LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 255 users in the forums

QB Options For Next Year

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Phil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Injuredlife:
Start Winston GAME 1 in 2015. Jameis is a superior Quarterback today, than the guy starting for us.

Heck no. Na na na. Kap is a mid range NFL starter. That's hard to find. But at the same time that doesn't mean he shouldn't have hard core competition. Kap had his contract year, with Gabbert. OK. Now he deserves a HUGE fire under his ass. As does Jim, 2015 is going to be ALL ON THE OFFENSE again. Our D is beast savage ,the only high point of this lost season. 3 games of which Kap has handed away with s**tty play.
[ Edited by Phil on Nov 28, 2014 at 1:37 AM ]
Originally posted by znk916:
Eli makes sense only if he is cut, because his cap hit is too big for us to trade for him.

I don't think that's accurate.

Kawakami wrote:

"I hoped and assumed that Kaepernick knew that he was accepting a below-market deal (in guaranteed money) and that by taking a "pay-as-you-go" deal, he was giving the 49ers the right to cut out of the contract every year after this one."

And:

"There is some annual risk for Kaepernick, starting next April. The 49ers aren't likely to cut him any time soon… but this deal gives them the right to."Well good."

But I could be wrong.
Originally posted by tondiman:
RGIII

Poor man's Kaepernick. Rich man's Geno Smith.
It's like yall just erased the memory of Eli throwing 5 picks against us.

There is nothing wrong with wanting competition at QB...If anything it would push Kap and provide for us to have a legit backup QB.

I really don't know who would make sense though...I'd still keep Josh Johnson around to compete for a roster spot...These other QBS I'm not too sure about.

Jay Cutler is more of a gunslinger than Kap...and i don't know what in the hell goes through the mind of Eli sometimes.
Originally posted by Injuredlife:
Start Winston GAME 1 in 2015. Jameis is a superior Quarterback today, than the guy starting for us.

I'd prefer a QB who has a little more between the ears.

...as long as he doesn't have a noodle arm like Alex Smith.
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
I don't think that's accurate.

Kawakami wrote:

"I hoped and assumed that Kaepernick knew that he was accepting a below-market deal (in guaranteed money) and that by taking a "pay-as-you-go" deal, he was giving the 49ers the right to cut out of the contract every year after this one."

And:

"There is some annual risk for Kaepernick, starting next April. The 49ers aren't likely to cut him any time soon… but this deal gives them the right to."Well good."

But I could be wrong.

I was talking about Eli's cap hit, the last yr of his contract has almost $20m base salary.

As for Kap:
The relatively modest signing bonus, particularly for such a lucrative contract, and the conditional guarantees allow the 49ers to part ways with Kaepernick at anytime without adverse cap consequences. Although hard to imagine, a little more than $5.4 million of cap room would be gained in 2015 by releasing Kaepernick before his $10.4 million base salary (assumes salary de-escalation) becomes fully guaranteed on April 1. The 49ers would have a $9,863,013 cap charge from signing bonus proration in Kaepernick's 2016 through 2019 contract years accelerating onto the 2015 cap.

The 49ers have the second most 2015 cap obligations in the NFL at $145.35 million after Kaepernick's deal. Assuming a similar cap increase as this year (8.13 percent), the 2015 cap will be right around $144 million. San Francisco's cap obligations will drop by $2 million if the de-escalation occurs. The 49ers have built additional cap flexibility into Kaepernick's contract because they can create cap room at any time during the deal with their discretionary right to convert a portion of his base salary into signing bonus. Kaepernick could create a maximum of $9.324 million in cap space by restructuring his contract next year (assuming he extinguished the de-escalator mechanism because of his 2014 performance).
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24581491/agents-take-what-kaepernicks-big-deal-means-for-49ers-cap-situation
Originally posted by Afrikan:
It's like yall just erased the memory of Eli throwing 5 picks against us.

There is nothing wrong with wanting competition at QB...If anything it would push Kap and provide for us to have a legit backup QB.

I really don't know who would make sense though...I'd still keep Josh Johnson around to compete for a roster spot...These other QBS I'm not too sure about.

Jay Cutler is more of a gunslinger than Kap...and i don't know what in the hell goes through the mind of Eli sometimes.

Here's what your analysis is missing: Eli and Cutler can at least read a defense and go through their progressions. They know how to play the QB position. They don't rely on gimmicky bull s**t that defenses figure out after a while. They are FAR better QBs than Kaepernick. It's not even close.
Nope cutlets ability sucks. He has Marshall a d Jeffery and Bennett and forte and still sucks throws too many ints. Any qb behind center like mccown last year looks better than cutler. Sorry but you are wrong.

Eli is also a turnover machine as we all know. He needed a great d and running game and great wrs then he won sbs. Put kap on either offense and I guarantee you be does better
Can we go back and draft Aaron Rodgers like we should have.
I stopped reading at Eli...

• Kuya
  • Veteran
Trade Kaep and Ahmad Brooks for Matt Ryan
Originally posted by rorrim:
I stopped reading at Eli...

You mean the guy who won 2 Super Bowls with far less non-QB talent than the 49ers currently have?
[ Edited by NinerSickness on Nov 28, 2014 at 2:49 AM ]
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Hoyer or Manziel?
Originally posted by obx49:
Hoyer or Manziel?

The amount of butthurt coming from your posts is off the charts. You want a 3rd rounder for Kap, and to replace him with Johnny Manziel? LOL

Why dont you run along and find a new favorite team.
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by obx49:
Hoyer or Manziel?

The amount of butthurt coming from your posts is off the charts. You want a 3rd rounder for Kap, and to replace him with Johnny Manziel? LOL

Why dont you run along and find a new favorite team.

Have you seen our offense this season, lol. Kaep barely had a 100 f**king yards last night and you're proud of that? Sorry your homerism has blinded you. I would take Jamarcus freaking Russell over Kaep right now.
Share 49ersWebzone