LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 304 users in the forums

Who do we replace Roman with?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I doubt if Roman is fired they would bring in an OC from outside the organization. I would expect one of the current offensive coaches to be promoted as interim OC.

Personally I'd like to see Rathman get the opportunity. Then we would be able to know if the problem was mostly Roman or if it's Harbaugh.
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
We don't need a new playbook we need a new play caller. That is what people are not understanding.

The playbook is fine, the person calling the plays is the problem. Teams know HIS TENDENCIES and they know what HE IS GOING TO DO

that's why we're struggling.

Agree. Roman makes it way to easy for defenses every week
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
Since only four games left and there's still a chance to make the playoffs, I'd wait until after this season to find a permanent OC (I like Norv Turner if they could get him from the Browns). In the meantime, if Roman is let go now I think Harbaugh should take over more of the play-calling responsibilities for the remainder of this season and work with Chryst for ideas to make the necessary adjustments to this scheme for the short term. Trying to do too much of an overhaul to it this late in the season and with the playoffs still within reach could have a complete adverse effect and be very disruptive.

What exactly is there to disrupt? Do you seriously think that this team, with the current state of the offense is going to win more than 2 of the remaining games? Do you see them going into Seattle and pulling off a W with the same offense, or playing the Chargers or the Cards???

I see it as a no-loss proposition.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Nov 28, 2014 at 10:27 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
This. Three guys can have three completely different levels of success with the same playbook. Its not Roman's playbook that is the issue as much as his general inability to call NFL quality offense consistently.

I totally agree with this. Our biggest problem is we try to be all things. We should be wearing out the powerO and the spider y banana off of the powerO. These plays should be our staple plays much like flanker drive and spot were in the dynasty days. Hell we should be running spider 5-6 times a game. For one kap is very comfortable out of the pocket and two, this is a play that generally has a high rate of completion.

We just don't have a core of staple plays that are givens.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Nov 28, 2014 at 10:28 AM ]
I agree, trog, and then look for an OC to be our HC. Then get an OC also, but if he is no good the HC (who is also an OC) can call plays,. But for now, to see if we can stay in the race, promote Rathman. As for morningwegh and trestman, guys we have seen them up close and personal, and they are about as good as roman. So no on both. Peterson who went from Boise state to Washington, would be an interesting choice for OC/HC and then get an OC also...maybe keep rath if he does well this yr when roman is schidtcanned.
What exactly is there to disrupt? Do you seriously think that this team, with the current state of the offense is going to win more than 2 of the remaining games? Do you see them going into Seattle and pulling off a W with the same offense, or playing the Chargers or the Cards???

I see it as a no-loss proposition.

I think we're talking about the same thing - you and another poster mention above the playbook being fine but not the playcaller (Roman). That's what I'm saying in a different way - you can't bring in a brand new playbook with a new OC at this point in the season when the team does have a chance to make the playoffs (which I feel they do until they're out - too much talent on this team in my opinion). You have to make the necessary adjustments to the existing playcalling (and Roman out?) from the current playbook in the games ahead as this is the playbook the team has been practicing and knows for the past four years. If Roman is fired now, I think you just have to let Harbaugh and/or Chryst take over the playcalling and then find a permanent OC in the offseason who might/might not install a new scheme.
[ Edited by LottDMontanaO on Nov 28, 2014 at 10:48 AM ]
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
We don't need a new playbook we need a new play caller. That is what people are not understanding.

The playbook is fine, the person calling the plays is the problem. Teams know HIS TENDENCIES and they know what HE IS GOING TO DO

that's why we're struggling.

This. Three guys can have three completely different levels of success with the same playbook. Its not Roman's playbook that is the issue as much as his general inability to call NFL quality offense consistently.
That's it.
He could not call up 3 plays to get a touchdown in the super bowl. Not the offense couldn't do it HE couldn't
HE can't call a consistent rhythm game for 4 quarters. He can't even do it from series to series. HE is the problem. KEEP the playbook and get rid of HIM.
put him in the back let him design plays let someone else who understands football get the offense into a rhythm
Originally posted by Niners816:

I totally agree with this. Our biggest problem is we try to be all things. We should be wearing out the powerO and the spider y banana off of the powerO. These plays should be our staple plays much like flanker drive and spot were in the dynasty days. Hell we should be running spider 5-6 times a game. For one kap is very comfortable out of the pocket and two, this is a play that generally has a high rate of completion.

We just don't have a core of staple plays that are givens.

you can go to any game this season. for everything that was working, we stopped doing it to move on to something else.
every single game something has worked
last night the roll out passing misdirection worked 2 times, wide open vd and boldin hyde with the read option was working
so
we don't do those things ever again.
this is why he is the problem.
even a 5 year old would say ill keep doing this because its working
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
I agree, trog, and then look for an OC to be our HC. Then get an OC also, but if he is no good the HC (who is also an OC) can call plays,. But for now, to see if we can stay in the race, promote Rathman. As for morningwegh and trestman, guys we have seen them up close and personal, and they are about as good as roman. So no on both. Peterson who went from Boise state to Washington, would be an interesting choice for OC/HC and then get an OC also...maybe keep rath if he does well this yr when roman is schidtcanned.

I think you are underestimating morrnhieg as far as a coordinator. In his 15 years as an OC he has had the following:

Overall offense
7 top 10 finishes
Of those
5 top 5 finishes
Of those
2 top overall finishes

Rush offense
8 top 10 finishes
Of those
5 top 5 finishes
Of those
2 top overall finishes

Pass offense
7 top 10 finishes
Of those
3 top 5 finishes

Scoring offense
8 top 10 finishes
4 top 5 finishes

Marty gets a bad rep for his coaching in Detroit , but I love his flavor of WCO that combines the best of holmgren and Reid. Also, he had great success with Vick in 2010, so he can deal with running QBs.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Nov 28, 2014 at 10:50 AM ]
Just bring anyone competent enough in immediately and then let Harbaugh kind of oversee the whole operation and call the plays if he has to.

Originally posted by Niners816:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

I think you are underestimating morrnhieg as far as a coordinator. In his 15 years as an OC he has had the following:

Overall offense
7 top 10 finishes
5 top 5 finishes
2 top overall finishes

Rush offense
8 top 10 finishes
5 top 5 finishes
2 top overall finishes

Pass offense
7 top 10 finishes
3 top 5 finishes

Scoring offense
8 top 10 finishes
4 top 5 finishes

Marty gets a bad rep for his coaching in Detroit , but I love his flavor of WCO that combines the best of holmgren and Reid. Also, he had great success with Vick in 2010, so he can deal with running QBs.

This. Marty is the guy. And he will be firmly entrenched as an OC because I doubt anyone will give him a head coaching shot. Now all we have to do is hope Harbaugh fires Roman and Rex is canned in New York.
  • nj9er
  • Veteran
Shannahan. He made Cousins and RGIII look like starters in this league and I could run for over 100 yards behind his zone blocking scheme. Doubt he'd take a OC job though.
My guess is if they fire Roman before the end of the season, then Geep Chryst would get the nod. If they wait until after the season, I think they look at the Packers or Eagles coaching staffs for someone.

On a separate item, the 49ers have a "Director of Elite Performance" who is Fergus Connolly. I'm not sure what that job entails, but there hasn't been much "elite" anything so maybe he should go as well.
Originally posted by 49erfaninPA:
My guess is if they fire Roman before the end of the season, then Geep Chryst would get the nod. If they wait until after the season, I think they look at the Packers or Eagles coaching staffs for someone.

On a separate item, the 49ers have a "Director of Elite Performance" who is Fergus Connolly. I'm not sure what that job entails, but there hasn't been much "elite" anything so maybe he should go as well.

This - Chryst and Harbaugh calling the plays for the remainder of this season and see if they can get three (or four?) more wins to give the team a shot at the playoffs. Right now, three or four more wins does seem like a stretch, especially after last night. Yet with the talent on this team, who knows. Then, when the season is over, try to hire Norv Turner away from the Browns (maybe he'd like to come back to the Bay Area - he's from Martinez) as he's great in an OC role - did well with the Niners his first time around and this year look at the Browns...7-4 and their running and passing games are both in the Top 12 statistically (without Josh Gordon playing).
  • buck
  • Veteran
Has anyone in this forum ever seen the 49ers playbook?

If we have not seen the playbook, how exactly can we determine if that playbook should be or should not be kept.

I would seriously consider firing Roman at this point under one condition, and only if that one condition were met. .

That condition would be:

Jim Harbaugh, by himself, must serve as the OC for the remainder of the season.

[ Edited by buck on Nov 28, 2014 at 11:15 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone