LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 237 users in the forums

Week 13 - 2014: Thoughts after rewatching the game (2nd try)...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by crabman82:
kap is like watching vick in atlanta. eye popping some of the stuff he does but its gets boring and old never watching him progress

The thing with Vick is that he never put the time in to really improve his craft. Kap doesn't strike me that way at all.

if he is putting in tremendous work and not improving thats almost worse to me. shows he cant get better. a guy not putting in the work is a piss off, but at least you know why he isnt progressing. him taking 8-10 yard sacks because he doesnt throw the ball away after he has escaped the pocket is just the tpye of stuff i'm talking about.
Originally posted by crabman82:
kap is like watching vick in atlanta. eye popping some of the stuff he does but its gets boring and old never watching him progress

The thing with Vick is that he never put the time in to really improve his craft. Kap doesn't strike me that way at all.

Speaking of Vick, if we were to make an OC change I would love to see Marty morrinweg get his hands on kap. Besides being a really good coordinator, Vick never looked as good as a passer then the healthy season he had under Marty in 2010.
Good job Marvin, I can always count on you to bring a level head.

I agree, Kap had himself a horrible game but I totally agree that receivers just wasn't open. I totally agree that going after Sherman with Lloyd was a huge mistake.

This offseason is going to sting a bit but I'm looking forward to a much healthier & better football team next year.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
how can you guys watch that again? you are better people than me

It ain't easy, but watching it again usually helps with the distaste of it all. Also helps see things for what they are with the emotion of the moment removed.
my admiration of you and others has no bounds maybe you should watch the super bowl after that and then we can all go to the bar for depressed people
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Along with many others, I sent my frustrations to Jed York. We have to address this immediately. The season hangs in the balance right now.

Dude, it is time to embrace the horror. This season is toast. Too many teams to jump, not enough time ... and what makes you think this team can score enough to win ... against anyone? The offense is broken beyond repair for this season at least. Time to get a new system in place and hit the reset button. Maybe they can play spoiler along the way if the offence can manage to get out of its own way?
Kap: Yes he had a lousy game. He has a ton of potential but so far he has not realised it. He was able to make up for it by adding his running plays before but now most teams know how to defense the pistol and limit his runs and it is even more telling. He has trouble reading a defense and finding the open receiver. He is still making bad decisions and throwing in to coverage. He seems to focus in on 1 receiver to exclusion rather than finding the open man. It almost seemed like he was determined to beat Sherman rather than taking advantage of others who are easier to beat. Sherman had 1 pick all season because other teams knew better. Yes he is a total deusch bag but he is a great player as well. A smart QB attacks the weakest link instead of challenging the toughest. Maybe these are growing pains and maybe Kap will never learn. I hope he developes but it is a shame we have a championship caliber team having to suffer from the growing pains.

Gameplan: Sucked. This has been a longterm problem. Our offensive philosophy sucks. We don't utilize our backs much in the passing game. Gore is a great receiver. LMJ might have been worthwhile if we threw him the ball some. We don't seem to have a "hot" receiver facing blitzes. We seldom throw to a checkdown. We almost never throw a screen pass. Other teams get open receivers by design but we throw a lot of hooks in to tight coverage.

OC: Sucked. Can we get rid of him. If Harbaugh won't let Roman go it is because Roman does exactly what Harbaugh wants him to do and that would make Harbaugh expendable. We need a knew OC and a more diverse passing attack. We rarely see a receiver running open or use our backs. You can be a run 1st team but when you do pass you must have a better scheme.

Defense: Played great. Yes there were dissapointments but remember we started our 3rd string NT, our best CB was out and 2 HOF caliber ILB's were out as well. Borland is a nice rookie but Bowman and Willis were missed out there. That they could hold the seachickens to 19 points when our offense did absolutely nothing all game long, turned the ball over and they had great field position all game with all our injuries is a great effort.

TE/Vernon Davis: He took the game off. So what's new. He's taken the whole season off. I don't know if he is injured or pissed he didn't get a new contract or what but he isn't the same player.

Snakebit: This whole season we have been snakebit. We started the season waiting to get players back (Navarro and Aldon) and just kept losing more and more players. We have had bad luck with the refs all season long. They make mistakes. In a good year it evens out or you get an advantage. All year long we have gotten the short end of the stick. How do you miss a facemask on Kap? The most watched player on the field is the QB. How many sacks have we lost this season because we breathed wrong on the QB while sacking him? They yank our QB down by facemask and no flag? That coudld have been a TD drive. We should have had 1st and ten in the redzone and instead had 2nd and 16. We had a punt inside their 10 flagged and they ended up on the 40 because we had an illegal man downfield. They muff a punt snap and get the punt off. 99% of the time if the ball is not punted on time a man is illegally downfield. No ref see's the obvious that should have been expected? My immediate reaction was where is the flag? They didn't show it but I knew it had to have taken place. The punt took way too much time to get off. Sure enough a few minutes later they showed a replay of it. That's a free turnover the refs gave the seachickens. We should have had the ball in great field position, instead they get a free turnover on our 40. Snakebit. They fumble twice, muff a punt snap, have a ball tipped upward near the goal line and get no turnovers but we get 1 from the refs? Snakebit. I pray we get rid of all the bad luck out of the way this season.
Last night was thoroughly depressing . I told myself I had a problem. I care about a team too much. Can't be this down over a game. After some separation, I am almost happy this happened... If we had to lose I'm glad it was this painful for everyone involved. We need a change, and after that DISASTER, its going to be streamlined.

No more "we almost beat Seattle so everything is fine" or "Our O showed up for this game"... NOPE. Now we definitively KNOW. When your GM's daughter is calling for the OC's head, sh*t hit the fan...

I love Harbaugh, but after last night, w/e happens happens... I trust Trent Baalke Completely... So.. I'm excited for the shake-up, Lets make this team better
Agree on all your points as usual Marvin. Extra props for rewatching this game- I can't even bring myself around to ESPN and NFL Network for at least a week.

Except I've lost all hope for this season. This offense is definitively defunct. I've given up the belief that something will quickly snap it together. RIP 2014-2015 season.
[ Edited by judodono on Nov 28, 2014 at 11:13 AM ]
  • Jiks
Sorry Marvin, i 100% respect your post, but time and time again you shield Kaep from any real blame. Time and time again, he has come out and laid an egg and if it wasn't for defensive play we should have lost. Even on this you turned it into that argument in which I think people have a right to bring up, instead of really dissecting his play. While I think the conversation is pointless at this point, I think people have a good reason to say that. He is winning games, he may have laid an egg himself, but he has always been able to beat the most important teams in Seattle and Arizona.

He's staring down his targets and throwing directly at Sherman(more than just one game). He's not scoring points on a consistent basis all year. He can't do anything in the redzone. He has one TD in the 4th quarter this entire season, albeit rushing.

I respectively think you need to look at Kaeps game with a little less bias, but I could be wrong.

Edit: I'm not sitting here saying he is the only problem, and he needs to go. All I'm saying is that he is an equal PART of the problem.
[ Edited by JiksJuicy on Nov 28, 2014 at 11:14 AM ]
Can't begin to imagine what that game at Century Link is going to look like!
Better stock the beer fridge full and then some

Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Sorry Marvin, i 100% respect your post, but time and time again you shield Kaep from any real blame. Time and time again, he has come out and laid an egg and if it wasn't for defensive play we should have lost. Even on this you turned it into that argument in which I think people have a right to bring up, instead of really dissecting his play. While I think the conversation is pointless at this point, I think people have a good reason to say that. He is winning games, he may have laid an egg himself, but he has always been able to beat the most important teams in Seattle and Arizona.

He's staring down his targets and throwing directly at Sherman(more than just one game). He's not scoring points on a consistent basis all year. He can't do anything in the redzone. He has one TD in the 4th quarter this entire season, albeit rushing.

I respectively think you need to look at Kaeps game with a little less bias, but I could be wrong.

Edit: I'm not sitting here saying he is the only problem, and he needs to go. All I'm saying is that he is an equal PART of the problem.

See...I don't understand why peeps think I'm saying he's not part of the problem. I said as much in my post. I said he played horribly.

At what point did I "shield" him from anything?

All I'm sayin' is I'm not about to put his head on a spike. THAT's "shielding" someone?

If so, guilty as charged.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Nov 28, 2014 at 11:31 AM ]
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
The offense has always started with Gore and play action passing. Gore has lost a step and doesn't have the burst to get to a hole before it closes. This really limits the innovative run game that Roman is known for. Add to this that our receivers cannot consistently beat man coverage and you get what happened last night. The issue so much isn't the scheme itself but the run game isn't what it used to be and that limits play calling and all other options. Every team has a down year and this is ours.
Seattle knows exactly what we're going to do. They simply have our number and we play right into their hands. Even our D..that Wilson roll right, and away from Aldon, dump off to Luke WilLson for chunks of yards was infuriating. Over and over they had that for the taking. I understand having Willis and/or Bowman would help in that regard but still. How the hell does that happen over and over. And over.
Originally posted by Nalo9er:
Seattle knows exactly what we're going to do. They simply have our number and we play right into their hands. Even our D..that Wilson roll right, and away from Aldon, dump off to Luke WilLson for chunks of yards was infuriating. Over and over they had that for the taking. I understand having Willis and/or Bowman would help in that regard but still. How the hell does that happen over and over. And over.

There's a reason they continually pick up the players cut from the roster....
Originally posted by Jcool:
If Roman is fired, it means Harbaugh is gone. I HATE that is has to be that way. Harbaugh is such a good coach, I just don't understand why he can't just see that Roman isn't getting the job done and we have to upgrade that staff position.

The matchups were idiotic. It should've been Stevie on Sherman, Crabtree on the other end, and Boldin dominating the slot. The 49ers should've ran clear-out routes most of the game to pull defenders deep and then utilize passes to the backs and tight ends the way the Chiefs did to beat Seattle. We simply had a horrific gameplan and awful, predictable play calling.

If we get rid of Roman, we have a chance at the playoffs. If we don't, we will not make it. Period.

So you think Geep Chryst calling plays magically fixes all our offensive issues?

Originally posted by Jcool:
Can we stop with the Ravens talk. Everyone always brings them up as the reason you chance the coordinator. Yes it worked for the Ravens. But for every Ravens there are 15 teams it didn't work for. Sure it could work and fix things but the more likely outcome is nothing changes if we fire Roman.

You're right. We should just continue onward into failure and stay the course with what is not working, neverminding that Roman is gone at the end of the season regardless. That just doesn't make sense.

Having Geep Chryst -- or Harbaugh himself -- call the plays would do exactly what I said: give us "a chance". We've seen what we'll get with Roman. We know by now we won't get it done with him. Having a new, fresh perspective out there could change that. COULD.. change that. With Roman doing so poorly to the point where he's run himself out of town after the season already, there's no point delaying the inevitable when you have an opportunity to salvage the season by making a switch.

Keywords: "Could" and "Opportunity"

Replace what you KNOW will not work, with something that MIGHT work, because doing NOTHING only ensures failure. If you try SOMEthing, then at least you TRIED to give your team a shot at obtaining its ultimate goal. It would be like a crumbling business that is hemorrhaging money -- KNOWING what the problem is -- refusing to fix it until the end of the fiscal year. That would be utter stupidity, and right now it would be utter stupidity to let Roman continue to run this offense.

To sum up.........what is the definition of insanity, Zoners? Doing the same things over and over again and expecting a different result.
Share 49ersWebzone