LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 344 users in the forums

SPEED RECEIVER PLEASE

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
lol @ VD being our fastest player. That's pathetic. I don't even think he's that fast anymore. Probably just looked fast since he was always being covered by slow ass linebackers.

He ran a 4.3 40 yard dash! Idk what you're talking about.
[ Edited by DaFaro49ers on Dec 4, 2014 at 11:53 PM ]
We've been asking for speed wr since Rice got old and taylor retired. This time we got short possession recievers. I think the reason why our offense sucks starts with the line. gore can barely get a hole to run through and Kap throws with his backfoot because he's been hit so much he doesn't trust them.
Theres like 75 things we need to fix before getting a burner at wr. All it will do is encourage more deep balls. We already enough of a laughingstock there thank you.
Originally posted by CD401NINER:
Okay, how much longer do we have to watch this offense play WITHOUT SPEED. Our fastest guy on offense is VD and he's not being put to use. We need a SPEED receiver and we've needed one ever since our o-line decided not to give Kap more then 2 seconds to throw the ball. I don't care how we get the SPEED player we need whether its draft, free agency, or trade, we need to make a move. It's killing me to watch our receivers get jammed at the line of scrimmage every game, every play! Do something about it Baalke!

The problem remains that we still need to block the pass rush until the receiver gets down field.
This is rediculous. We have had speedy receivers, Ginn, Lockette, Moss.

There is just something wrong with the timing of the deep balls or the design of the deep routes. We suck at them.
I wish we drafted one of those stud wrs. Instead we got jimmy bust
play Patton
It "could" be useful if they were an actual threat and we USED them as an actual threat: Moss, Ginn, Moore, Lockette and Ellington ay "Helllloooo!?"
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Theres like 75 things we need to fix before getting a burner at wr. All it will do is encourage more deep balls. We already enough of a laughingstock there thank you.

This. And besides, even the best teams in the NFL only take a few shots a game with a deep threat. This isn't exactly an "answer" to our offensive woes.
Also for the people bringing up 40 times, we're talking football speed, not track speed. Jarvis Landry ran like a 4.75 but he leads the NFL in kick return average.

You want to see tremendous football speed, look at TY Hilton of the Colts and John Brown of the Cards. That's "see ya" speed. Ellington doesn't have that, he's still pretty fast and has tremendous quickness, making him an ideal slot receiver so he still very much has a role on this team.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 5, 2014 at 8:25 AM ]

Originally posted by NCommand:
This. And besides, even the best teams in the NFL only take a few shots a game with a deep threat. This isn't exactly an "answer" to our offensive woes.

Its an improvement to what they've been doing. You can't run a vertical passing offense without any real vertical threats. Teams aren't afraid to play 1 vs 1 on the outside since none of the receivers with perhaps the exception of Lloyd is a threat to take it to the house and even then Lloyd accomplishes that through superior route running and not speed.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 5, 2014 at 8:23 AM ]
Originally posted by Eli_23:
I wish we drafted one of those stud wrs. Instead we got jimmy bust

Those "stud receivers" would look like busts on this roster too. It's not about the talent so much as how these guys are being used...or not used. Both Ellington and Patton could probably be very productive on some other teams and people would be going "wow, I wish they had drafted one of those guys."
We could have a 6'6 WR with amazing hands and 4.2 speed , but we wouldn't be able to get him the ball due to poor pass protection , and a QB who is currently struggling with poor accuracy ...and when he is in the game, he would be used as a blocking WR and would get 18 snaps at best ...plus he would be sent out on 7 yard routes to receive a back shoulder pass for a minimal gain ....sorry for being negative, but it seems like Roman and Harbaugh wouldn't know how to utilize a talent like that ..........I'm still salty from the seahawks game ...I'll get over it
Originally posted by DaFaro49ers:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
lol @ VD being our fastest player. That's pathetic. I don't even think he's that fast anymore. Probably just looked fast since he was always being covered by slow ass linebackers.

He ran a 4.3 40 yard dash! Idk what you're talking about.

Are you actually watching games? When was the last time you saw Davis get behind a defensive back and run away from him? He's fallen off big time this year. He's slow out of his breaks, he runs lazy routes, he can't block worth a damn and he seems to drop half the passes thrown at him. He's been one of my favorite players, but anyone who thinks he's playing even close to the level he has in the past isn't paying much attention.
Honestly, a real speed receiver is the biggest need on the team. No joke.

Its not about needing a "#1" receiver. The guy doesn't need to be the #1 (tho that would be nice). They just need a guy (or 2) that will scare defenses enough to play honest. Randy Moss was that is spades. He was a shadow of his former self, but even at his advanced age and declining skill-level, he commanded the respect of defenses.

This opened SPACE for Vernon, Delanie Walker, and Crabtree.

It also made play action DEADLY when combined with that space.

You run heavy play action and the one deep safety sees Moss streaking down the field? He's gonna move over there....and that's why Kap was the highest ranked passer on passes over 20 yards in 2012.

That aspect of this offense has been missing ever since Walker and Moss left. Boldin is a great player, but the one aspect of the position he doesn't possess is the one thing they need the most.
Share 49ersWebzone