LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 302 users in the forums

Thank you, Defense...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Thank you Vic and the defense players. What was thought to be the weakness of the team due to injuries this year has turned out to be the strength. Amazing coaching. Vic for HC and bring in a competent WC OC please.
Only group that's exciting to watch. Love our D!!
You must have missed Seattle's back up running backs running wide open to the flats all game. The defense wasn't great either. I realize they were on the field way too much but they couldn't get off the field either. They only gave up 19 points but all of Seattle's scoring drives used up to half a quarter and just nickel and dimed us to death. Seattle used ball control offense against us. Our inside linebackers were a liability last night and it was painfully obvious that the defense is almost as inept against seattle as the offense. They just take a little longer to cave than the offense.
Sorry guys. Save it for next season
Originally posted by NinerG94:
You must have missed Seattle's back up running backs running wide open to the flats all game. The defense wasn't great either. I realize they were on the field way too much but they couldn't get off the field either. They only gave up 19 points but all of Seattle's scoring drives used up to half a quarter and just nickel and dimed us to death. Seattle used ball control offense against us. Our inside linebackers were a liability last night and it was painfully obvious that the defense is almost as inept against seattle as the offense. They just take a little longer to cave than the offense.

It's easy to say that when they were on the field 75% of the time. If they got just a little support from the offense (i.e. not going three and out, no interceptions/no fumble on the punt return setting up short fields) this would have been a much different game.

The defense is going to get gassed and burned when the offense is as bad as its been - the last two games masked this as New York and Washington are terrible.

I don't blame the defense for this loss at all, our consistently awful offense and play calling are giving them no reprieve.
The thing that makes me want to punch a hole through my wall most when watching any seahawks game really, but especially against the Niners is how all our pass rushers can collapse the pocket and seem to have a sure-sack on Wilson but nooooooo every mother***kin time he is able to do that duck-spin move and run away and extend the play by 5 or 6 more seconds and I would have to say at least about 80% of the time on these type of plays, seattle ends up getting a big pass play out of it. Before tonight's game that's what I was most wary of, and sure enough it happened at least 2 or 3 times. And 1 of those plays, the defense was nowhere to be found whatsoever when that slow tight end ran the ball all the way to the 1. Wtf was up with that? Not one DB anywhere NEAR the guy
Originally posted by SFGiant49ers:
The thing that makes me want to punch a hole through my wall most when watching any seahawks game really, but especially against the Niners is how all our pass rushers can collapse the pocket and seem to have a sure-sack on Wilson but nooooooo every mother***kin time he is able to do that duck-spin move and run away and extend the play by 5 or 6 more seconds and I would have to say at least about 80% of the time on these type of plays, seattle ends up getting a big pass play out of it. Before tonight's game that's what I was most wary of, and sure enough it happened at least 2 or 3 times. And 1 of those plays, the defense was nowhere to be found whatsoever when that slow tight end ran the ball all the way to the 1. Wtf was up with that? Not one DB anywhere NEAR the guy

So much this, so aggravating to watch.
Thought our defense did great considering how many starters we are missing. I mean, we only allowed one TD the entire game and their offense MVP was the kicker. The score could have been a lot worse....
THANKS Vic and your staff! You guys are first rate.

We have an excellent D and it is getting better. Lynch, Boreland, Dwyane [sp] are getting better every week.

BUTTTT our offense is so putrid, so pathetic that our D is worked to the bone.

Does anyone really think JH/Roman will be back next season??

I don't.
Defense was tired, they were on the field 75% of the time. I saw WIDE open receivers for the hawks where there wasn't a Niner defender anywhere near him. Especially on some 3rd down plays where Wilson should have been sacked, he connected for lengthy first downs.

The truth about the Seattle game is:

The game was like the Super Bowl. The Seahawks defense is incredibly legit when fully healthy... And those who are trying to blame kaepernick need to realize there was no one open 90% of the offensive plays and there was constant pressure and hits due to the great coverage. Now did kaep miss some throws? Yes. Did Manning (perhaps the greatest QB of all time) miss some throws in similar circumstances in the SB? Yes. Would Brady, Rodgers, Luck, (Alex Smith seriously lol) ... Etc struggle against that defense the way it played yesterday? Yes. They have a great defense. That, when healthy,can make any offense in the league look stagnate.

I'm not saying our offense or QB is great... What I am saying is that even great offenses and QB's would struggle against that D right now.

What separates our team right now from last years I believe is actually our D I believe... Great D's can shut down any body and force turnovers and have splash plays that swing momentum even against elite offenses... Our team had this the last few years we forced turnovers against even great teams often even in the playoffs. This gives us good field position and momentum. When p willy and bowman are in we have a borderline great defense. Without them (even with Borland and Lynch) we have a very good but not great defense that bends but doesn't break ( lots of field goals with the occasional TD) and no splash plays against good teams. Splash plays are the momentum changers and without them you will not score or have success against other great defenses as Seattle is right now. The reason we were the only (and I do mean only) team that could hang with Seattle last year was because our defense was comparably great with theirs creating splash plays similar to theirs that gave us momentum and good field position. Now that our defense is merely very good when we face there team that is healthy and still great defensively, We are going to struggle greatly to hang with them.

I am not blaming the defense they have performed about as well as anyone could have expected given the scenario but I do believe this above to be the truth.
49ers simply look intimidated by seattle. It's as if they look up to seattle as a bully in school or something and they just kinda wanna stay outta their way. The defense put up a decent effort last night, which may have been good enough if the offense was able to do anything at all. But it just looked to me like the Niners were intimidated right from the opening kick. It was visibly obvious to me that seattle came out hitting, and hitting hard right away. And as usual, we had players get shaken up or even knocked out of the game for a period of time. In years past, the Niners could compete with the hard hitting of the hawks but yesterday looked like they had no shot. Every time one of our receivers and especially Vernon Davis even touches the ball, I always expect them to get lit up. Chancellor pretty much owns VD I believe....I dunno, but something needs to change otherwise the Niners will be looking up to seattle for years to come
Share 49ersWebzone