There are 175 users in the forums

Seattle Seahawks coaches game analysis (week 13)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:

3. Attack the edges with RB's and TE's. With the Niners in deeper off coverage (rarely, if ever challenged at the LOS in man press or jam press), they'll sprint Michael and Turbin and even Wilson out of the backfield to the flats/sidelines. Use the width of the field vs. vertical passing. Results: A TD and big chunk plays and maximum YAC with a couple blown-coverage results.

4. Once we've hit the edges with our RB's in the passing game on the edges, come quickly back and run Lynch up through the G's. Results: Lynch had over 100 yards again against us

This horizontal stress is pretty much the reason why Seattle has the most dominant and consistent run game in the league and ours is so wildly inconsistent. We do almost nothing to horizontally stress defenses, so they just load up in between the hash marks. It's also the same reason why our most consistent run plays are off tackle counters. Go figure, getting the D to go one way while the play goes the other might actually result in some running room.

Baalke is definitely aware of the lack of a horizontal element in this offense. I don't have the exact quote from this offseason but he acknowledged that our offense played between the hash marks and needed to threaten the edges. Clearly this hasn't materialized except in the form of failed deep sideline shots to Lloyd.
  • thl408
3rd drive of game
1st & 10
Power Right
Hyde run for +3

2nd & 7
Power Left
Hyde run for -1

Dropback #6
3rd & 8

49ers: Osgood is brought in to help JMartin pass protect. Osgood will chip the DE before settling into his Curl. Boldin's route is designed to get behind the LBs and in front of the safety. This is a good spot to attack cover3 provided pass protection allows the route to develop.
SEA: cover3 -- dropping 8 into coverage (3deep/5underneath), rush 3)

Kap hits the top of his dropback and is looking in the middle of the field. I think he's doing this to freeze the FS. Perhaps he's looking to Boldin who has yet to clear from behind the LB.

One tenth of second later, from the pic above, Kap starts to look away from the middle of the field. The blue defender is one of the DT that dropped back into coverage. Kap may have red lighted Boldin because he saw the blue defender blocking the passing lane. However, it's a DT and they don't have the vertical jump like a LB. Perhaps a throw to Boldin is possible.

Llloyd tries a double move on Sherman as Kap is mid windup. Notice where Sherman and Lloyd are - just crossing the 45 yard line.

Same moment in time as pic above. This is to illustrate the anticipation throw that's needed on a deep Out route.

Nifty move by Osgood to help JMartin. Good protection. Then again, it was a 3 man rush.

Hesitation move by Llloyd. Bad placement on the ball location. The ball needs to be thrown further towards the sideline. Not an easy throw.
Originally posted by znk916:

3. Attack the edges with RB's and TE's. With the Niners in deeper off coverage (rarely, if ever challenged at the LOS in man press or jam press), they'll sprint Michael and Turbin and even Wilson out of the backfield to the flats/sidelines. Use the width of the field vs. vertical passing. Results: A TD and big chunk plays and maximum YAC with a couple blown-coverage results.

4. Once we've hit the edges with our RB's in the passing game on the edges, come quickly back and run Lynch up through the G's. Results: Lynch had over 100 yards again against us

This horizontal stress is pretty much the reason why Seattle has the most dominant and consistent run game in the league and ours is so wildly inconsistent. We do almost nothing to horizontally stress defenses, so they just load up in between the hash marks. It's also the same reason why our most consistent run plays are off tackle counters. Go figure, getting the D to go one way while the play goes the other might actually result in some running room.

Baalke is definitely aware of the lack of a horizontal element in this offense. I don't have the exact quote from this offseason but he acknowledged that our offense played between the hash marks and needed to threaten the edges. Clearly this hasn't materialized except in the form of failed deep sideline shots to Lloyd.

Yes, his quote this past off season was regarding the ENTIRE use of the width of the field "53.3 yards" as well as attacking vertical as well. It doesn't look like we've done a single thing to that effect. This means Baalke again, "gets it" and this offensive coaching staff, does not. And I'm willing to bet this is the source of the rift if there truly is one.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
  • thl408

I do remember Baalke saying something to that effect (bolded) in the offseason. What the 49ers did this season that was different from the past was spread the field and get a horizontal stretch via formation. That just isn't the same thing as attacking the flats with flares and swing passes. No one is asking for a checkdown offense, but sometimes an offense needs to threaten those areas for the sole purpose of opening up other areas (intermediate middle). I'll show a play later where a 49er RB could have set up a picnic in the flat.
Originally posted by thl408:
3rd drive of game
1st & 10
Power Right
Hyde run for +3

2nd & 7
Power Left
Hyde run for -1

Dropback #6
3rd & 8

49ers: Osgood is brought in to help JMartin pass protect. Osgood will chip the DE before settling into his Curl. Boldin's route is designed to get behind the LBs and in front of the safety. This is a good spot to attack cover3 provided pass protection allows the route to develop.
SEA: cover3 -- dropping 8 into coverage (3deep/5underneath), rush 3)

Kap hits the top of his dropback and is looking in the middle of the field. I think he's doing this to freeze the FS. Perhaps he's looking to Boldin who has yet to clear from behind the LB.

One tenth of second later, from the pic above, Kap starts to look away from the middle of the field. The blue defender is one of the DT that dropped back into coverage. Kap may have red lighted Boldin because he saw the blue defender blocking the passing lane. However, it's a DT and they don't have the vertical jump like a LB. Perhaps a throw to Boldin is possible.

Llloyd tries a double move on Sherman as Kap is mid windup. Notice where Sherman and Lloyd are - just crossing the 45 yard line.

Same moment in time as pic above. This is to illustrate the anticipation throw that's needed on a deep Out route.

Nifty move by Osgood to help JMartin. Good protection. Then again, it was a 3 man rush.

Hesitation move by Llloyd. Bad placement on the ball location. The ball needs to be thrown further towards the sideline. Not an easy throw.

Just speculating on this one but there was another vantage point shown during the game (IIRC) in 4Q where it showed this play from behind CK so you could get an even better feel for what happened. Clearly, the route was not a full go-route and was a curl, hence why CK is still throwing to Lloyd WITH Lloyd trailing Sherman the whole way. But from the back vantage point, the ball is already in the air as Lloyd is breaking out (head not turned around). It's probably on accuracy (long throw) but perhaps CK thought Lloyd would just drop down there vs. curl out to the sidelines...maybe a miscommunication or wrong route or right route and poor throw (poor mental decision + poor accuracy). It's hard to tell. Then again, his accuracy too was on-off all game as well.
Originally posted by thl408:

I do remember Baalke saying something to that effect (bolded) in the offseason. What the 49ers did this season that was different from the past was spread the field and get a horizontal stretch via formation. That just isn't the same thing as attacking the flats with flares and swing passes. No one is asking for a checkdown offense, but sometimes an offense needs to threaten those areas for the sole purpose of opening up other areas (intermediate middle). I'll show a play later where a 49er RB could have set up a picnic in the flat.

Just speculating on this one but there was another vantage point shown during the game (IIRC) in 4Q where it showed this play from behind CK so you could get an even better feel for what happened. Clearly, the route was not a full go-route and was a curl, hence why CK is still throwing to Lloyd WITH Lloyd trailing Sherman the whole way. But from the back vantage point, the ball is already in the air as Lloyd is breaking out (head not turned around). It's probably on accuracy (long throw) but perhaps CK thought Lloyd would just drop down there vs. curl out to the sidelines...maybe a miscommunication or wrong route or right route and poor throw (poor mental decision + poor accuracy). It's hard to tell. Then again, his accuracy too was on-off all game as well.

I think it was just a inaccurate throw. Even is Lloyd doesn't curl towards the sideline the throw is still to far inside and at the very least Lloyd is able to play defense. Could have been the wrong route though. I don't think it was a poor mental decision b/c the guy was open just a bad throw. Lloyd trailing makes me believe it was supposed to be a throw to Lloyd's outside shoulder. t
  • thl408
4th drive of the game

1st & 10
Power Right
Gore run for +2

Dropback #7
1Q 2nd & 8

49ers: To Kap's right is the Drive concept (Boldin's Drag + Celek's In). The Drive concept works against man or zone. To Kap's left is the Sail concept (VD's Go which acts as a clear out + Lloyd providing the High read + Gore providing the Low read). Sail concept is a zone buster.
SEA: Fire zone blitz (3 deep zone, 3 underneath zone, 5 man pressure)

The defender that was lined up over Boldin comes unblocked. Kap targets the hot read - Boldin's drag. Kap is mid windup.

Boldin +4. Had protection picked up the blitz, the Sail concept was about to outnumber the defenders 3v2. Watch how SEA blitzes. Three rushers make it a point to take on JMart, Boone, and MMartin. Unless Gore comes across the formation to pick up a blitzer, the right side of the Oline is outnumbered.
Originally posted by lamontb:

I think it was just a inaccurate throw. Even is Lloyd doesn't curl towards the sideline the throw is still to far inside and at the very least Lloyd is able to play defense. Could have been the wrong route though. I don't think it was a poor mental decision b/c the guy was open just a bad throw. Lloyd trailing makes me believe it was supposed to be a throw to Lloyd's outside shoulder. t

That would be my best guess as well (albeit speculative). It's not like CK/Harbaugh are going to throw Lloyd under the bus even if it was the wrong route. I only bring up the wrong route possibility b/c Lloyd is still new to our offense and I think, he alone, only had 3 catches over the past 4 games coming in?
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 3, 2014 at 10:24 AM ]

• thl408
Dropback #8

3rd & 4

49ers: Sucker concept (SJ + Boldin) to Kap's right (this concept has been mentioned in previous threads). It's a stretch on the orange hook/curl defender. To Kap's left is an interesting route combo. It's a fake Smash as VD runs a double move. He fakes towards the Corner route, then heads straight up the field.
SEA: cover3

Kap completes his dropback and looks to his right.

The hook/curl defender sags and is taking away Boldin's route. The correct throw is to SJ. Kap is mid windup.

SJ for +7.
Kaep has no trust in his line that they will block for him, nor should he
wow look at how fast Earl Thomas is, fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Barring some major injuries to our WR's ..Osgood should never be on the field while SJ is on the sideline. Was SJ hurt?
  • thl408
Next set of downs

2nd Quarter
1st & 10 - Staley called for offensive holding on a Gore run.
1st & 20
Dropback #9

49ers: To Kap's left is a route combination that we've seen many times this season. Perhaps so many times that SEA has talked about it in their meetings. Lloyd helps to push the zone defenders back while the short Curl (Boldin) is targeted. To Kap's right is a Curl (VD) - Flat (Gore) concept.
SEA: cover3

Kap is mid windup targeting Boldin's Curl. Chancellor is all over this route and will swat the pass away. To Kap's right, the Curl Flat works in horizontally stretching the orange curl/flat defender. Orange follows Gore to the flat. This opens a throwing lane to the Curl (VD).

I can't fault Kap too much for looking left because the route combination to Kap's left usually works. SEA did their homework and Chancellor defends it well. On the TV broadcast, VD is seen putting his arms up wondering why he wasn't targeted. Incomplete pass.
Share 49ersWebzone