LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 287 users in the forums

Remember Mike Mcarthy?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Mcarthy looked great as a coordinator for the saints and horrible as our coordinator and great again at GB. What happened? Did he forget how to coach for one year? Did he loose creativity for a short while? Did defenses figure out his predictable offenses and then not all of a sudden? Or did he have an inconsistent QB?

What about Andy Reid? Why did he get fired in Philly? He won with Qbs named Kolb, Garcia, hoying, detmer, and feely. All of whom,besides Garcia, never won anywhere else! He get Michael Vick (the most extreme of inconsistent Qbs who some call the coach killer) and he gets fired!

That brings us to Kaepernick! The Roman/Harbaugh combo switch to him at qb Midseason and we went to a Super Bowl! In that Super Bowl, they couldn't have had a better game plan! Even with a kickoff return, a long bomb TD and an INT that was an overthrow of an open wr (not the playcall) none of which was the OCs fault we still had a chance to win the game. With a run called that probably would have scored but Kaep wasn't watching the play clock(which he still struggles with)! A pass where Moss was open in the endzone but Kaep locked in on Crabtree (he still struggles with locking on to one wr)! Then the final play which could have been called PI if the ball was catchable which it wasn't because Kaep threw it out of bounds!(which he still does) Dont forget, after the loss Ron Jaworski said Kaep would be the greatest QB of all time!

But roman doesn't throw screen passes!

Go on YouTube an look up Kendall hunter highlights. When he is playing with Alex smith all I his highlights are screen passes!

So again, did roman forget how to coach? Did he forget how to call screen passes? Would you trade him for seattles OC? Whose play calls are like Russell run around for 7 seconds and then throw a ball with pinpoint accuracy to a WR or a TE (who no one has heard of) on the sideline and throw it where only they can catch it? Or run around and elude the blitz so that your RB and TE who was originally supposed to block can peel out and be wide open an run for a TD!

The difference is we have an inconsistent Qb and Seattle doesn't! Let me start by saying this, I am a Kaep fan! But, he has been inconsistent since college! I wasn't a fan before because I have seen him play live twice in college and in both games he was the reason his team lost. He wasn't losing because of INTs but in crucial moments he would miss open Wrs, or he would throw the fastball when he didn't need to. But after his first start he gave me a glimpse of who he could be at QB and I was fully on board! I still am on board and I don't mind him having the contract that he has!

That being said, I don't care who we bring in to call plays it will NOT make Kaep more consistent over night. It will probably take an offseason or 3 for him to get there. I have faith that given enough time Roman/Harbaugh could make him consistent enough to win a. SB! I also believe that Kaep is not the type of QB that can adapt to any system you put him in, at this point you need to change your system to fit him and what he does well! Therefore, even if we brought in Sean Peyton as our OC, our offense would look more like ours than it would like New Orleans because Kaep simply can't do a lot of the things Brees can on a consistent basis! So consistency and continuity might be better for Kaep problems right now! Also, changing things could actually set him back rather than help him out!

I am just as frustrated as everyone else! Kaep makes easy throws look hard and routine plays look complicated. I for one believe that those are temporary problems There is plenty of blame to go around but the grass isn't always greener on the other side! I hope that cooler heads prevail and that we allow the plan to unfold the the growing process to continue rather than make a change for the sake of change. JMHO!
TL; DR. Fire Roman.
I hear you.

But at the end of the day, the coaches will always be the first to go. Players are by far the bigger investment both in time and dollars, so coaches always get replaced before players.

Look at the situation in DC. Shanahan couldn't make it work with RG3 so he got fired. RG3 couldn't make it work under Gruden, so now it's his turn.

Same scenario could play out here over the next year.
That's a lot of exclamations!
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Making some pretty good points.
Sorry what has Roman ever proven? Kap holds various records in this league. Meanwhile Roman has done what in his illustrious career? And what has that other QB proven? 100 yards against an 0-10 team?
[ Edited by awp8912 on Nov 29, 2014 at 2:07 AM ]
Nice try with those points, but this coaching staff chose Kap over Smith. So yes, their heads should roll if they can't get Kap to be "consistent."
The year Mike McCarthy was OC, the 9ers were terrible. There wasn't much talent on the roster at all.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
offense has zero discipline. that's a coaching issue.
Originally posted by TheChozen:
The year Mike McCarthy was OC, the 9ers were terrible. There wasn't much talent on the roster at all.

Packers fans hate McCarthy too. He's pretty overrated, having one of the Top 3 QB's in the NFL will cover up a lot of weaknesses. Kaepernick is not a Top 3 QB or close but he deserves better than this s**tty called offense from a guy that Harbaugh pulled off the scrap heap off while he was coaching high school football.

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Nov 29, 2014 at 6:22 AM ]

• Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
remember when we'd keep it simple for Alex because of his physical weaknesses? Well we need to keep it simple for kap with his mental weaknesses.
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
I have faith that given enough time Roman/Harbaugh could make him consistent enough to win a. SB!

Might as well have faith a pigeon will s**t gold droppings all over your car.

What exactly so you see that inspires faith? As much as you try to pin everything on the current QB, that does nothing to explain why this team has been bad in the redzone ever since this current regime started, why after 4 seasons they still find the playclock mystifying like trying to explain one of the mysteries of the universe. After 4 seasons they still dont know how to utilize the players that they have, after 4 seasons we still have to hear from opposing players how predictable the 49ers offense is.

Unless you want to blame Kaepernick back when he was holding a clipboard, its pretty clear that he is mostly a symptom of a larger problem and that is simply bad offense.

Its amazing the excuses that some fans try to make when you have people like Dilfer, Holmgren, Eric Davis, even the announcers during games questioning the playcalling. Now you have guys like Crabtree and Staley making comments about the issues with "scheming."

Kaepernick might not be the long term QB for this team, that remains to be seen, but right now this team badly needs an overhaul in playcalling and scheme. Fix that and then see where he is at.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Nov 29, 2014 at 6:41 AM ]
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
remember when we'd keep it simple for Alex because of his physical weaknesses? Well we need to keep it simple for kap with his mental weaknesses.

Kaepernick and Alex combined would be the best QB in the NFL. Separately they are both incomplete quarterbacks. The difference is that Alex is who he is and that will never change. Kaepernick still could develop further but I feel like this offense is hampering him more than anything right now. It doesnt help that the players on offense in general no longer seem to buy into the offense and have more or less quit.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Nov 29, 2014 at 6:41 AM ]
Can't fire the player when the offense has looked similar with 2 different QB's at the helm.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

Kaepernick and Alex combined would be the best QB in the NFL. Separately they are both incomplete quarterbacks. The difference is that Alex is who he is and that will never change. Kaepernick still could develop further but I feel like this offense is hampering him more than anything right now. It doesnt help that the players on offense in general no longer seem to buy into the offense and have more or less quit.

ya, you definitely get the feeling that the offense, for the most part, just doesn't care anymore. They're just going through the motions. A few of the players have aired their grievances regarding the scheme and play calling. The hard part will be getting the players to buy back into whatever they decide to do.
Share 49ersWebzone