LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 250 users in the forums

The Nose Tackle position and Jonathan Martin absolutely killed us yesterday..

Shop Find 49ers gear online
If we had either Willis or Bowman and either Williams or Dorsey Beast mode and L.Wilson would have been shutdown. They both extended drives and amounted for nearly all the clutch plays.
At least we would have had better field position and given Kap more time to play catch with Sherman
Let's not worry about NT or any other defensive position for now.

Quite honestly, any legit 49er starter on the bubble should not be brought back until we can demonstrate we are at least semi-competent on offense.

I have no problem letting Wilhoite and Borland get their hard earned starter money the rest of this year.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by 9erTilDeath:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
I don't think Martin played that bad to the point he "killed us"...

It's not like this offense has clicked with a Davis in the lineup

This.

The NT didn't kill us. The D played VERY well.

The offense kept them on the field WAYYYYYY too long.

Yeah the NT didn't kill us and the D played great!!! We only allowed Seattle to rush for
167 yards.. And it opened up everything else..

First - I didn't say great - I said "very Well"

Tell me with all the 3 & out we had and all the time Seattle had the ball and all the time our D was on the field - How many points did they score?

19 points - that's it.

Did you do a little homework? How many TD's did they get when they were in the Red Zone???? They had to settle for FG for the most part

SOOOOOOOOO I guess or D played Very Well!!

If we had an offense that could produce - we could have won it.

What amazes me is how a team can hold a team to 19 points, we only score 3, yet the defense is the issue .
the NT plays anywhere around 5 to 30 % snaps in Fangios scheme, usually on the lower side; we are not signing a 4-3 DT Suh lol; in Fangios scheme the NT is the most replaceable position because its only played in base, and overwhlming majority of time we play 4-2-5 against pass-heavy teams

we also have signed Dorsey long-term and Ian was playing well for us. wishing to spend a ton of money on suh is at least an overreaction, at worst its a full-blown hysteria.
[ Edited by the_dynasty on Dec 1, 2014 at 2:11 PM ]
Why don't we play Looney instead of Martin? He played well this year and Martin is horrible.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
team loss, if we started to single out players responsible for the loss, the web site would crash again, move on. can not worry about the past, to much stuff to do here in the future
Originally posted by MBNINER90266:
Why don't we play Looney instead of Martin? He played well this year and Martin is horrible.

looney plays guard, martin plays tackle.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
When has Martin ever been good in the pros?

I think the obvious move is bump Boone to RT, and put in anyone but Martin at RG. Bench martin.
Dial doesn't have any nastiness to his game , he seems a bit timid and afraid to make mistakes, there is no explosiveness to his game, and he seems "too gentle" at times ..he needs to develop a violent attitude like Ray Mac & Cowboy , granted those guys are vets, but there is no hint of any potential of nastiness to him , and we all know he wont get anywhere being a "nice guy" ....hopefully a fire is lit under his ass soon , we need him to be a Force , not just a "nice player" ...nice guys sit at home during the playoffs

Martin got eaten ALIVE in pass protection vs. Seattle. he did kill us.

Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Dial doesn't have any nastiness to his game , he seems a bit timid and afraid to make mistakes, there is no explosiveness to his game, and he seems "too gentle" at times ..he needs to develop a violent attitude like Ray Mac & Cowboy , granted those guys are vets, but there is no hint of any potential of nastiness to him , and we all know he wont get anywhere being a "nice guy" ....hopefully a fire is lit under his ass soon , we need him to be a Force , not just a "nice player" ...nice guys sit at home during the playoffs

That's why he wasn't a high draft pick with his size. With that said I just don't think he's a NT going forward and is playing outta of position due to injuries. But he doens't appear to have any dog in him
[ Edited by lamontb on Dec 2, 2014 at 1:32 PM ]
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by defenderDX:

Martin got eaten ALIVE in pass protection vs. Seattle. he did kill us.

I'm not comparing the two; however, I've seen Davis and Staley suffer in the same way.

Martin is a second string tackle. If he's starting, there's going to be issues... unless the offense is able to adjust blocking techniques to adjust for the talent drop... you know like 31 other teams outside of this one.
Originally posted by wailers15:
wish they'd go get Suh but he'll break the piggy bank. yeah NT has been a constant problem, through the years. sure Dorsey filled in nicely last yr, but he was no impact player. We've lacked a true NT since B.Y,

I will say this, wtf is martin doing helping up the opposing teams player? i saw him constantly do this & he was the only o-lineman to be doing it?

Suh is a 4-3 defensive end, that wouldn't address this issue.
Originally posted by Geeked:
I'm not comparing the two; however, I've seen Davis and Staley suffer in the same way.

Martin is a second string tackle. If he's starting, there's going to be issues... unless the offense is able to adjust blocking techniques to adjust for the talent drop... you know like 31 other teams outside of this one.

Anthony Davis gets beat by the speed rush. Constantly. Martin kept getting blown up INTO Kap almost every pass play. He's terrible. His ass got eaten alive and manhandled.
Originally posted by lamontb:
That's why he wasn't a high draft pick with his size. With that said I just don't think he's a NT going forward and is playing outta of position due to injuries. But he doens't appear to have any dog in him

with that said, he still has some potential , but we probably wont see him develop a mean streak until next season ...if he does at all ...but by then we might spend a high draft pick on a NT/ DE that can hit the ground running
Share 49ersWebzone