LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 297 users in the forums

Who deserves the most blame for this weak offense?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who deserves the most blame for this weak offense?

Originally posted by the_dynasty:
coaching, first and foremost.

roman/harbaugh are coaches, obviously
kap is harbaugh's draft pick and hand-picked by him over incumbent qb

we shouldnt be doing as badly as we're doing with this offense, its stacked with talent. the chiefs who have far worse offense in all aspects besides RB and RT (and this year, better TE) won their game against seattle, and looked much better.

Maybe we're kidding ourselves. Ask yourself an honest question. Are the wide receivers really that good. What if we had Odell Beckham in the draft. But then again, in this horrible Greg Roman offense, could a Odell Beckham flourish?
Kaep for not making plays, for not getting first downs, for not throwing to open receivers, for not being a leader, for making bad decisions, for throwing towards Richard Sherman, for all of his under throws, overthrows, throws behind his receivers, for not going through his progressions, for locking in to one receiver and staring him down, for not scrambling more

But Roman deserves more blame. Blame for not playing to Kaep's strengths, for not calling more read-option plays, for not sticking to the run game, for not getting VD involved, for the vanilla schemes, for not getting creative in his alignments, for not having an identity, for not having a go-to play, for not having the ability to make changes to the game plan mid game, for getting shut out in the second half of games all season, for only scoring 2 TDs all year in the 4th quarter, for not exploiting mismatches, for not being able to adjust to the opponents game plan, and generally, for not scoring enough points.

And don't get me started on Baalke. The biggest singular setback to this team was the 2012 draft class. The best player we gained from that entire debacle was Tony Jerod-Eddie, and he was a UFA. He whiffed on that entire class, and it has bitten us in the ......
This offense is like a car with all these high performance parts that, om paper, should be a screaming demon. But in reality, it's big and cumbersome and all the high performance parts can't make it go fast. Roman's play design and offensive philosophy is just like that car cumbersome and unable to do what it was intended to do. He keep's trying to modify it so that it will do what he was hoping for but it's still the same old thing. He's built a straight ahead racer and he's trying to win at Sears Point.
The puncher is getting beat by the boxer, again and again.....

It's time for a change
Is Harbs fault he is the man in charge. I like him but if he don't want to get more creative time for him to go
Roman... who the hell calls a deep pass into the endzone to a FB against Kam Chancellor...granted it shouldve never been thrown but why is that even in the playbook?
Our scheme offensively is offensive. Teams have totally figured it out, not just seattle.

Our problem is the Harbaugh/Roman marriage.

Keap was born to run that stretch zone read scheme like seattle runs.

Put Wilson in our offense and he would suck too.

We are a running first team that can't run.

Our OL is so poor at pass blocking that we never get to see kaep's strengths.
Not sure how it can be anything but Harbaugh. This is Harbaugh's offense, Roman may be calling the plays but he's calling what Harbaugh approves of otherwise he'd have been gone awhile ago. The struggles in the redone, the issues with the play clock, the situational errors, all this stuff didn't just start, it has been going on since pretty much the very beginning and hasnt improved much, if at all. This team has way too much offensive talent for these issues to be still be going on.

I don't know if the players ever buy into this offense anymore. I feel like its the main source of any tension between Harbaugh and Baalke. There is nothing modern about this passing offense and the situational playcalling leaves a lot to be desired. The buck however stops with Harbaugh, Roman is his OC, Kaepernick is his hand-picked quarterback.
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Kaep for not making plays, for not getting first downs, for not throwing to open receivers, for not being a leader, for making bad decisions, for throwing towards Richard Sherman, for all of his under throws, overthrows, throws behind his receivers, for not going through his progressions, for locking in to one receiver and staring him down, for not scrambling more

But Roman deserves more blame. Blame for not playing to Kaep's strengths, for not calling more read-option plays, for not sticking to the run game, for not getting VD involved, for the vanilla schemes, for not getting creative in his alignments, for not having an identity, for not having a go-to play, for not having the ability to make changes to the game plan mid game, for getting shut out in the second half of games all season, for only scoring 2 TDs all year in the 4th quarter, for not exploiting mismatches, for not being able to adjust to the opponents game plan, and generally, for not scoring enough points.

And don't get me started on Baalke. The biggest singular setback to this team was the 2012 draft class. The best player we gained from that entire debacle was Tony Jerod-Eddie, and he was a UFA. He whiffed on that entire class, and it has bitten us in the ......

I don't buy that. Every GM screws up picks, Baalke has made enough good picks and acquisitions that this team is pretty well stocked talent wise. He's made enough late round and UDFA gets that the 2012 draft, while not his finest moment, is pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

If you're arguing that a lack of talent on the offensive side is what is holding the 49ers back, then I disagree. This team is well stocked on offense and has played quite a bit below its actual talent level.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Nov 27, 2014 at 11:10 PM ]
Offense scheme/playcalling/philosophy is a shambles. It wouldn't matter if we had a game-breaking WR like Beckham or Evans. This offensive, pun intended, coaching staff wouldn't find ways to get him the ball. You can't tell me that Patton and Ellington (before getting hurt) couldn't be used on screens, reverses, quick slants, etc. to keep a defense off balance. This staff is the worst in the league in finding creative ways to get playmakers the ball.
Originally posted by bigwads:
Our scheme offensively is offensive. Teams have totally figured it out, not just seattle.

Our problem is the Harbaugh/Roman marriage.

Keap was born to run that stretch zone read scheme like seattle runs.

Put Wilson in our offense and he would suck too.

We are a running first team that can't run.

Our OL is so poor at pass blocking that we never get to see kaep's strengths.

thank you

Some idiot in another thread blamed the fans. Sorry, but I didn't miss any tackles or throw any picks tonight. Don't be blaming me.
Kaep sucks lol.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I don't buy that. Every GM screws up picks, Baalke has made enough good picks and acquisitions that this team is pretty well stocked talent wise. He's made enough late round and UDFA gets that the 2012 draft, while not his finest moment, is pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

If you're arguing that a lack of talent on the offensive side is what is holding the 49ers back, then I disagree. This team is well stocked on offense and has played quite a bit below its actual talent level.

This. This. This.
  • ethan
  • Veteran
Kaepernick isn't even in the top 20 in any starting QB category, I don't believe. He has the best overall talent in the league to work with. The offense gets dumbed down because it's all he can handle. I think he is the weakest link on the team.
Originally posted by goldlame2013:
Maybe we're kidding ourselves. Ask yourself an honest question. Are the wide receivers really that good. What if we had Odell Beckham in the draft. But then again, in this horrible Greg Roman offense, could a Odell Beckham flourish?
why do I need to ask myself a question I know the answer to ?
this WR core is a great core and Id put it at the very least top 5 in the NFC, if we consider "pass-catching" cores.

Boldin is still a great #1 WR. Stevie is pretty good, Crabs pretty good, VD has been great up until this year. Lloyd is a good option.

maybe you're kidding yourself when you think you need amazing receivers like aj green or calvin johnson in a run-first offense. look at what seattle has at WR position.

what you're right about is that a rookie WR would not progress well in this offense. in a run-heavy offense it really requires only a couple of good WRs to function. we have abundance of good WRs
Share 49ersWebzone