There are 260 users in the forums

How great has Baalke been? NFL.COM hails the greatest WR rookie class ever!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • ethan
  • Veteran
You can't complain about the 2014 draft class. Well, you can, but no one will listen to you.
Originally posted by theninermaniac:

I still can't let go 2012 draft class...

AJ Jenkins and LMJ......

Tony Jerod Eddie is the best to come from that class and he went undrafted.....

Missing on an entire draft will set your team back.......

Thanks Baalke.......
We rolled a ton of draft capital from 2012 into 2013 and 2014. Look at the transactions! Baalke missed on AJJ and Jim missed on LMJ. We flipped our third for a second and on and on. Tell me when has Jim's offense ever emphasized or prioritized the WR position? Baalke tries to draft to the philosophy of his HC
Originally posted by 9moon:
Sending our 2014 1st round & 3rd rounder and a 2015 (1st rounder) for Watkins woulda been an awesome move.

We would have:

Watkins - Borland - and still landed Lynch.. so what if we didn't have Ward and Carlos Hyde?

then we coulda offered Crabb to the Jets for a future 2nd rounder

Vernon Davis to either KC, Baltmore or Houston for another 2nd rounder

Iuapti to Denver for another 2nd rounder

and boom!!! the future would look so much brighter!!!

Know what...never mind.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Like we'd use a rookie wideout

If one is hurt... He'll go for it
To there credit they have been trying to get speed on the field with AJJ &LMJ they just didn't pan out. They brought in Randy Moss, DC had to respect his abilities making are offense more potent all the way to the SB.This yr they traded for Stevie Johnson & brought in Brandon Lloyd, drafted Ellington . I really hope they can get Josh Gordon in free agency this off season.
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
I think you are not seeing the forest through the trees. We were good when we had top picks on the o line that were able to play together (ie not injured, holding out, etc). Dallas was terrible until they got several top picks on the o line. I think the offensive line is the issue. It's almost too late for them. I wouldn't mind seeing a tackle and a guard in the top four rounds next year. We lacked depth this year and it hurt this team big time.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheRambler:

Furthermore, we would have had to trade up quite a bit to get any of the premiere WRs from the draft (Watkins, Evans, Beckham).

Maybe we could have gone after Cooks, but Baalke is a size queen and Cooks is short.

First question is why shouldn't we play a rookie WR ? Other teams do it all the time. Basically, this points to the ineptness of Harbaugh and the coaches.

Secondly, I don't think we even had to trade up last year, there were tonnes of great WR prospects to be had. Just to name a few, in the 2nd there were Jordan Matthews and Jarvis Landry who are both balling right now. In the 3rd, there was Moncrief who is also balling for the Colts. Even in the 4th when we picked Ellington, we could have picked Martavis Bryant who is balling for the Steelers right now.
Originally posted by Rascal:

Furthermore, we would have had to trade up quite a bit to get any of the premiere WRs from the draft (Watkins, Evans, Beckham).

Maybe we could have gone after Cooks, but Baalke is a size queen and Cooks is short.

First question is why shouldn't we play a rookie WR ? Other teams do it all the time. Basically, this points to the ineptness of Harbaugh and the coaches.

Secondly, I don't think we even had to trade up last year, there were tonnes of great WR prospects to be had. Just to name a few, in the 2nd there were Jordan Matthews and Jarvis Landry who are both balling right now. In the 3rd, there was Moncrief who is also balling for the Colts. Even in the 4th when we picked Ellington, we could have picked Martavis Bryant who is balling for the Steelers right now.

And if Bryant were here, he wouldn't play and you already know this.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
And if Bryant were here, he wouldn't play and you already know this.

Oh I know it full well cos our coaching staff suck and that's not just on the WRs. We don't have a QB who can fully utilize all the weapons. So, is a double whammy really.

Oh I know it full well cos our coaching staff suck and that's not just on the WRs. We don't have a QB who can fully utilize all the weapons. So, is a double whammy really.

So why do you assume that Ellington can't play, or even Patton for that matter. For all anyone knows, Ellington is an absolute stud when given the chance to play, something he never received here thus far.

The biggest mistake people are making is that because Moncrief or Matthews are playing well on their respective teams, that they'd be playing just as well with the 49ers in this offense, behind four other wide receivers and to me that's just baseless speculation. Impossible to tell how they would look on this team, whether they'd even play.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

So why do you assume that Ellington can't play, or even Patton for that matter. For all anyone knows, Ellington is an absolute stud when given the chance to play, something he never received here thus far.

The biggest mistake people are making is that because Moncrief or Matthews are playing well on their respective teams, that they'd be playing just as well with the 49ers in this offense, behind four other wide receivers and to me that's just baseless speculation. Impossible to tell how they would look on this team, whether they'd even play.

Yep. Aside from AJJ, it's hard to tell who at receiver will be a baller or a bust without working them on the field. We don't give our guys a chance to make plays like the opportunities ODB or Kelvin Benjamin are seeing. On top of that, Kap likes to throw to guys he trusts. Even when they get on the field, they see like four looks per season. It's ridiculous.
  • nj9er
  • Veteran

Benjamin has been playing well and went just a couple picks. We had 12 picks and a nickel corner was the pick. Come on
Originally posted by nj9er:
Benjamin has been playing well and went just a couple picks. We had 12 picks and a nickel corner was the pick. Come on

When has Jim featured a WR in his career aside from Kap going to Crabtree in 2012? Jim loves himself some TEs FBs and the running game. Baalke has tailored this roster to suit Jim's scheme. We are finding now that his scheme probably needs some significant adjustments. I am struggling to find instances where Jim has ever utilized the WR as a major point of emphasis in his offenses. Please help me because some here are wanting to blame TB for this offense not producing developing or drafting elite WR talent!
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Dec 2, 2014 at 8:55 PM ]
Where do people come up with this crap?
This thread is horrible, literally after reading this I feel like someone insulted me.

To the OP, go educate yourself on what Baalke has done.

Also adding a deep threat wide receiver changes nothing.
Usually when you throw deep, its because you have adequate time in the pocket. We don't have that this year. Watch how great our WR become when Iupati, Boone, Martin, and whomever else forgets how to pass block finally does their job.

Seriously I hate these threads
Share 49ersWebzone