LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 316 users in the forums

Seattle Seahawks coaches game analysis (week 13)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
First Half:

Series 1-7:
1 (LIKED) CK checks off what appears to be a deep shot to Lloyd and hits Crabtree for 4 yards for a 1st down in the middle of the field. Loved that we started out attacking the middle with Mebane out (Gore for 8). (DISLIKED) Obvious run AND pass formations tipped off by personnel choices and the formations alone (MB speaks to this as well). On 3rd and 6, I hated the deep sideline go-routes with 2 WR's in same exact area; I hated Lloyd on Sherman and it was a weak effort IMHO (plenty of time to adjust). Staley getting pwned.

2 (LIKED) Liked the read option run with Gore up the middle for 5. (DISLIKED) On right hash mark, CK's primary read was a deep LEFT sideline bomb to Lloyd who also mistimed his jump (good throw considering the distance that ball had to travel). CK then sacked by the entire DL just under 3 seconds (no chance here).

3 (LIKED) Nothing. (DISLIKED) Staley getting pwned again and this time by our own Dobbs = 3rd and 7 now. Empty backfield so Seattle counters with dropping 8 and rushing only 3. INT to Lloyd. I don't like this call as Lloyd is already 0-2 already and isn't showing a single positive sign esp. against Sherman; CK goes for the primary read anyhow and Osgood is the only other receiver available to that side. Chemistry is off here, accuracy possibly, miscommunication, etc. between CK and Lloyd. Blown coverage by Borland and Cully leads to 7 the other way.

4 (LIKED) Loved the short middle pass to Boldin to set up 3rd and 4. Then CK threads the needle to Johnson in the middle for a 1st down AFTER just throwing an INT (no hesitation). (DISLIKED) Another obvious run formation and now Seattle is adjusting by stacking an 8-man box. Then a great 8 yard run up the middle negated by another eff-up by Staley (holding, basically, an 18 yard loss). Another simplistic run-and-turn route allows Chancellor to knock down a short pass on Boldin and the empty backfield tips off another pass. Run on 3rd and 20 and crowd is starting to, "Booooooo!" Look for CK to start pressing from here.

5 (LIKED) CK pulls a Wilson, escapes pressure and finds Hyde's check-down drag route underneath for 16! (DISLIKED) Seattle is daring us to throw and now stacking the box with 9 on 1st downs = -1 loss. Formation is weak as all 3 WR's lined up to the same side and we're on the inside hash mark shrinking the field even more and Lloyd, once again, gets zero separation again and is now 0-4 in this game plan as the primary target. Staley with another penalty although it's moot as we're punting anyhow. Didn't like the rushed accuracy to Johnson on 3rd and 11 but again, even if completed, penalty on Staley. Punt.

6 (LIKED) Liked the design of the underneath drag route to Crabtree but…(DISLIKED) Crabtree is the wrong personnel here. He's hurt, slow laterally and the pass was a tad behind him. This is a play you call best on 1st down…not 2nd and 12. Why 12? Seattle on first down now has stacked 10 in the box and 1 DB is left out on the field with nobody to cover (comical). Then another miscommunication between CK and Lloyd as the primary route (now, 0-5) almost leads to another Sherman INT. CK is starting to press more and more as even that throw was a bit rushed as well (thinking "pressure is coming").

7 (LIKED) Team finally starts to isolate Simon with Johnson (that's a win every time). (DISLIKED) The problem was we wasted 18 of the final 30 seconds figuring out what we were going to do and only got to the 50 as the clock runs out for halftime. Perfect way to end it as the crowd is booing even louder now!

Overall:
(DISLIKED) So as you can see, overall, I hated the game plan of targeting Lloyd who was absolutely worthless this game. I personally hated the choice because he and Johnson had a collective 9 catches coming into the game the past FOUR games and NONE in the last game. And THAT'S who you put on Sherman and attack? Stupid! You could see there was no chemistry between CK and Lloyd naturally as those passes were all low % passes anyhow and trust/chemistry is critical on low % passes. I didn't like how we overloaded a very small area of the field for CK making it easier to cover us. I didn't like how Seattle was adjusting to our predictable 1st down runs leaving us in constant 2nd and longs (or the fact that we didn't check out of them). I didn't like all the deep sideline bombs esp. when 2 WR's run the same route and are 3 feet apart from each other. The only other player who may have played worse than Lloyd was Staley. I didn't like that both our formations AND personnel packages tipped off exactly what we were going to do (run or pass). It was obvious in rewatching the Hawks CB's that they WERE all over these very simplistic WR routes and even had extra time to square up and keep their eyes in the backfield on CK. CK's accuracy was off this night as well as he started to press more and more as our own crowd boo'd after each stalled drive and he stuck with his primary read (and most were not favorable matchups). Entire line giving up a sack on 3rd down again. More poor time management at the end again. Didn't think to target Simon with Johnson until the very end of the half. Zero shots in the middle of the field beyond 7 yards. Just not a whole lot to like and clearly, we weren't set up to win this one IMHO.

(LIKED) The good was that we tried to hit many more short quick passes this time, CK showed some moxy immediately after his INT threading the needle, called off what appeared to be a deep bomb for a short conversion that lead to a 1st down, scrambled and hit Hyde as an outlet for 16 yards, etc. I liked the game plan to target the middle of the DL for big runs with Mebane out. But like chess, you need to counter when your opponent adjusts...and we didn't in the run game. I liked the formation with CK in the pistol as he handed it off to Gore inside while he ran off tackle. Had we gone back to this play with a CK keeper, we may have had a big hitter there.
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 3, 2014 at 7:54 AM ]
Jesus, Celek was wide open on that pass to Lloyd. I know its easy for me to say sitting on my ass watching film with no pass rushers in my face, and Lloyd was probably his primary, etc, but still. You gotta make that read as an NFL QB. He had time and a good pocket. Inexcusable.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Thl408, just absolutely spot on in your assessment and I share this same sentiment. So sad. You probably don't even NEED these but just in case:

Hawk's Game:
2nd and 3
2nd and 10
2nd and 10
2nd and 7
2nd and 8
2nd and 20
2nd and 11
2nd and 12
2nd and 5
2nd and 7
2nd and 16
2nd and 10
2nd and 10
2nd and 7
2nd and 10
2nd and 4
2nd and 15

Of the 17 2nd downs we had this game, here is the breakdown:
14 of the 17 times we had >7 yards to go averaging 12.6 yards to go

Overall:
On 2nd downs, 67% of the time (158 of 237) we had >7 yards to go averaging 11 yards to go. In short, 2/3rds of the time we're going BACKWARDS on 1st downs and putting ourselves in 2nd and longs, which as you know, often times snowballs from there.

I'll post their offensive game plan as well as ours and some likes and dislikes in each offensive series for reference. But overall, this loss stung badly for me too even though, I was expecting an outcome like this while having "faith" in better!

The one thing this game solidified for me was our unquestioned strength the last 3yrs has become a liability. Albeit it's mostly due to injuries and holdouts it is what it is. Not being able to throw out 140-150 yards a game in rushing has grinded this offense to almost a stop. It's just ashame, unless their is a 1988 type rising off the deck this is gonna go down as one of the most disappointing seasons in my time as a fan(I've been watching since 1987).
thl408 will indirectly or directly (see OP) cover our game plan against Seattle. But here was their game plan IMHO:

Seattle's scouting report: Niners pass rush is back, have a stout 3-man rotation and they've also been more aggressive as well (even bringing CB blitzes from Johnson). They play tons of off coverage and zone (very little, if any, man coverage).

Game plan:
1. We'll put Wilson in deep shotgun, back him deep in the backfield, get him on the move and keep everything in front of him so he can either scramble, avoid the pass rush, take off, or hit open receivers that will eventually get open. Results: Often times, Wilson had 7-8 seconds to find a guy or throw the ball away.

2. Invite the pass rush with extra blockers. Wilson (TE) would stay into block, then last second, release and Wilson (QB) would hit him instantly with plenty of green in front of him (b/c we're in off zone coverage way down field). Results: Wilson would kill us on 3rd downs picking up on 9 on 3rd and 8's and a near TD and long RAC's.

3. Attack the edges with RB's and TE's. With the Niners in deeper off coverage (rarely, if ever challenged at the LOS in man press or jam press), they'll sprint Michael and Turbin and even Wilson out of the backfield to the flats/sidelines. Use the width of the field vs. vertical passing. Results: A TD and big chunk plays and maximum YAC with a couple blown-coverage results.

4. Once we've hit the edges with our RB's in the passing game on the edges, come quickly back and run Lynch up through the G's. Results: Lynch had over 100 yards again against us.

5. Now that the edges have been exploited, the pass rush is slowed a tad and they've hit Lynch up inside, throw in some crossing routes behind the LB's who will now have cement feet d/t the previous 4 successes. Results: Borland had a subpar game, ILB's and S's had to hesitate and many coversions were made right over the middle of the field esp. on 3rd downs, etc. Middle-of-the-field passes are the shortest and easiest passes to make for a QB even when he's 5'2".

Overall Results:
(While not a Hawk favorite) Bevell is a MUCH smarter OC than HaRoman and company. They didn't do anything exotic, played to their own strengths and within themselves, minimized their own weaknesses (putting the entire passing game on Wilson and a weaker OL) and used our strengths against us (pass rush and off coverage schemes). As a result, Wilson was fairly clean most of the game, barely broke a sweat passing, the distance the ball traveled in the air was bare minimal for the game but with maximum for YAC results, kept the chains moving, controlled the TOP and put up just enough points to win. Very patient and simple game plan and the same one they've used against us for years minus the deep scramble-backyard-bombs to Tate who used to sneak behind our defense.

Now, being as objective as you can, what was OUR offensive game plan to start the game and after half time? How did our game plan make life easy for a young QB, an OL that stinks in PP, got Gore/Hyde rolling, controlled the TOP, maintained a rhythm, scored TD's in the RZ, etc.
Originally posted by Niners816:
The one thing this game solidified for me was our unquestioned strength the last 3yrs has become a liability. Albeit it's mostly due to injuries and holdouts it is what it is. Not being able to throw out 140-150 yards a game in rushing has grinded this offense to almost a stop. It's just ashame, unless their is a 1988 type rising off the deck this is gonna go down as one of the most disappointing seasons in my time as a fan(I've been watching since 1987).

I hear you. We ALL hear you!!!
Thl408, just absolutely spot on in your assessment and I share this same sentiment. So sad. You probably don't even NEED these but just in case:

Hawk's Game:
2nd and 3
2nd and 10
2nd and 10
2nd and 7
2nd and 8
2nd and 20
2nd and 11
2nd and 12
2nd and 5
2nd and 7
2nd and 16
2nd and 10
2nd and 10
2nd and 7
2nd and 10
2nd and 4
2nd and 15

Of the 17 2nd downs we had this game, here is the breakdown:
14 of the 17 times we had >7 yards to go averaging 12.6 yards to go

Overall:
On 2nd downs, 67% of the time (158 of 237) we had >7 yards to go averaging 11 yards to go. In short, 2/3rds of the time we're going BACKWARDS on 1st downs and putting ourselves in 2nd and longs, which as you know, often times snowballs from there.

I'll post their offensive game plan as well as ours and some likes and dislikes in each offensive series for reference. But overall, this loss stung badly for me too even though, I was expecting an outcome like this while having "faith" in better!

Thanks for the stats, NCommand. Just wanted to point out that your two-thirds number is a bit inaccurate and misleading. In this game, we moved backward on five of seventeen first downs, which is not even one third of the time. You can only include those situations where it was second and greater than ten in your parameters (second and ten is not moving backward on first down, it is staying the same). Also, the magnitude of a loss on one first down does not increase the frequency at which we lost yards on other first downs.

I know it's petty...I'm a bit of a stickler for these things. I realize you put a lot more time into these recap posts than I do in any of my posts, so I'm not trying to tear you down at all. Just want the data to be accurately represented.

Edit: Your point is completely valid. Success on first down is crucial, and we've been pathetic all season.
[ Edited by VinculumJuris on Dec 3, 2014 at 7:45 AM ]
Originally posted by thl408:
This is the first play from scrimmage. Normally a 7 yard run isn't a big deal...until you realize it's Gore's biggest run of the game.

1Q 1st & 10
Inside zone. Staley and Iupati with the combo block, then Iupati will get to the second level.

Iupati about to leave the combo block and target the LB.

Hat on hat as Gore sees daylight.

+7. Nice start to the game.

I think we had a couple more decent runs up the middle with Hyde too but after this, I noticed Seattle said, "Enough of this!" and started stacking the box with 8...then 9...then 10 men with 1 CB and nobody to cover on first downs. You see the end results of the 2nd and longs. Then like thl408 noted, they continued with their standard 8 in coverage on 2nd and 3rd downs and even brought some blitzes. Again, our inability to do ANYTHING on first downs killed our chances and with a game plan reliant on Lloyd and Johnson on Sherman (12 total targets) running deep sideline go routes and curls. Remember, these are LONG passes esp. when you consider which hash mark we were on. CK has to throw around the 2 to 2.5 second mark and trust that primary read will not only beat his man but get to the spot he's throwing. When you factor that these throws are already low % anyhow WITH the personnel choices (Lloyd/Johnson = 9 catches in the past 4 games and 0 the past game), it decreases the probability of completions even more. In short, we screwed ourselves.
Originally posted by VinculumJuris:
Thanks for the stats, NCommand. Just wanted to point out that your two-thirds number is a bit inaccurate and misleading. In this game, we moved backward on five of seventeen first downs, which is not even one third of the time. You can only include those situations where it was second and greater than ten in your parameters (second and ten is not moving backward on first down, it is staying the same). Also, the magnitude of a loss on one first down does not increase the frequency at which we lost yards on other first downs.

I know it's petty...I'm a bit of a stickler for these things. I realize you put a lot more time into these recap posts than I do in any of my posts, so I'm not trying to tear you down at all. Just want the data to be accurately represented.

Sorry, that's cumulative averages (average yards to go) for the year. So yes, 2/3rds of the year, we're averaging 11 yards left to go which, in a sense, is going backwards. For instance, if we're in 2nd and 7 and then 2nd and 15 we're averaging 11 yards to go overall on these two plays. But to have a negative average this far into the season is horrendous b/c most plays, you'll get SOME positive yards going forward at least (1, 2, 3 yards). To average 11 (or in this Seattle game, 12.6, means you're not only gaining few positive yards but losing BIG negative yards). Either way, it hurts us a ton and you know we're ranked either 31st or 32nd now in first down production so this is just some more proof of that. Many of us come from a WCO where first down production is THE focus of the offense so it stands out to us even more.

PS: Appreciate the feedback as well! Let me know if I didn't make sense (PM me).
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 3, 2014 at 7:53 AM ]

I've always been able to accept losses and getting beat, but losing to those c********rs is unbearable. I have exactly ZERO respect for that whole outfit (fans, team, staff...wilson is the only exception).

To get it back to X's and O's, I would like to see a little more option out of a trips gun look with hyde. Basically I think this is something we could steal from Seattle and use for the last month. Give me a trip gun with a tight te, use the option run and get kap moving and this could also be a way to get vd going.
Originally posted by VinculumJuris:

Sorry, that's cumulative averages (average yards to go) for the year. So yes, 2/3rds of the year, we're averaging 11 yards left to go which, in a sense, is going backwards. For instance, if we're in 2nd and 7 and then 2nd and 15 we're averaging 11 yards to go overall on these two plays. But to have a negative average this far into the season is horrendous b/c most plays, you'll get SOME positive yards going forward at least (1, 2, 3 yards). To average 11 (or in this Seattle game, 12.6, means you're not only gaining few positive yards but losing BIG negative yards). Either way, it hurts us a ton and you know we're ranked either 31st or 32nd now in first down production so this is just some more proof of that. Many of us come from a WCO where first down production is THE focus of the offense so it stands out to us even more.

PS: Appreciate the feedback as well! Let me know if I didn't make sense (PM me).

Agreed, we're awful on first down. I understand the stats and methodology you're using, just wanted to give my thoughts on how you're presenting your data. Not at all disagreeing with your conclusion.

I've always been able to accept losses and getting beat, but losing to those c********rs is unbearable. I have exactly ZERO respect for that whole outfit (fans, team, staff...wilson is the only exception).

To get it back to X's and O's, I would like to see a little more option out of a trips gun look with hyde. Basically I think this is something we could steal from Seattle and use for the last month. Give me a trip gun with a tight te, use the option run and get kap moving and this could also be a way to get vd going.

What pissed me off the most was that Bevell used the EXACT same game plan I would have used AGAINST them. All I can do now is

It is what it is and there WILL be some big changes going forward. I trust Baalke. I pray those changes are great going forward. All we need is an average offense (22.8 yards a game). That's it!

As to your X's and O's. I love the ideas that are formulated in here...they are hard to even play Devil's Advocate against!
VinculumJuris: Absolutely and I appreciate the feedback! If there is anything else I can do to help provide context let me know. Thl408 and jonnydel will cover the "end results" in here very well.
What pissed me off the most was that Bevell used the EXACT same game plan I would have used AGAINST them. All I can do now is

It is what it is and there WILL be some big changes going forward. I trust Baalke. I pray those changes are great going forward. All we need is an average offense (22.8 yards a game). That's it!

As to your X's and O's. I love the ideas that are formulated in here...they are hard to even play Devil's Advocate against!

The most mind numbing thing of it all is the defensive effort we have wasted. You give this defense to our 1992 or 1998 squad and they go 15-1 or better and stroll to a title.

The most mind numbing thing of it all is the defensive effort we have wasted. You give this defense to our 1992 or 1998 squad and they go 15-1 or better and stroll to a title.

There isn't even a question about it. Even our 6'2" CB in Dontae Johnson has been playing the "slot" and the outside since Ward went down and has looked tremendous. We don't have really, any big holes...just inexperience (NT, slot CB, ILB, etc.) but all are getting better and better each game. It's just absolutely remarkable what this defense has accomplished this year...top 5 in just about every meaningful category (8th in Points Allowed); which with this offense, is also top 5 most likely. Had we scored just 24 points on average this year (just above average), we're now 9-2-1.
There isn't even a question about it. Even our 6'2" CB in Dontae Johnson has been playing the "slot" and the outside since Ward went down and has looked tremendous. We don't have really, any big holes...just inexperience (NT, slot CB, ILB, etc.) but all are getting better and better each game. It's just absolutely remarkable what this defense has accomplished this year...top 5 in just about every meaningful category (8th in Points Allowed); which with this offense, is also top 5 most likely. Had we scored just 24 points on average this year (just above average), we're now 9-2-1.

That's why I still have hope for this season. If the offense could just find away to put something together, I feel like this defense is gonna be nasty for the last month. There has got to be a way to find 30-40 extra yards a game and 5 or so points. This team sorely needs an explosion vs Oakland this weekend.
Share 49ersWebzone