LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 296 users in the forums

We Need a new 1st team TE

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Any chance the Saints want to do a straight up trade, VD for Jimmy Graham? Davis is suuper fast and reaaally strong! Did I mention he's really strong?

In all seriousness, we need a basketball-type big man who can catch... with his hands. Any decent prospects you guys see?
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Wut
We need new posters to start new threads...
Bring back the real #85
Davis is putting that 85 to shame

Greg Clark baby!!!

Crazy proposal. But I do believe the 49ers need to look into drafting a TE. They don't even need to be remarkably athletic. Just someone with reliable hands. After a year in this system, we can make a decision going forward as to whether or not to resign Vernon Davis (after the 2015 season) or roll with a young guy, Vance McDonald, Carrier, and Millard.
Originally posted by kwest49er:
Any chance the Saints want to do a straight up trade, VD for Jimmy Graham? Davis is suuper fast and reaaally strong! Did I mention he's really strong?

In all seriousness, we need a basketball-type big man who can catch... with his hands. Any decent prospects you guys see?

The big problem, and one of the main reasons I think that this offense is struggling, is that VD is the only true vertical threat as a receiver. He's the only guy with enough speed to really worry defenses and with him not playing up to his normal standards whether due to injury or whatever....that makes it so much easier for opposing defenses. Whether a TE or a WR, this team needs a guy who can get down the field in a hurry, who has homerun type speed where if they beat the defender off the line, its pretty much all she wrote. That is the biggest hole I see on this offense, so its not a shock to see the offense struggling when VD isn't up to par, think about how bad it looked last year when he was out.
DEFINITELY thread worthy. What a groundbreaking subject.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
The big problem, and one of the main reasons I think that this offense is struggling, is that VD is the only true vertical threat as a receiver. He's the only guy with enough speed to really worry defenses and with him not playing up to his normal standards whether due to injury or whatever....that makes it so much easier for opposing defenses. Whether a TE or a WR, this team needs a guy who can get down the field in a hurry, who has homerun type speed where if they beat the defender off the line, its pretty much all she wrote. That is the biggest hole I see on this offense, so its not a shock to see the offense struggling when VD isn't up to par, think about how bad it looked last year when he was out.

Outside of the playcalling :-), yes the lack of a true vertical threat is a big issue. I mentioned play calling because the routes that Crabtree and Boldin would excel at, we don't call. Knowing Roman's backward ways of thinking, we would probably misuse our vertical threat in some way. Nevertheless, Baalke must address this issue in the draft as well as doing what I mentioned earlier, taking a reliable pass catching TE.

• xcfan
  • Veteran
just play carrier. the guy has very good on-field athleticism.
In before the , please
You guys can talk all the s**t you want but if by the end if the year if VD don't turn it around.... Then the OP has asked a valid question.
Seriously? You think they might trade Graham for Davis?
Originally posted by LZRD_WZRD:
Seriously? You think they might trade Graham for Davis?

No not a trade for Graham... Sorry should have added this to my post.., they need to draft a basketball type tight end.
Share 49ersWebzone