There are 136 users in the forums

Will 49ers Retire Frank Gore's Number?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Will 49ers Retire Frank Gore's Number?

• jrg
  • Veteran
Yes
Gotta wonder why 33 is still not retired.

Are we still that butthurt over a tragic fumble or was Craig just not enough to be considered retired jersey material?

It's a fair question because like Gore, the 49ers don't sniff their potential in their respective eras.

If you want to look at retiring a jersey out of respect and not overall dominance, just look no further than Dwight Clark.

We all love Dwight but that was retiring a jersey for making one (albeit huge) play.
Gotta retire Andy Lee's #
They don't retire numbers anymore. Frank is unquestionably to be inducted into the "Ring of Honor".
Originally posted by SFGiant49ers:
Gotta retire Andy Lee's #

I remember when Lee, Nedney & Lechler/Janikowski were all elected to the pro bowl -

Those were some dark years.
haha yea the bay area was pretty embarrassing for football for a little while there. And it is turning that way again this year. For the Niners sake its mostly just the dysfunction within the organization that is most embarrassing to me. Well, and the play of the offense...
I am NOT a believer in retiring any athletes number in any sport. If teams continue to do this then they will run out of numbers. What teams should do is raise banners of jerseys without actually retiring them. 49ers will run out of numbers quick. Montana,Lott,Rice,Young,BY,Gore,Justin,YA,Brodie,million dollar backfield etc etc

Just recognize each jersey with a Banner in the stadium somewhere.
If you are an all time contributor as a 49er then you should be honored. Frank is our all time leading rusher so ...
Just a general statement here...

I think retiring a player's number should be rare. For example, make it a requisite to be inducted to the HOF, have at least a championship, and/or be a Niner for 10+ years.
Naw

Don't think York and Baalkee would

after gore makes the hof, there will be no question that we should retire his number
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
It's not even a question. They 100% will, it's just a matter of how long they'll wait.

A better poll would be will they retire justin smith's #.
Wouldn't even consider it on JS
barely anyone wore #21 between deion sanders and frank gore. i think maybe rw mcquarters might have been the only one. no brainer to do this.
Originally posted by crabman82:
barely anyone wore #21 between deion sanders and frank gore. i think maybe rw mcquarters might have been the only one. no brainer to do this.

I thought Eric Wright could have retired that number. He was the best cover corner there is during that time. Too bad he had groin issues and was injured a lot.
Originally posted by Since07:
Only numbers that should be retired are 16 80 and 42

Not at all. Way too many great pre-80s players that are just as deserving.

The problem with retiring numbers in football is that there are just way too many players on a current roster and too many number rules. I always thought retiring numbers in football was a bad way to go about it. A "ring of honor" or team HoF is a better way to recognize the franchise greats without having to be so restrictive because the usable numbers get low.
Share 49ersWebzone