LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 128 users in the forums

Week 12 - 2014: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
calls fanbase delusional yet never blames Kap for anything

Anyways i'lll address the glaring issue from yesterdays game...

This team was losing to a horrible Redskins team late into the 4th quarter while the defense had given up only 13 points. That is a joke

The defense has held the Giants and Redskins to 23 combined points and theyre still having to bail out this horrific offense at the end of the game

I give you Exhibit A.

I say several times he was far from perfect and just about every week say he makes at least one WTF throw a game and I get "Never blames Kap for anything".

Apparently not putting all the blame on Kap equates to giving Kap a free pass. This is precisely the nonsense I'm talking about. Run game averages about 2.5 yards per carry and fumbles twice while the QB averages 8.8 yards PER ATTEMPT despite a few drops...

Kaps fault.

Sigh.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Nov 24, 2014 at 11:14 AM ]
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
With the way Washington was losing DBs left and right, and with their decent run D, we should have been passing a lot more.

But not out of 5 wide!!!! Leave a RB in there roman! Leave them guessing at least a little bit.

Very, very frustrating watching the offense in the second half. Other teams are pasting WA. We're remedial on offense. I thought Kap played well I just hate the tempo that we use. Slow, plodding, and not very effective.

Davis needs to sit a game or two.
Hyde needs more carries

Why don't we run the no huddle more? Seems like when we need to drive quickly in games we have the ability.

The one time we ran it is a sustained fashion, we moved the ball at will (the Arizona game). Not only have we not run it since, we stopped running it that game and lost. I know I don't nothing about nothing, but this one makes me scratch my head. I think it boils down to the Harbaugh philosophy or winning the time of possession and the 3 yards and a cloud of dust mentality.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jonnydel:
An interesting note that I took away from the game which made me look up some stats - how our offense performed when starting outside our own 10 yard line and within our own 10 yard line.

It should come as no shock, but, the scoring % when starting inside your own 10 is crazy low. You have about 15-18% chance of scoring when starting inside your own 10(based off of stats gathered from 2001-2010). We had 5 drives start inside our own 10 and scored a FG on one of those drives - right on par with the stats.

We had 6 drives(relevant drives where we weren't trying to run out the clock) that started outside our own 10 yard line. The results: 2 TD's 2 fumbles and 2 failed third down conversion by less than a yard each.

We moved the ball well and it's hard to believe that we wouldn't have scored on at least one of the two fumbles(especially Hyde's).

That would put us at 50% scoring when starting outside our own 10 yard line in the game. The New England Patriots have the highest scoring % in the league at 49.2%.

A lot of it comes back to what Anquan Boldin said after the game - "I think we played well in spurts, but we shot ourselves in the foot at times. Three turnovers were definitely detrimental to us on offense. Came out the first drive and felt good about what we were doing, moved the ball up the field pretty easily and we ended up scoring. It felt like we got into a rhythm and then just started making mistakes here and there. That's the thing about offense, it takes all 11 guys to do the job. If one guy doesn't do his job, it breaks down."

They are going to face the #1 defense in the NFL on Thursday, and I hope they execute better than they did in the Washington game, but against the #1 defense in the NFL, I expect them to have similar breakdowns that occurred in the Washington game unfortunately. Still, I expect a win, Seadderall is a weaker team outside of their home, and they do face the #2 defense in the NFL at the #2 defense's home. that's always a good thing!
Originally posted by Marvin49:
I give you Exhibit A.

I say several times he was far from perfect and just about every week say he makes at least one WTF throw a game and I get "Never blames Kap for anything".

Apparently not putting all the blame on Kap equates to giving Kap a free pass. This is precisely the nonsense I'm talking about. Run game averages about 2.5 yards per carry and fumbles twice while the QB averages 8.8 yards PER ATTEMPT despite a few drops...

Kaps fault.

Sigh.

Yet you dont address the horrid clock management that has plagued this offense for a ridiculous amount of time. This offense cant run a two minute drill to save its life.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
We needed the win, so even if it was not a convincing one, I'll take it..
I give you Exhibit A.

Kaps fault.

Sigh.

Yet you dont address the horrid clock management that has plagued this offense for a ridiculous amount of time. This offense cant run a two minute drill to save its life.

Wow. Really?

That's all you got? Was clock management the reason the game was close or was in maybe the 2.5 yards per carry and two fumbles by the RBs?

Hrmmm.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Nov 24, 2014 at 11:22 AM ]
I give you Exhibit A.

Kaps fault.

Sigh.

Wow. Really?

That's all you got? Was clock management the reason the game was close or was in maybe the 2.5 yards per carry and two fumbles by the RBs?

Hrmmm.

I don't understand how people fail to realize that letting the clock wind all the way down is how they run their offense. It is frustrating to watch at times, but they have gotten much better at wasting timeouts
1) Kap: I know what peeps are gonna say...and I'm actually gonna cover this with both #1 and #2 today...but I thought Colin actually played pretty well. The INT sucked, but it was really a "throw it up and take your chances that Anquan beats to rookie to the ball" type throws and the rook made a play. 20 of 29, some frustrating drops (more on that later), 256 yards, TD, INT...all in all....not bad.

I already know there are some of you that are probably annoyed already by that analysis and that's what leads me to #2.

2) 49ers Fans/Bay Area media: Begin Rant - So, I was at the game and I took my pops who just happens to be a Redskins fan. He loves RGIII but is frustrated as all hell by his play this year. He and I spoke before, during and after the game and we came to the same conclusion...49ers fans and Bay Area Media are some of the most spoiled and delusional fans in the NFL. I do not paint the brush over our entire fanbase (and for the most part at least not many in this forum), but there were about 20 times I wanted to turn around and tell a few of the guys behind me to just STFU.

An example: It's halftime. RGIII has like 30 yards passing. Guy behind me is going off on how much Kaepernick sucks and how much he's the source of all our problems. Kaeps statline at that time? 10-14, 155 yards, a TD, and a rating of 131. Its indicative of the stupidity that absolutely drives me crazy. After the game I'm hearing peeps talk about how terrible the offense was. All over the radio people are calling in talking about the playcalling and Kaepernicks troubles. I'm just shaking my head. He was far from perfect, but he was almost their entire offense. Despite at least 3 drops he completed 69% of his passes. I'm listening to the radio on the way to work this morning and all I'm hearing is Chris Townsend talk to Jeff Garcia about Colin Kaepernick. W. T. F. Are we watching the same games?

Meanwhile, Gore and Hyde COMBINED for 20 carries for 52 yards and 2 fumbles. Nope...can't be the run game. After all the solution to all problems is give Frank the ball more, right? The simplistic thinking that Kap is the source of all problems makes me actually NOT want to go to games because people are so incredibly stupid.

They show a graphic on the Jumbotron of Kaps postseason success as a runner and another guy is going off on how Kap doesn't deserve to be on the same screen as Steve Young. I want to smack the guy upside the head. In his first 4 years in the NFL, Steve Young had a combined 24 TDs and 24 INTs. Kap has 46 TDs and 17 INTs. Steve didn't become a full-time starter in SF until his EIGHTH season in the NFL. Even when he WAS the starter, SOOO many couldn't stand the guy because he had the audacity not to be named Joe Montana.

Bottom line, Kap ain't perfect and he's be the first to tell you that, but he is a young, exciting, PROMISING QB and we are freakin' lucky to have him. I wish to hell peeps would stop with all the BS about what he can't do and focus on what he IS doing and what he's improving on. Great throw to Boldin for the TD. Another great throw (and catch) by Crab to get into field goal range at the half. Great throw to Boldin (and again, great catch) on the pass down the seam that got Ryan Clark hurt.

I just wish peeps would STFU with the Kap hate and realize the game is about a lot more than one man. Don't give me this BS about his paycheck or the "the QB gets all the blame" cliché BS. That stuff is just the simple minded way to try and make a complex issue simple when it ain't simple at all.

End Rant.

3) Gore/Hyde: On the topic of who is struggling...as I said before, 20 carries for 56 yards, 2 fumbles and a TD. A few things to say on this...Gore isn't Gore anymore. He'll find a crease from time to time, but he's just not the same guy anymore. Love him. He's probably my favorite Niner of all time...but he's just not the same. Hyde still has the same problem with running into the line...but they really seem to have something when they run the read option with him. When the DE is forced to make that choice which creates space, Hyde hit that hole so hard that there's no time to recover. That's what happened on that walk in TD. We need to see MORE of those read options to Hyde.

4) Vernon: I'm at a loss for words. Its like his head is in the clouds. No idea what's going on there.

5) Anquan: Thank god for Anquan Boldin. Thank you Balimore for your unbelievable stupidity. Anquan Boldin has been an absolute Godsend. I was a bit disappointed to see him not really make a big effort at the ball on the INT, but he made up for that in spades the rest of the game. In particular, that seam rout. WOW. He got blasted and Ryan Clark just bounced off him. I never thought we'd get so much out of him this late in his career. The guy looks like he could play another 5 years. Unreal.

6) Parrish Cox: Please God, bring Bruce Ellington back. He's not a great return man at the moment, but at least he appears to have heard of a Fair Catch.

7) Harbaugh: I just have to give it up for that ballsy move of going for it on 4th down on that game-winning drive. Run game had been stifled all day...and they called a fairly long developing run play that very nearly got blown the hell up by Brandon Meriweather as Mike Iupati ran right past him. If Frank doesn't make a cut in the backfield he wouldn't have picked it up. Still tho...ballsy as all hell and a move that I think was more about the realization that it wasn't just the game on the line...it might very well have been the SEASON on the line.

8) Aldon Smith: Thank You, thank you, thank you. A Pass rush AT LAST. He presence doesn't only help because HE can provide pressure, but he frees up everyone else on that line. He's back and he's the same guy he was before. The two sacks were impressive, but there were a few times he got some crazy pressure. On RGIIIs completion to Garcon, I didn't even see the catch because all I was watching was Aldon completely jack up the TE running across the formation to block him. Aldon stood him up and shoved him all the way back into RGIIIs lap. GREAT to have him back.

9) Lynch/Borland watch: First off Lynch got robbed. I dunno if you could do twice what happened to him on the penalty. His helmet hit Reids helmet which bonced like a queue ball into RGIIIs head. That rule needs to be modified. No intent whatsoever and just a wild circumstance. It was even the BACK of Reids helmet that hit RGIII. Anyway, that was a great rush and he got yet another sack on top of it. 4 Sacks (should have been 5) in the last 5 games. He actually TIED with Anthony Barr for the rookie lead. Not bad for a 5th round pick.

Borland was a bit quieter than in past weeks. He had a few really good plays, but he also guessed wrong a few times, got caught up in the wash a bit, and got absolutely juked out of his shoes once by Morris in the whole. That's OK tho...he was bound to come back to earth at some point...and he still led the team in tackles and got at least one TFL.

10) NFC West: Figures. I finally get to the point that I want Arizona to WIN....and NOW they lose. LOL. I guess just gotta let it all play out and stop worrying so much about what the rest of the division does. I keep saying that here every week...and then on Sundays I drive myself crazy rooting one way or the other.

Couple points. I think ppl complain and whine about Kaep because:
1. Washington sucks (last week same story with Giants) and yet he cant drive the offense down to score points. The QB will always take the blame. So what do we expect vs a solid team? We shall see Thursday.
2. Vernon shouldnt be on the field other than to block. i have said this for at least a month, the guy is done.Gone is the speed, hands, and mental ability. I would rather see Carrier or COUGH Vance in there to see what they can do and surprise some teams.
3. Run game - We need to run the ball in some different formations. Running plays seem obvious when they are called based on how we line up.
4. THe Def is playing very well and i look forward to crush Wilson Thursday. Borland vs Lynch should be interesting.
5. Boldin - Without this guy even last year we would be ranked 32nd on offense. He is the only WR that can consistently get open and that i trust.

I said this before the game, we do not have a high scoring offense PERIOD. Looking for Kaep to have 300 yds, 3TDS passing isnt happening. We need to score 20 pts a game and i think we can win 4 of 5 or even 5 of 5 down the stretch. If we score less, we are in trouble.
  • AZ9er
  • Veteran
Great post as usual Marvin.

I'm a big Kap supporter but come on Marv. He hasn't been very good this season. I realize that the entire offense has been bad but the clock management issues and holding the ball has gotten worse. He's been playing to long and has played in way too many games to keep making the same mistakes over and over. Coaching has also been a large part of the problem but you can point to a number of QB s across the league that are doing more with less. No sugar coating it. Kap needs to elevate his game. If he can do that the running game will come around. One way or another they need to figure out how to get the extra defenders out of the box. They're not crowding the line of scrimmage because Kap is awesome that's for sure.

• thl408
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Originally posted by thl408:
Good write up as always. The three turnovers hurt bad. I thought two were preventable, the Hyde fumble was a very good defensive play. The Gore fumble was preventable because Gore should have been carrying that ball with his left hand, not his right hand where it's closer to where all the defenders are coming from. Kap threw it to Boldin when Boldin was not open.

The 49ers came into the game looking for the big pass play. First play of the game to Crabs where it came within 2 inches of connecting, then later on the drive with Boldin's TD catch. I thought that was actually a bad thing in the long run as there were times they looked to go deep and nothing was really there. There was the INT, the play where SJ had to play CB to break up an INT, then several times where it seemed Kap was looking deep downfield, saw nothing, and the play broke down. They need to understand that the deep connection to Boldin was an anomaly, not the norm - especially with VD not being the same speed threat we are used to.

The WAS ground game was chugging along and it seemed to be a result of missed tackles more so than the Dline being blown off the ball. Morris is a tough runner, but not as tough as Lynch. They need to fix that issue fast. RG3 is horrible and how he led that TD drive in the 2Q was a bit of a shock. He quickly reverted back to his normal self.

Someone mentioned that the WAS defense isn't as bad as their team record may indicate. They're actually tied for 7th best in the league giving up 3.8 rush yards per carry. With ADavis being out, I guess we shouldn't be too surprised the 49er run game was kept under wraps.

I am interested to see your film reviews this week. There were a few times where it looked like Dial was completely blown off the ball, and Morris was running full speed by the time anyone hit him. It looked like we were really seeing the effects of Williams and Dorsey being out.

I will look for that. I haven't re-watched the game and you could very well be right that defenders (Dial) were being blown off the ball. I just know that missed tackles were a culprit in some of those Morris runs. Whether missed tackles were the main culprit or not, I am now unsure of.
I give you Exhibit A.

Kaps fault.

Sigh.

That is an interesting point - that out of everything to take away from the game - the two minute drill is pointed as a source of woes and not 5 drives started inside our own 10 yard line, 2 fumbles from RB's, 3 WR drops, an INT, our defense allowing over 100 yards to a RB(which, in turn, affected TOP - we came in to the game 3rd in the NFL in TOP but barely won the TOP battle by less than a minute).

It does show how the fanbase seems to feel entitled to offensive perfection and that we lay blame where it is easiest or most comfortable.
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Good write up as always. The three turnovers hurt bad. I thought two were preventable, the Hyde fumble was a very good defensive play. The Gore fumble was preventable because Gore should have been carrying that ball with his left hand, not his right hand where it's closer to where all the defenders are coming from. Kap threw it to Boldin when Boldin was not open.

The 49ers came into the game looking for the big pass play. First play of the game to Crabs where it came within 2 inches of connecting, then later on the drive with Boldin's TD catch. I thought that was actually a bad thing in the long run as there were times they looked to go deep and nothing was really there. There was the INT, the play where SJ had to play CB to break up an INT, then several times where it seemed Kap was looking deep downfield, saw nothing, and the play broke down. They need to understand that the deep connection to Boldin was an anomaly, not the norm - especially with VD not being the same speed threat we are used to.

The WAS ground game was chugging along and it seemed to be a result of missed tackles more so than the Dline being blown off the ball. Morris is a tough runner, but not as tough as Lynch. They need to fix that issue fast. RG3 is horrible and how he led that TD drive in the 2Q was a bit of a shock. He quickly reverted back to his normal self.

Someone mentioned that the WAS defense isn't as bad as their team record may indicate. They're actually tied for 7th best in the league giving up 3.8 rush yards per carry. With ADavis being out, I guess we shouldn't be too surprised the 49er run game was kept under wraps.

I am interested to see your film reviews this week. There were a few times where it looked like Dial was completely blown off the ball, and Morris was running full speed by the time anyone hit him. It looked like we were really seeing the effects of Williams and Dorsey being out.

I will look for that. I haven't re-watched the game and you could very well be right that defenders (Dial) were being blown off the ball. I just know that missed tackles were a culprit in some of those Morris runs. Whether missed tackles were the main culprit or not, I am now unsure of.
I would agree - from what I saw, it didn't seem like we did a good job of maintaining our gaps off-tackle - which is a concern, but fixable.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
You know, I really think that we should consider a NY Giant like "speed 4".. the NYG team that beat the undefeated Patriots.. they inserted 4 DE to rush the passer.. ... I often see McDonald out of gas when rushing the passer, so maybe, we should rotate the DL more often.. and when it's an obvious passing down, we should try and isert our version of "SPEED 4"..

we can line up have this line up:

OLB - Brooks

DT - Lynch

DT - Justin

DE - Aldon

.. and we can have them on a snake rotation each and every down so that we can also find out which match up vs OL would be best..
calls fanbase delusional yet never blames Kap for anything

Anyways i'lll address the glaring issue from yesterdays game...

This team was losing to a horrible Redskins team late into the 4th quarter while the defense had given up only 13 points. That is a joke

The defense has held the Giants and Redskins to 23 combined points and theyre still having to bail out this horrific offense at the end of the game

I give you Exhibit A.

Kaps fault.

Sigh.

Amazing, isn't it. 20 for 29 is a 68.9% completion rate. During a "gotta have it" fourth quarter drive with 4 minutes remaining he throws such a perfect 29-yard pass to Boldin that it couldn't have been closer if he had run down the field and handed it to him. Boldin is just incredible, but he doesn't hold on to that thing unless it's perfectly placed in the basket right there. That's clutch throwing, catching and everything.

Defense played a good game but allowed Morris to run for 126 yards so I would call it a great game. The secondary played an amazing game and was greatly aided by a real good pass rush. Offense was mediocre again, but on the other hand, they put together an 80 yard come from behind touchdown drive with time running down in the fourth quarter and some fans are going to call that "horrific offense at the end of the game." I really don't get that.
Share 49ersWebzone