LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 313 users in the forums

Week 14 - 2014: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Totally agree with point 2. Kap deserves criticism for his poor play, but most of his critics do not understand the concepts this offense is built on. He's a single read QB because this offense handcuffs him to be one. Expecting him to go through progression reads is impossible. You cannot operate outside the parameters of the offense. There are no progressions, and this was the case with Alex as well. Only difference is that this offense is 4 years old, defenses adapted, and this philosophy has been exposed for the gimmick it is. Harbaugh is incapable of changing the offense, he's married to it, and that's why management is about to show him the door.

Agree 100% with you . Let me also add that this is the best thing that could've happen to kap. He needed to be humbled , when he first came on the scene he became an instant star, everybody anointed him a top 5 QB . His head was inflated doing red carpets appearances photos shots commercials etc. etc. . Hopefully he learns that he needs to spend more time in the flim room studying and working on his craft.
Originally posted by socal1632:
It is really hard to tell like on this play especially by watching Kap,His quick roll out and head seeming to be locked in Miller's direction is probably by design. It did work.Decent YAC. We need to call more very fast quick plays if the overall scheme isn't going to change. At least on these, the D can be exploited by speed. Just wish he would start gaining both patience and field awarness a little quicker. You are right.He is very capable of hitting all those routes.

It looks like Miller became the primary option before the snap because of a DB having outside leverage on Davis's corner just from the initial alignment. Maybe Vance on the curl also but he didn't go there. I'm assuming that every single QBs can choose their progressions based on what they see before the snap and what the route combos are.
Originally posted by Jd925:
Originally posted by thl408:
Here's a similar play with the same route combination. Gore with the same blocking assignment on a DE. Gore does what's needed to give Kap time and a throwing lane. The DE does block the throwing lane to the Curl, but the Flat is there. (from the pinned Film Analysis thread)

It's an automatic pre-snap read... Miller is his main option right there.. Kap rarely ever goes to his 'secondary' read by design...he's looking at Miller all the time in this one... Kap looks at his primary read with the same route design in another. That's probably the way they practice day in...day out. ....90%+ of Kaps passes are primary reads... by design...

SMH...Kap can't win with guys like this.
How could you stomach re - watching the game?
Here's a similar play with the same route combination. Gore with the same blocking assignment on a DE. Gore does what's needed to give Kap time and a throwing lane. The DE does block the throwing lane to the Curl, but the Flat is there. (from the pinned Film Analysis thread)

It's an automatic pre-snap read... Miller is his main option right there.. Kap rarely ever goes to his 'secondary' read by design...he's looking at Miller all the time in this one... Kap looks at his primary read with the same route design in another. That's probably the way they practice day in...day out. ....90%+ of Kaps passes are primary reads... by design...

Can you define what you mean by "primary reads... by design..." If you think that 90% of his passes are designed throws then I strongly disagree.

Just watch the all22 and you'll see reads that Kap is supposed to make in order to target the correct route. If all he was doing was throwing to where he's supposed to (designed throws), he wouldn't look so lost on the plays where he couldn't quickly process what he was reading. In this play, it is a well known route combination and the progressions are there. Just do a google search on "spot concept football" and you'll see what the QB is supposed to be doing. I've seen Kap hit the Corner, Curl, and Flat on this route combo.

There are indeed plays that are designed throws and I can tell when it's done. Check out the SEA film thread from last week and they are pointed out.

This is a spot concept in which both the flat and curl appeared open. In other words the concepts did what it was designed to. It's a good enough concept that usually the curl or flat is open a majority of the time. However generally the flat is primary and curl is a secondary. Here I think the personnel package really helped this play.

This is what's maddening, he ran this like you are suppose to early last season and last Sunday he totally f**ked it up. He is pressing and its a big problem. THL coukd show you several examples where he hits the curl and the corner:...hell in that ram game last year he used this same concept and threw a besutifyl td to vd on the corner route.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Dec 12, 2014 at 1:50 PM ]
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
I haven't seen and offense like this since the days of Joe Walton and Bubby Brister at Pittsburgh!!!
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
How could you stomach re - watching the game?

Tough at first but makes it SOOO much easier to see the forest through the trees.

Once you remove the emotion because you already know the outcome, you are able to see things with less hyperbole. IE, the highs aren't as high and the lows aren't as low.

For example. I watched the Seattle game again as well. The first INT to Sherman. All I was hearing on the radio and in the media was how Kap stared the guy down.

Total BS.

Once the emotion is removed, you can very clearly see that Kap is looking down the MIDDLE OF THE FIELD to move the safety and turns to Lloyd late...and totally misfires on the pass.

Neither of those two scenarios are good ones, but they do show completely different things. He didn't stare a guy down. He threw a bad pass.

THAT's the kind of thing you pick up with the emotion of the moment removed.
Originally posted by Niners816:

Can you define what you mean by "primary reads... by design..." If you think that 90% of his passes are designed throws then I strongly disagree.

Just watch the all22 and you'll see reads that Kap is supposed to make in order to target the correct route. If all he was doing was throwing to where he's supposed to (designed throws), he wouldn't look so lost on the plays where he couldn't quickly process what he was reading. In this play, it is a well known route combination and the progressions are there. Just do a google search on "spot concept football" and you'll see what the QB is supposed to be doing. I've seen Kap hit the Corner, Curl, and Flat on this route combo.

There are indeed plays that are designed throws and I can tell when it's done. Check out the SEA film thread from last week and they are pointed out.

This is a spot concept in which both the flat and curl appeared open. In other words the concepts did what it was designed to. I think the Playaction made the flat more viable. You don't not run that route combination to just get the FB in the flat open. However it's a good enough concept that usually the curl or flat is open a majority of the time. Here I think the personnel package really helped this play.

This is what's maddening, he ran this like you are suppose to early last season and last Sunday he totally f**ked it up. He is pressing and its a big problem. THL coukd show you several examples where he hits the curl and the corner:...hell in that ram game last year he used this same concept and threw a besutifyl td to vd on the corner route.

Perhaps now that season is all but over Kaepernick can relax and focus on Seattle. Who knows. He has talent and that is the lure/maddening part.
Share 49ersWebzone