LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 142 users in the forums

Seattle Seahawks coaches game analysis (week 13)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
Since this game was played five days ago, I'm sure it's been talked about to death from nearly all angles. I'll just try to show the film and let others decide for themselves. Is it mainly the gameplan? The team's execution of the gameplan? The QB? The running game? SEA's defense?

TLDR version:
Things that sucked:
- Kap's inaccuracy
- Coaches gameplan of continuing to give the green light to deep throws while having 0 deep threats and a poor success rate (34%)
- Coaches not working the RBs into the passing game when it was available.
- JMart's run blocking

Things that were good:
- Red zone defense
- Aldon
- OAK is next

It's very disappointing what I saw from Kap, the coaches, and the Oline. Each of those components played a part in the anemic showing on offense. What's surprising though, is that the Oline was the least of the bad. SEA has a good pass rush so I don't expect Kap to have much time. I do expect them to protect him enough where he can complete his dropback and in most of the cases, they did. Credit the SEA defense too as they knew and squatted on some routes when Kap went to his quick throws, which mainly consisted of curls over the short middle. Instead of the deep throws, I thought the areas to attack were the flats and intermediate middle.

I had questioned why the 49ers kept attempting deep throws in the previous games when there was no deep threat on the roster. From NYG game:
"There were a number of times where the 49ers went for the long bomb when it was completely unnecessary. Given that they have no speed threat WRs and VD is gimpy, there is no speed threat on the team except for Ellington who hasn't caught anything deep downfield."
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/180298-giants-coaches-film-analysis/page12/#post174

From WAS game:
Often, WAS would load the box with 8 and play man coverage. This is a compliment to the run game and a disrespect to the passing game. Some of that could be on Kap, but I think a lot of it is on the WR corp's lack of a deep threat. WAS didn't feel the need to fear being beat deep. This is why the 49ers took some deep shots even with no deep threats...
When the WRs were covered downfield - no surprise there - there were indeed options underneath to throw to. Kap instead, scrambled for minimal gains. If the deep option is not there, Kap needs to be fast with adjusting his eye level to the short routes. Whether this is on the coaching to drill it into his head or on Kap to do it because that would be the logical thing to do, it needs to be done.
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/180357-washington-redskins-coaches-film-analysis/#post15

Then after the SEA game, we all found out this (from many recent articles): Kaepernick has attempted 61 passes of 20 yards or more down the field (3rd most in NFL)...But Kaepernick has connected on just 34.4 percent of his pass attempts of 20 yards or more with four touchdowns and four interceptions.

So for the third game in a row, I am puzzled why the 49ers continued to push the ball downfield with no legitimate deep threat. It's like a baseball player with warning track power that is swinging for the fences. It's like a basketall player with a mid range jumper that's chucking up 3 pointers. The 49ers are throwing away downs by attempting so many deep balls and this offense isn't good enough to throw away downs.

On a number of dropbacks, SEA neglected to cover the RB out of the backfield. This is smart on their part because the 49ers don't use their RBs in the passing game. It is a shame that an offense that likes to 'do it all' in terms of 2TE power run game to 5 wide spread passing, can't get their RBs involved. This allowed the SEA LBs to play back, spy Kap, and cover passing lanes.

On to Kap. The only thing SEA did differently from the last game they played was blitz more often. Other than that, it was cover3 and cover1. All night. This isn't hard to read post snap. What's hard is locating the correct route under the good pass rush and good coverage. On many dropbacks, Kap either failed to recognize the correct throw or made a bad throw. It did not seem that there were many designed throws in this game. I think I may have only counted one of the deep throws in the game as the correct throw. All the others were head scratchers.

Since Kap and the passing offense is the big story of the week. I will try to cut up each of his dropbacks. At least up until the 4th Q because after that point in the game, who cares. This loss stung bad for me. The 49ers had all offseason to think about what they would do the next time they met SEA and the coaches came up with this gameplan? Kap put forth this performance? Disappointing on so many levels that I stayed away from posting until I had a better understanding of what happened. The focus for me will be on the passing game. The good news (?) is that OAK is next so at least we can renew bragging rights over those chumps across the bay.
  • thl408
This is the first play from scrimmage. Normally a 7 yard run isn't a big deal...until you realize it's Gore's biggest run of the game.

1Q 1st & 10
Inside zone. Staley and Iupati with the combo block, then Iupati will get to the second level.

Iupati about to leave the combo block and target the LB.

Hat on hat as Gore sees daylight.

+7. Nice start to the game.
  • thl408
Dropback #1

1Q 2nd & 3

49ers: mirroring Curl-Flat concepts with Crabs' curl over the middle to give three curls across the field. The Curl-Flat concepts target the curl-flat zone defenders (orange). VD(curl) + Gore (flat) in addition to Lloyd (curl) + Boldin (flat). The blue lines show which defenders are the deep 1/3 defenders.
SEA: cover3

Kap mid windup targeting Crabs over the middle. Crabs is the higher percentage throw and the 49ers only need 3. With Sherman giving a 5 yard cushion to VD, VD's curl is also available.

+5
  • thl408
Dropback #2

Here's a designed throw (AR concept) that looks to get the RB involved.

49ers look to hit Gore on a RB circle route.

This is a designed throw because VD and Miller never look back for the ball. They run their "route" then target their block. Kap sees that Gore has been schemed open.

Notice Miller is already blocking. Gore gets both hands on the ball, but can't handle the pass. Incomplete.

(I know the players looks like ants. The Levi's stadium all22 operator loves to zoom wide. It gets everyone easily in view, but everyone is extra tiny)
  • thl408
Dropback #3

On 2nd & 10
Counter Left
Gore +4 yard run

Dropback #3
1Q 3rd & 6

49ers: It looks like the primary read should be Boldin as VD and Lloyd clear the area for Boldin (vs Maxwell) to work his short Out route.
SEA: cover1
I like what SEA does with the blue OLB here. He fakes the blitz then peels off to help cover SJ's slant.

On the backside, SJ turned his CB around 360, but Kap doesn't look to SJ. Even if he had, I can't tell if the blue OLB is obstructing the passing lane. Kap targets Lloyd vs Sherman.

Good protection. Incomplete pass. Punt.
[ Edited by thl408 on Dec 3, 2014 at 9:20 AM ]
  • thl408
Dropback #4

2nd Drive of the game

1Q 1& 10
49ers: 4 Verticals

Kap completes the playfake and his dropback and sees this. The FS (orange) is leaning towards VD's side of the field.

Kap is mid windup, targeting Lloyd vs Maxwell. The better throw is to Celek (#88).

Incomplete.
  • thl408
Dropback #5

On 2nd & 10
Inside Zone
Gore +5 yards

1Q 3rd & 5
49ers: Man buster to Kap's right as Boldin and SJ stack, then SJ will trail Boldin. Smash concept (zone buster) to Kap's left.
SEA: cover1 (5 man pressure)

Kap hits the top of his dropback as JMart is about to give up outside pressure. SJ is about to execute his pivot route trying to shake very sticky man coverage. Boldin has yet to cut his route.

As Kap steps up to avoid the outside pressure. MMartin gives up inside pressure and Kap runs into him. Boldin runs a very nice route and gets separation, but it doesn't matter as Kap is never able to see the routes develop due to pressure. The Smash concept was well defended with Chancellor taking outside leverage to beat VD's corner route. Crab's quick Curl has little chance against man coverage.

SEA defends the stack formation by having the press CB let Boldin go by and matching SJ.

Sacked for -7. Punt.
You deserve a medal or something for rewatching that s**t show. I totally agree though that the offense has got way too vertical. This passing game should be taking advantage of our possession WR running triangle stretch plays and trying to get the backs involved in the passing game more. Doubt it happens to be extent I want, but I'll continue to hope for it.
Kap's deep throw decisions
That third down play is a microcosm of the entire season. Pass pro failing just as a WR gets opens. Boldin basically spins Dick, would have been a nice gain for a first and proably a good confidence boost. Martin is just too damn weak.

ty for this thread
Jonathan Martin is trash. Had he held up vs Avril & Benneett things coulda been different.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Jonathan Martin is trash. Had he held up vs Avril & Benneett things coulda been different.

No he's not. He's a backup and plays shoulder on shoulder with this year's worst Niner in the starting lineup.
Do you think you could break down the series were we actually scored lol? It looked like we ran some read options and play action which seemed to work....Thanks!
Originally posted by thl408:
Since this game was played five days ago, I'm sure it's been talked about to death from nearly all angles. I'll just try to show the film and let others decide for themselves. Is it mainly the gameplan? The team's execution of the gameplan? The QB? The running game? SEA's defense?

TLDR version:
Things that sucked:
- Kap's inaccuracy
- Coaches gameplan of continuing to give the green light to deep throws while having 0 deep threats and a poor success rate (34%)
- Coaches not working the RBs into the passing game when it was available.
- JMart's run blocking

Things that were good:
- Red zone defense
- Aldon
- OAK is next

It's very disappointing what I saw from Kap, the coaches, and the Oline. Each of those components played a part in the anemic showing on offense. What's surprising though, is that the Oline was the least of the bad. SEA has a good pass rush so I don't expect Kap to have much time. I do expect them to protect him enough where he can complete his dropback and in most of the cases, they did. Credit the SEA defense too as they knew and squatted on some routes when Kap went to his quick throws, which mainly consisted of curls over the short middle. Instead of the deep throws, I thought the areas to attack were the flats and intermediate middle.

So for the third game in a row, I am puzzled why the 49ers continued to push the ball downfield with no legitimate deep threat. It's like a baseball player with warning track power that is swinging for the fences. It's like a basketall player with a mid range jumper that's chucking up 3 pointers. The 49ers are throwing away downs by attempting so many deep balls and this offense isn't good enough to throw away downs.

On a number of dropbacks, SEA neglected to cover the RB out of the backfield. This is smart on their part because the 49ers don't use their RBs in the passing game. It is a shame that an offense that likes to 'do it all' in terms of 2TE power run game to 5 wide spread passing, can't get their RBs involved. This allowed the SEA LBs to play back, spy Kap, and cover passing lanes.

This loss stung bad for me. The 49ers had all offseason to think about what they would do the next time they met SEA and the coaches came up with this gameplan? Kap put forth this performance? Disappointing on so many levels that I stayed away from posting until I had a better understanding of what happened. The focus for me will be on the passing game. The good news (?) is that OAK is next so at least we can renew bragging rights over those chumps across the bay.

Thl408, just absolutely spot on in your assessment and I share this same sentiment. So sad. You probably don't even NEED these but just in case:

Hawk's Game:
2nd and 3
2nd and 10
2nd and 10
2nd and 7
2nd and 8
2nd and 20
2nd and 11
2nd and 12
2nd and 5
2nd and 7
2nd and 16
2nd and 10
2nd and 10
2nd and 7
2nd and 10
2nd and 4
2nd and 15

Of the 17 2nd downs we had this game, here is the breakdown:
14 of the 17 times we had >7 yards to go averaging 12.6 yards to go

Overall:
On 2nd downs, 67% of the time (158 of 237) we had >7 yards to go averaging 11 yards to go. In short, 2/3rds of the time we're going BACKWARDS on 1st downs and putting ourselves in 2nd and longs, which as you know, often times snowballs from there.

I'll post their offensive game plan as well as ours and some likes and dislikes in each offensive series for reference. But overall, this loss stung badly for me too even though, I was expecting an outcome like this while having "faith" in better!
Share 49ersWebzone