LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 231 users in the forums

Who do we replace Roman with?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Would Baylor's OC Philip Montgomery's offense work in the NFL?
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
Jesus F Christ. Lets change coordinators when we dont have the players to support that scheme. There are no current decent coordinators that could do any better based on the way this team was built. We are a run first and play action team. We need a running game with a back with a quick first step that can hit the hole before it closes. Gore is not that back anymore.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Banjo man or the janitor for all I care.

It's gonna get passed down from Harbaugh anyhow. Harbs, by all means, is not an offensive guru... he needs to just be a head coach and find himself a REAL OC with a REAL play book.

Harbs needs to scrap the comic / coloring book that he and Roman sketched up while eating pizza and Twinkies one fine, sunny day. That crap might work against San Jose St. Spartans if they catch them on a short week (THAT"S A BIG IF)!!!!

I still might take the Spartans with the points!
Ron Burgundy
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
For interim OC I'd have to say Rathman or Geep Chryst.
At this point even Jeff Hostler would be an upgrade.

That display last night must have had BW rolling over in his grave. That debacle set the offense back 10 years. I thought I was watching Ken Dorsey or Steve Stenstrom at QB
probably has to be Geep because it's pretty clear the passing offense is holding back the run offense, not the other way around

or Harbs himself, see if he can save his own damn job
Don't get it, It is not just firing OC, it is firing the head coach and the OC because he does not have a clue that Roman is an Idiot which means he is too. His brother fired his OC in the middle of the season and, he was a family friend and they went on to win the SB. If I was head coach and my team was looking dysfunctional. there would be a shake up but, he stands there and co-signs the stupid play calling. Harbaugh needs to go and take Roman with him and let the new head coach bring in his people. ,This guy can not take us any further...obviously, he does not know how to call plays and teach our quarterback....that is why he also is a victim of poor coaching and they are ruining his psyche. The quarterback coach is an Idiot too.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
This. Three guys can have three completely different levels of success with the same playbook. Its not Roman's playbook that is the issue as much as his general inability to call NFL quality offense consistently.

Not only that but it's also the OCs job to put the players in the positions that he feels they will succeed. He's done a horrendous job of that since he's been here.

He reduced Frank Gore to a Power runner who is rarely used out of the backfield in the passing game despite a history of success
He tried to make Braylon Edwards a slot receiver, when that didn't work he tried to turn him into an outside deep threat.
He did absolutely nothing with LaMichael James that he had success in at Oregon.
He has Michael Crabtree running intermediate routes almost 85% of the time even though his strength has always been as a Short Yardage Grappler.
He did the same thing with Josh Morgan.
He pretty much buried the "Vernon Davis Seam Route" that made VD the player he is today.
He has no clue how to use Stevie Johnson
He think Brandon Lloyd is Randy Moss of 2000.
He didn't even use Randy Moss of 2012 correctly LOL
Vance McDonald should have been worked in the passing game by now. I don't buy the argument that he can't catch in the NFL....it's hard to catch in the NFL when you're not being given consistent or fair opportunity.

This is just off the top of my head
[ Edited by SaksV on Nov 28, 2014 at 1:27 PM ]
Why hasn't Jed fired him already? What is he waiting for? The Raiders know how to beat us at this point.

Jim Harbaugh
Originally posted by nj9er:
Shannahan. He made Cousins and RGIII look like starters in this league and I could run for over 100 yards behind his zone blocking scheme. Doubt he'd take a OC job though.

I live out here in Colorado, and bumped into Mike Shanahan at his resturaunt, just 3weeks ago. I told him to come run the Niners offense. He said "Sure if I'm going to be head coach! Right now I have to much pride to be just an OC right now".
Simple, fire Roman and let Harbaugh call the plays. Jim was a quality QB for a long time at the College and Pro level. He knows the game and could jump start the offense and MAYBE just MAYBE we could run the tables and sneak into the playoffs. From there anything can happen. This will give us time to find a real OC, and we don't run the risk of tanking this season trying ti install a new offense. Let's not forget that Roman was a quaterbacks coach with the Texans during the David Carr era............
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
We don't need a new playbook we need a new play caller. That is what people are not understanding.

The playbook is fine, the person calling the plays is the problem. Teams know HIS TENDENCIES and they know what HE IS GOING TO DO

that's why we're struggling.

agree with you 100%. Roman is actually really good at designing formation and plays but he has no ability in playcalling, situational football, or any awareness of getting the ball into the playmakers hands. TBH i think if harbaugh wants to keep his job he should start calling the plays. Its his team and he should be the one to save it. If not harbaugh then i think the only reasonable choice is Jeep. John Harbaugh was smart enough to fire his OC in the middle of the season and he ended up winning the superbowl that year. We need to do the same NOW! we still can make it to the playoffs if we win the rest of our games.

For next year i would like Shanahan
Scott Frost Oregon's OC
Share 49ersWebzone