There are 178 users in the forums

What is the worst 49er loss of the modern era?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What is the worst 49er loss of the modern era?

Originally posted by Niners816:
Originally posted by ronniefreakinlott42:
#1- 1990 NFC Championship game. Lost Joe and the best chance any team ever had at a 3peat.

#2- 2012 Superbowl. Tarnished the best record ever heard of.

#3- 1992 NFC Championship. Cowboys. Nuff said.

#4- 1997 regular season loss to Bucs. Lost Rice for the year after his stellar record without injury.

With your #4 I would add 1999 Monday night game vs Arizona. End of Steve's career and the dynasty. f**k lawerence Phillips!!

Definitely #5. End of an era. Wasn't thrilled to see Garcia take over, but would give anything for him now.
Originally posted by znk916:
how about that game where we literally had a farmer or cowboy named Cody I think playing QB in a hurricane vs the Bears and he threw for like 8 yds

I'm pretty sure that was the epitome of hopelessness

lol the way you described it is priceless. Ugh I remember that game far too well. I was like 8 or some s**t so it must have mentally scarred me. I can remember my heart deflate as Nathan Vasher ran our missed FG back for a TD
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Craig fumble against the Giants hands down.
Originally posted by ronniefreakinlott42:
Gotta be kidding. This shouldn't be close. '91 cost us the only 3peat ever, AND the greatest QB EVER.

Agreed!
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by znk916:
um 1972 is pretty far back, there might be 5 people around here who were alive back then, sorry grandpas
That was the year I jumped ship from being a Rams fan like everyone else where I lived in the Southern California desert. I am 53, pretty sure there are more than 5 of us following the 49ers in 1972 that are still alive.
Originally posted by xcfan:
kyle williams

This. That TRULY was our year. I think that team was better than the 2012 team that actually MADE it to the Super Bowl. Despite being 1/13 on 3rd downs...we were ONE muffed punt away from the Super Bowl.
  • Phil
  • Veteran
The 1991 game didnt signify the end of a QB and head coach. This Raiders loss was the shot heard around the world, showing that Kaepernick just isn't a good enough pocket passer and this game was the complete and total end to Harbaughs era.

This loss, this season has been hard to take. We're not going to finish 10-6. It a isn't happening. Kaepernick isn't going to come in next year and win MVP. This Raiders loss, in context with the whole season, was very very very bad. Very bad. And I was right there in 91.

This has been one of the most devistating seasons ever. With all the talent. With all the hopes. With all the issues and injuries and drama. With the HC being gone next year. With our franchise QB busting. With 3 years of almost making it.

These are very troubling times for the 49ers. This defense better hold for a few seasons or we're doomed. Seattle has our number, the Cards are on the upswing, the Rams are getting better. Next season could be worse than this season. And Kaepernick will have to learn a new offense while also putting in the work to improve his game. Things aren't good.

Things are much worse than 1991.
[ Edited by Phil on Dec 8, 2014 at 1:20 AM ]
Originally posted by Phil:
The 1991 game didnt signify the end of a QB and head coach. This Raiders loss was the shot heard around the world, showing that Kaepernick just isn't a good enough pocket passer and this game was the complete and total end to Harbaughs era.

This loss, this season has been hard to take. We're not going to finish 10-6. It a isn't happening. Kaepernick isn't going to come in next year and win MVP. This Raiders loss, in context with the whole season, was very very very bad. Very bad. And I was right there in 91.

This has been one of the most devistating seasons ever. With all the talent. With all the hopes. With all the issues and injuries and drama. With the HC being gone next year. With our franchise QB busting. With 3 years of almost making it.

These are very troubling times for the 49ers. This defense better hold for a few seasons or we're doomed. Seattle has our number, the Cards are on the upswing, the Rams are getting better. Next season could be worse than this season. And Kaepernick will have to learn a new offense while also putting in the work to improve his game. Things aren't good.

Things are much worse than 1991.

This was a regular season game and to hear the pundit Harbs was gone regardless. 1990 nfc title game was a lot worse, end of 3 peat, end of joe in meaningful action and Ronnie and Rogers last game. That game took our all time greatest player and a chance to make super bowl history.

This is just an exclamation point on the fork in the road that seems to be coming. Injuries and suspensions derailed this season all most before it started.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Dec 8, 2014 at 1:29 AM ]
  • Jiks
Worst regular season loss IMO. This game had playoff implications and the team we played is straight garbage. This game may have done even more harm for the future of this team. Who knows whats going to happen now. There's a small chance we go back into the gutter for a few years. AZ and Seattle will be good for a while.
The Super Bowl and the NFC title game in SEA are tied.

The superbowl was the worst loss in 49ers history, not just the modern era.
Super Bowl
31 percent of you are clearly riding on today's emotion and you probably live in the bay area. The 2012 SB, 2011 NFC CG, 2013 NFC CG all are way ahead of this loss. Hell any of the NFC CG losses rank above this.

And whats with the poll you forgot half the options?
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Dec 8, 2014 at 4:05 AM ]
So I've had posters wondering why superbowl not on the list.

The reason is the same as the last couple nfcc losses -- we weren't the overwhelming favorite.

That's what really hurts, to me-- when we lose even though we have dominated up to that point. That's what makes the losses "unusually memorable."

I include the 72 playoff game because we were way way up -- then Roger did his Roger thing.

It hurt alot even though we weren't overwhelming favorites that year. We just collapsed unusually.

The 49-3 game, we'll I've never seen us so dominated in every aspect of the game. SO I threw it in.

I think yesterdays loss fits the criterion of being an overwhelming favorite, then just choking.

Remember 1-10. 0-52.

That's my thinking anyway.

And I'm NOT a grandpa.

Yet.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
The smack downs up at C-link in 2012 and 2013 had to be one of the most embarrassing when you factor in Sherman and his sh*t after the game.
Share 49ersWebzone