LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 236 users in the forums

What exactly does Harbs bring to the table?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I keep seeing his supporters citing his win % and accomplishments with us and cautioning that our next hire could take us back to the days of sub .500 doormat status.

Let's go back to 2011 and review why exactly we went from 6-10 under Sing to 13-3 under Harbs.

Offense:
Harbs and Roman got a ton of credit for turning around our offense and Alex Smith's career in 2011. Except Alex had already turned his career around the previous season when he decided to play ball his way, all Harbs did was give Alex his support.
"Toward the end of that season, obviously, it wasn't looking good," Smith said. "It was the last year of my contract. I was determined - it was kind of like 'Screw this.' I'm going to just go out there and play good football. I had nothing left to worry about. I'd hit the low and I had nothing else to worry about at that point. I was going to ... let the chips fall where they may."

After the chips fell, Smith's stats rose.

In the first five games of 2010, he threw nine interceptions in 190 attempts and compiled a 71.6 rating. In his final six games, a scattered stretch interrupted by a shoulder injury and two benchings, he threw one interception in 152 attempts and posted a 95.5 rating.
http://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/Having-nothing-to-lose-liberated-Smith-3834156.php
After hitting bottom – the nationally televised loss to the Eagles when Mike Singletary berated him and a vicious crowed pleaded for David Carr to replace him – Smith says he gave up trying to please his coaches.

"Go make a play," he says he was often told. In his effort to do so, Smith often pressed and made mistakes instead.

He decided to play differently. To take what the defense offered. A dump off to a running back on 3rd-and-10? Sometimes that was the right play, if not what many viewed as making "a play."

The results were striking: After tossing nine interceptions in his first 190 attempts, he threw one pick in his final 152 passes.

After 2010, Harbaugh arrived and gave Smith's style a seal of approval.
http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2012/09/01/alex-smith-qa-just-play-quarterback-the-right-way/

How did this translate on offense? Well we actually got worse in yardage from 24th to 26th, but we jumped from 24th to 11th in pts scored. Why?

Defense:
While the offense was basically the same from 2010 to 2011, the defense made a HUGE jump from middle of the pack (16th yds, 13th pts) to legit top 5 status (4th yds, 2nd pts), where it has stayed every year since. What changed? ALMOST EVERYTHING

1. Fangio replaced Manusky
  2. Bo replaced Spikes
  3. We drafted Aldon and Ahmad became a full time starter, combining for 21 sacks. They replaced the anemic pass rush duo of Manny Lawson and Parys Haralson who combined for 6.5 sacks in 2010.
  4. Ray McDonald became a full time starter because we let Aubrayo Franklin walk and moved Sopoaga to NT.
  5. Nate Clements got cut and we got a career year out of Carlos Rogers
  6. We signed Donte Whitner to replace Reggie Smith.
  7. Shawntae Spencer was hurt so Tarell Brown became a starter
  8. We drafted Culliver, who had a very good season as the nickel corner.

In one offseason, we basically got 6.5 new starters on defense with Willis, Cowboy, Goldson, Sopoaga and Haralson (half the time) the only holdovers.

Special Teams:
This one I can't really explain except we were inexplicably good on special teams in 2011 (until the last game, unfortunately). Call it a fluke because we haven't come anywhere near close to repeating that performance in any season since.

For reference, our starting lineups from 2010 and 2011:
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sfo/lineups.htm

So, what exactly does Harbs bring to the table again? Funny quotes and gifs?
[ Edited by znk916 on Nov 28, 2014 at 1:56 PM ]
2 NFCCG and a Superbowl....in 3 years.....that's what....
Originally posted by CWin4949:

you can thank Fangio for that, and Baalke for building the defense
What role does the HC play exactly? HC doesn't really mean anything to an NFL team, right guys?
Originally posted by znk916:

Then how did we beat the Saints in 2011? I recall a Smith to VD touchdown but perhaps I'm mistaken.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
What role does the HC play exactly? HC doesn't really mean anything to an NFL team, right guys?

ive unshakeable confidence and great faith in human agency and human beings and their desire to wanna be part of a team, to wanna be part of something great, whether it's building a great cathedral, or winning a lombardi trophy
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by znk916:

Grass isn't always greener on the other side see:

Dennis Erickson
Mike Nolan
Mike Singletary

and now we have green grass in Jim Harbaugh, but it's not green enough for you, I guess you miss that 6-10, 7-9 and 8-8 type of grass.
[ Edited by Kolohe on Nov 28, 2014 at 2:05 PM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

This

All he does is win. Except super bowls
You can give Fangio credit for the defense if you want, but imagine how much confidence the defense gets every week by playing Roman's offense! You just can't give Greg enough credit for making the D feel good about themselves.

Seriously, Harbaugh brought in Fangio, Donatel, and the other D coaches except for Tomsula. He also brought an orderly, professional team to coaching and gave the players hope. He also knows a great deal about football--defense, offense and special teams. He has been able to handle some really major player problems without much public angst. Think about the player issues that have been handled largely behind closed doors--the only public aspect being league penalties and court/police issues. Dispite the press leaping all over the place he kept a lid on his staff and the players...which the players greatly appreciate.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Nov 28, 2014 at 2:19 PM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Fangio is good but you also gotta admit his defense took a huge dump in the Super bowl and NFC championship game last year.

• Jiks
I do think he has lost some of that spunk he once had. He no longer seems to be that energetic, smart assed, "whos got it better than us", freddy P. soft, "blue collar" guy. Anymore he just seems kind of drab, and I hate the word but "meek". He's not what he used to be as far as that goes.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Competition, Accountability, and Respect.
everything
he has the perfect playbook just the worst person in the world calling the plays in games. he is included in that too we need someone who isn't scared to let the players be who they are and dominate.
Originally posted by susweel:
Fangio is good but you also gotta admit his defense took a huge dump in the Super bowl and NFC championship game last year.

and the Bears game this year. He's far from perfect. Yes i know injuries. But he gets stubborn just like Harbs.
JH is clearly a genius at resurrecting a program. He would be my first choice to get a bad program back on track. There is little doubt but that he will turn Oakland around within a couple of years if he goes there.

But he does not seem to be great at being that long-term guy. Seems too wedded to a certain style, even if the talent isn't suitable for his system. Can you imagine Steve Kerr telling the Warriors to walk the ball up the court and use all of the clock before taking a shot? That is kind of what JH has done.
Share 49ersWebzone