How to Sabotage a Season by Jim Harbaugh

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
Posts while sitting in a bar are hilarious
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BobS:
If your name means you have been around since the Kezar days I would have hoped you realize gimmick college offenses have a limited shelf life in the NFL. Not only will they eventually get your quarterback killed defensive coordinators will shut them down and render them useless sooner than later. Anything that relies on a quarterbacks brawn instead of his brain will eventually be easy to stop.

Hmmm, go watch old UofH film with Andre Ware... Then watch a Packer game. The packers have a run and shoot offense, and it's working, the Giants went from a run and shoot to a "west coast"... and it's not working. The offense MUST fit the talent.

Unless the "gimmick" offense is built on low complexity strict execution principal (gee, I wonder which NFL teams emphasize this principal), it work in the NFL. All offenses work, unless the defense knows what's coming.
[ Edited by Geeked on Dec 9, 2014 at 8:14 AM ]
Trollin trollin trolin rawhide!!

• BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Geeked:
Originally posted by BobS:
If your name means you have been around since the Kezar days I would have hoped you realize gimmick college offenses have a limited shelf life in the NFL. Not only will they eventually get your quarterback killed defensive coordinators will shut them down and render them useless sooner than later. Anything that relies on a quarterbacks brawn instead of his brain will eventually be easy to stop.

Hmmm, go watch old UofH film with Andre Ware... Then watch a Packer game. The packers have a run and shoot offense, and it's working, the Giants went from a run and shoot to a "west coast"... and it's not working. The offense MUST fit the talent.

Unless the "gimmick" offense is built on low complexity strict execution principal (gee, I wonder which NFL teams emphasize this principal), it work in the NFL. All offenses work, unless the defense knows what's coming.
The official definition of gimmick offense in the NFL is one that relies on the quarterback's athleticism (speed, quickness, running ability) as it's main driving factor. The run and shoot does not qualify as a gimmick. The easiest way to spot a gimmick is if one of options is the quarterback keeping the ball and running, the read option qualifies as a gimmick. That is what the word means to me.
After hearing the trash interview Harbs gave on KNBR there might be something to this thread.
Interview was so bad KNBR, the 49ers radio home, ended the interview.
This is, I think, the most foolish and infantile thread I have ever read in NinerTalk. And bearing in mind one poster who I shan't name here nicknamed the place the Romper Room, there was stiff competition.
Share 49ersWebzone