Washington Redskins Coaches film analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
Game Winning Drive

Play #5
1st & 10
49ers: 4 Verticals
WAS: cover3 (I think)

Kap completes his dropback and looks right. The deep middle safety who had been shaded towards the trips side, slides to the middle of the field at the snap.

Because the safety moved away from the trips side, that gave room for the throw to Boldin. The defender on Boldin has outside leverage. The throw needs to be to Boldin's inside shoulder.

Boldin just caught the ball.

+29 yard catch + 15 yard penalty

^^^that verts throw gets more impressive everytime I see it. Absolutely roped it in there. Big time throw and a big time catch by boldin. Boldin is such a tough SOB.
  • thl408
Game Winning Drive

Play #6

1st & 10
11 personnel (1rb/1te/3wr)

Inside Zone

JMart allows his defender to get past his inside shoulder. Boone allows #97 to get by him.

Hyde runs into JMart and the defender. (broken tackle #1)

Hyde evades #97 (broken tackles 2)

Hyde goes around Boone (broken tackles 2.5)

Hyde will drag orange for 4 yards.

+5 yards
Hyde should have blasted that right up the middle. He took the long way. Blocking was good considering the LDE would have never gotten to him if he took the lane.
  • thl408
Game Winning Drive

Play #7

Kap takes the shotgun snap and takes a 1 step dropback. This is the equivalent of a 3 step drop that many have wanted to see more of. There was no defender lined up over Boldin.

Since the 49ers often operate from the shotgun, this is what a 3 step dropback rhythm pass looks like.

+10
Originally posted by Joecool:
Hyde should have blasted that right up the middle. He took the long way. Blocking was good considering the LDE would have never gotten to him if he took the lane.

In that case #52 would have probably finished him off for a gain of only 4 yards.
[ Edited by zugschef on Nov 27, 2014 at 12:32 AM ]
^^^i like how on this sticks concept boldin catches it and gets right up the field. We are so lucky to have him and I still can't believe we got him for a 6th rounder.
  • thl408
Game Winning Drive

Play #8

1st & 4 (Goal)
11 personnel

Read Option? (Inside Zone)

Kap reads the unblocked defender. Boone crushes his block.

The unblocked defender slow plays the dive, so Kap hands it off to Hyde.

Hyde with a head of steam versus a safety 1 on 1.

Touchdown!

This may have been a give to Hyde all the way. Impossible to tell. Because the unblocked defender didn't crash down on the dive, the correct play is to give to Hyde - if this was a read option.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners816:
^^^that verts throw gets more impressive everytime I see it. Absolutely roped it in there. Big time throw and a big time catch by boldin. Boldin is such a tough SOB.

Quite right. Also the short completions opened up the deep passing. I think this a formula they can use from here on in. VD is still drawing double teams, and Colin took advantage of it.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Quite right. Also the short completions opened up the deep passing. I think this a formula they can use from here on in. VD is still drawing double teams, and Colin took advantage of it.

i am excited to see the game that the defense lets up coverage on VD

Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by Niners816:

I am excited to see the game the defense decides that VD isn't enough of a threat anymore to take seriously

thanks for the breakdowns guy. look forward to this thread every week
Originally posted by Giedi:Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:Originally posted by DeUh:Originally posted by znk916:Can someone explain what happened here? Vernon working on his brand.Screams soft on so many levels. Even gets up slow even though the play is not over yet.Hindsight says Vernon should have cut blocked him. I dunno, looks like he's lost confidence, strength, or the opposing player really smelled the run and knew where the play was going. Not surprising considering the 2nd string QB was Colt McColy - who knows all our audibles and plays.

I still believe that Vernon is hurt. Would not be surprised if he gets surgery after the season. Multiple posters and beat writers have pointed out that he looks very stiff in his lower body.
In this play he had poor leverage, I don't know if the contact between him and Iupati also contributed to him being pushed aside, poor leverage certainly didn't help.
[ Edited by JeuSF49 on Nov 27, 2014 at 5:41 AM ]
Originally posted by thl408:
Game Winning Drive

Play #8

1st & 4 (Goal)
11 personnel

Read Option? (Inside Zone)

Kap reads the unblocked defender. Boone crushes his block.

The unblocked defender slow plays the dive, so Kap hands it off to Hyde.

Hyde with a head of steam versus a safety 1 on 1.

Touchdown!

This may have been a give to Hyde all the way. Impossible to tell. Because the unblocked defender didn't crash down on the dive, the correct play is to give to Hyde - if this was a read option.

Look at J.Martin with the double-block there. thl...thanks so much for showing one of our weaknesses on defense...those stretch runs; if you don't get a TFL on those, they often times go for big gains. Power running backs esp. in zone blocking and stretch-run formations like these has always been one of our weaknesses on defense (that and short yardage and goal line situations where we may lack the big beef inside).

BTW: Big time Happy Thanksgiving to you all. I'm very thankful for all the wisdom brought to this board by so many and the folks behind the scenes that keep this site "home" for us!
Share 49ersWebzone