There are 235 users in the forums

The genius behind Trent Baalke's drafts

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
Don't see how the lack of playing time for McDonald, Patton, Ellington, is down to Baalke.

you have not been here long have you?
Originally posted by nj9er:
Baalke is a good GM when it comes to defense an line but he hasn't been able to draft any skill position players successfully.

Kap is the only one who has made big offensive plays and he was Harbaugh's guy not Trent's. Hyde looks promising and Hunter is a nice change of pace back but these were high draft picks for guys who play a low percentage of snaps. Could have drafted RBs in later rounds.

The other knock is the debate on what is more important a good GM or a good HC. I don't know which is more important probably equal importance. When you have 2 guys like Trent and Jim who are both good at their positions you have to do what it takes to keep the band together.

When the owner says the GM answers to him and the HC to the GM I think you have your answer. You can't go back or default on your organizations structure
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
That was awesome @ Quest.. really impress.. you really did your homework..

Personally, I think Baalke does better on the defensive side of the ball.. I mean finding or landing players on that part..

But for whatever reason, he's move on the offensive side of the ball is still does not make any sense.. He drafted Patton, and this kid should not be sitting on the bench just because he (Baalke) ended up signing Lloyd.. that's almost like saying, "i don't wanna waste the lloyd's signing and the bonus, Patton can wait, both players are pretty similar anyway"...

Crabtree - if we have no plans on signing the guy, then why didn't we make a move and draft one of the WRs who's having a great rookie year?? Heck, we had extra picks to use..
Originally posted by 9moon:
That was awesome @ Quest.. really impress.. you really did your homework..

Personally, I think Baalke does better on the defensive side of the ball.. I mean finding or landing players on that part..

But for whatever reason, he's move on the offensive side of the ball is still does not make any sense.. He drafted Patton, and this kid should not be sitting on the bench just because he (Baalke) ended up signing Lloyd.. that's almost like saying, "i don't wanna waste the lloyd's signing and the bonus, Patton can wait, both players are pretty similar anyway"...

Crabtree - if we have no plans on signing the guy, then why didn't we make a move and draft one of the WRs who's having a great rookie year?? Heck, we had extra picks to use..

I think you're looking at it wrong, as a GM I would try to acquire as many talented players as I could and let the coaches work out who should play. Each season matters so I wouldn't try to trade away a potential all star receiver just because I didn't think I could re-sign him because we would probably need him for a SB run. Didn't work out that way this year, but can't fault his moves to add talent on offense this year.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Don't see how the lack of playing time for McDonald, Patton, Ellington, is down to Baalke.

They don't play because they aren't that good...it's pretty simple. Why don't you see it?

McDonald has talent, but drops or coughs up the ball too much. Read his draft profile: these traits were known before we drafted him.
Ellington has talent too, but is he really a difference maker? I haven't seen it.
Patton is okay. But we need better than okay? Lloyd wasn't supposed to be able to beat him out.
Originally posted by nj9er:
Baalke is a good GM when it comes to defense an line but he hasn't been able to draft any skill position players successfully.

Kap is the only one who has made big offensive plays and he was Harbaugh's guy not Trent's. Hyde looks promising and Hunter is a nice change of pace back but these were high draft picks for guys who play a low percentage of snaps. Could have drafted RBs in later rounds.

The other knock is the debate on what is more important a good GM or a good HC. I don't know which is more important probably equal importance. When you have 2 guys like Trent and Jim who are both good at their positions you have to do what it takes to keep the band together.
?

Hunter was a 4th round pick and has missed nearly 2 seasons with injuries.

When he's healthy, he plays.

Hyde was considered the best back in the draft and they got him with a late 2. Not only that, they moved down and then back up again to essentially move down 1 pick and recouped the Stevie Johnson pick.
Originally posted by kray28:

They don't play because they aren't that good...it's pretty simple. Why don't you see it?

McDonald has talent, but drops or coughs up the ball too much. Read his draft profile: these traits were known before we drafted him.
Ellington has talent too, but is he really a difference maker? I haven't seen it.
Patton is okay. But we need better than okay? Lloyd wasn't supposed to be able to beat him out.

I don't see it because it isn't there to be seen. Because they aren't getting the playing time. McDonald drops the ball? Damn that can't be coached out. You haven't seen Ellington being a difference maker. Maybe that's because he hasn't been given that much of a shot yet. Patton only ok? Lloyd beat him out then disappears. There is a pattern emerging here and it isn't with the players.

I don't see it because it isn't there to be seen. Because they aren't getting the playing time. McDonald drops the ball? Damn that can't be coached out. You haven't seen Ellington being a difference maker. Maybe that's because he hasn't been given that much of a shot yet. Patton only ok? Lloyd beat him out then disappears. There is a pattern emerging here and it isn't with the players.

Not only that, but McDonald isn't playing right now because of INJURY. When he HAS been in there he's graded out as a very good blocker.

As for the pattern...correct. Young players have trouble getting on the field in SF because they prefer vets.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

pretty much all of this

If they were better than the players in front of them they'd play. It really is that simple. There are plenty of examples on this team. Lynch is seeing time because he's good enough to make an impact. Patton got absolutely man handles by Seattle's dbs. He's seen time and did next to nothing. Speed is the problem on offense so how does it help to play younger weaker player that also struggles with separation. These players you speak have had opportunities and did nothing.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:

pretty much all of this

kray and sus said nothing wrong in my opinion but i also understand english
I agree. The only think wrong right now is Kaep's play. If he was delivering, or at least improving, we would be in the driver's seat for sure.

Not Roman, Not Harbaugh, Not Baalke. Kaep just isn't improving like expected. Keep him but start looking for a replacement.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Here's how you evaluate a GM. Ask yourself 2 questions:

1. How are we doing cap-wise
2. How many personnel holes do we currently have

My answer to #1 is (fantastic...wait until Seattle has to pay Willow) and #2 (Nobody really. We clearly have enough talent to win the Superbowl RIGHT now)

You "could" make the argument that we need a #1 WR vs. 4 #2's or a KR ace who also can be used for 3-4 deep threat plays a game. Other than that?

This. Did we forget about the Nate Clements deal?

Nate Clements was pick up when Mike Nolan was in charge, which he had no business being in charge. Workouted great for us cause he brought in S.Mchoughlin who brought in Baalke.
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by 190836:
2012 and 2013 are almost complete bust. Reid is the only one worth mentioning. He shined in 2011draft.

It is utterly incredible that you can judge the quality of a draft class with most of the players still in only their 2nd season and some guys essentially rookies...(Dial., Carradine)

If you're not being paid for your skills of prognostication, you really ought to be. Out of the first 8 picks, 7 guys are still on the roster and the only one that didn't make up was due to injury(Lattimore).
Can you explain 2012 Draft for me?
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Just like Atlanta, Detroit, and New Orleans, we did nothing to improve the team and make that ONE final step.. We all stood still and layed eggs instead of making a move that would and should put us above all..

We all stayed like a plateau and now we are watching other teams passed us over..
Share 49ersWebzone