can hope for is a check down.. not a read from a progression..

#6) There was a 'spider Y banana off a power O' run at the goal line TD to Miller... you can see on that Miller was a primary read.. he didn't have to go through any progressions.... it just a play-action and primary to Miller... not even an attempt at progression.. hit the FB expecting the defense to bite on play-action.
http://www.nfl.com/videos/san-francisco-49ers/0ap3000000440152/Kaepernick-8-yard-TD-pass

#2 - Its really a two read progression, Flat - Curl...The corner is more of an alert for a bust in coverage.
#4 - this is the scary thing, he ran it very poorly - the primary in a spot concept is the back out of the backfield. He was wide open.
#5 - that's a problem IMO, Taking the open flat sets up second down nicely and we are working ahead of the chains
#6 - Spider is a playpass off of power, the FB acts like he is blocking then hit the flat, that is why he is open 90-95% of time. If by chance the FB is covered then you look to the TE or usually there is another WR coming underneath from the other side.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Dec 9, 2014 at 10:30 PM ]
I think our definition of pressure is different. You'll notice the free rusher about 5 yards in front of him. Reviewing it on film it's not quite as bad as it seemed in the game. He should have taken Miller for the smaller gain, but he had a man 1on1 and the safety was not even close to the play. He likely thought he would have that extra split second - or simply believed in his arm too much - and threw it up there.

Not a good game from Colin by any stretch. But it's interesting to see how folks see something completely different. If he has time to set his feet it's a possible completion. Hard to say what the progression was supposed to be there too. We aren't in the meetings and we don't run the plays.
[ Edited by Evilgenius on Dec 9, 2014 at 10:24 PM ]
  • BobS
  • Veteran
In all these plays that get diagrammed on here every one I can think of Kap always throws to the side he has rolled out on. That kind of makes it a dead giveaway. Why doesn't he ever stop and throw back the other way? Should not be that hard for a guy with a rocket arm.
Originally posted by awp8912:
Jony, on a scale of 1 - 10, what do you think our chances of beating the Hags offensively this weekend are?

This is what is really frustrating me about Kap, because he has hit this concept in the past quite easily.

I agree. I think he's forcing the issue at times. His ego is getting to him a bit at times. He knows what kind of throws he is capable of and clearly pays too much attention to what others say about him. Try to go for the spectacular when the easy 5 yards would be more than enough. It's biting him in the ass. But Roethlisberger didn't have a great 3rd year either and he turned out pretty good.

I think Harbaugh and Roman both suffer from ego problems at times too.
  • Jd925
  • Veteran
Take the play presented in this thread. It is a spot concept, which is a triangle stretch concept that entail a corner route, a Curl and a route to the flat. thl408 has shown several examples over the past 2 years in the breakdowns where we have run this play and kap has thrown to each of the said routes. Its a half field read that designed to really hit the back in the flat or the curl/whip (both routes are usually used). The above diagram presents them in more of base personnel look in a red formation to use the old school WCO formation lingo. Its a staple WCO play and its shocks me how badly Kap ran it, becasue he has done it better.

I responded to thl408 on this very play where he showed the full-back toss to the Rams.... My contention is that it was not a spot concept or read.. his primary is either 1) the full back 2) the receiver/tight end based on design or a pre-snap read...... it just so happens that vs the Rams the primary(only read) was to the full back and it was successful... Look at the GIF loops over and over again and tell me if you think there was a post-snap read..

Look at all the highlights.. I just saw the Rams highlights.. almost everything was primary reads.. could hardly tell if the route concepts had two reads fit in his field of vision.. otherwise I just saw Kap wait until his primary made a cut to get open and hit him...we have a bush-league offense
I responded to thl408 on this very play where he showed the full-back toss to the Rams.... My contention is that it was not a spot concept or read.. his primary is either 1) the full back 2) the receiver/tight end based on design or a pre-snap read...... it just so happens that vs the Rams the primary(only read) was to the full back and it was successful... Look at the GIF loops over and over again and tell me if you think there was a post-snap read..

Look at all the highlights.. I just saw the Rams highlights.. almost everything was primary reads.. could hardly tell if the route concepts had two reads fit in his field of vision.. otherwise I just saw Kap wait until his primary made a cut to get open and hit him...we have a bush-league offense

I get what your saying it just tough to say with spot concepts. When I see those route combos, I think spot...but by its nature if ran right the way FB/HB will be open a majority of the time so it really does look like a one read thing. However in that particular game, there was a similar design for a different formation (I believe it was one back two Tights Form) in which he hit VD on really nice TD on the corner route.

I think the added playaction, it trying to play off of our heavy run lean and some times really makes it look like an all or nothing play. What pisses me off, is that ram game was game four last year and he ran it better than he did in game 13 year 3. IMO, something is just off...either with him or Harbs and Roman are dicking with the plays.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Dec 9, 2014 at 10:46 PM ]
  • thl408
It's now apparent to me that Kap's development curve has taken a step downwards. STL game had horrific pass pro, NO game had a bunch of dropped passes, NYG game was an early road game so you take whatever you can get - I had reasons for why he didn't look good against these teams. WAS was a bit of a rebound. I couldn't be sure of his struggles from the SEA game because SEA has such a good defense that makes many QBs look bad. However, after looking at the OAK game, I see that things are starting to snowball and he isn't sure of what he's looking at. There were a few plays in this game where he was looking at the route that was going to be open, but was hesitant in pulling the trigger. It's not that he has never made that throw before, but that he's unsure of it now. I can't help but think that a big factor in his regression over the past few games is due to lack of confidence from how the offense just hasn't been getting it done for the myriad of reasons.

OAK came with a healthy mix of man and zone coverage throughout the game. The 49er success in the passing game was seen when going at TBrown side of the field, not DJHayden. There was one possession in the 3Q where the 49ers settled for a FG instead of scoring a TD to go up 17-10. That was the turning point in the game imo. OAK would then score TDs on back to back possessions and that took the 49ers running game out of the gameplan.

The 49er ILBs were not good in pass coverage and it allowed OAK to hit some big plays over the middle. Not all were the fault of the ILBs as OAK hit for 4-5 chunk gains in the passing game. Carr made some very nice throws as he was often unrattled in the pocket. Fangio decided to bring 3 man pressure on some plays and the OAK Oline did well to give their WRs lots of time to get open with deep crossing patterns. OAK made it a point to line up their TE on Aldon's side of the field to help neutralize him. When that was done, Lynch didn't get enough snaps to assert his game from the other side. Why Skuta got the majority of the snaps is a head scratcher. OAK's Oline also did an envious job handling the line stunts by the 49ers, something the 49er's Oline has not been able to handle all season long.

It's getting harder and harder to watch these games again, but what's keeping me interested is watching the devolution of Kap's game. Not that I want him to fail, of course not, but seeing how fragile the confidence of a young QB is shows the importance of coaching and how a good support structure can help or hurt a QB's development. I have said in previous weeks that Kap's game has improved from last season, but as of now, I can't say that anymore.
Also based on my assumptions on the play design.. Kap did not do all that bad... on the drop back you see Woodson staying back in zone... he can't hit his primary (Boldin) but waits a bit.. he sees a lineman in his face to his left.. scrambles to the other side....and he ad-libs (because Kap's best plays are when the terrible predictable designs do not work and he can improvise..) Kap signals Crab to go long... but the safety sees the hand signal and runs straight for the INT....

Yeah it's not a well executed sandlot play.. but other than it ending up with an INT, it was not a bad play.... everyone will jump all over this because of the result...

it's a terrible play on kaeps behalf and here's why.

once kaep starts rolling to his left, there's only one receiver out there. all the safety had to do was run straight to the ONE receiver on that half of the field.
Share 49ersWebzone