LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 260 users in the forums

What is the problem with our offense?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What is the problem with our offense?

Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
There are so many things that simply doesn't make sense and don't seem that difficult to overcome despite some of our shortcomings. A quality OC would tailor the play calling in such a way that plays to the teams strengths and can take advantage of what defense are doing against us.

This! The few times we just took a 2-second quick pass and gained 8-9 yards, I was screaming, "Simple! See, just continue to make simple, quick positive gains on 1st downs and now you've got the whole playbook open on 2nd downs and you aren't predictable!" It's just SOOOO simple yet, we're constantly going for very very low % passes, even on 4th and 2 and often times, with the wrong personnel to do it from. CB's are playing 10 yards off while stacking the box and run blitzing? Great, quick-outs all day long with our BIG WR's who can get RAC and who are not easy to bring down! If Lloyd doesn't make that amazing sideline catch, the Redskins get a crack at scoring 3 going the other way just before half-time. That wasn't the worst call but I'm using it to illustrate HaRoman's mentality AFTER a T.O.

If all these patterns are laid out in front of you and you see the same exact issues by all (whole OL can't pass protect against a 9-man stacked run blitzing box, players are pressing and dropping balls left and right, CK is scrambling for his life, you're going backwards on 1st downs, you're even worse in the RZ, etc.) you fix them with play calling. Period. And then you practice those plays until perfected. You provide options/outlets on every level for you QB. How many times did you hear the commentors say, "CK is scrambling here but looking down field, there just isn't anyone to throw too." Well no sh!t, our play calling is all-or-nothing and so many routes are intermediate-deeper routes, by the time they even realize CK is on the run, it's too late!

Proper coaching, play designs and repitition can correct ever single one of our "issues." Issues many of these players never had anywhere else BTW (i.e. drops by Lloyd in NE, Boldin in Baltimore, Johnson in Buffalo, etc.).
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 24, 2014 at 7:10 AM ]
We have so much talent... and its sad to say its being waisted
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I think we lack a stretch the field Wr in our offense. Kap is basically looking to Boldin the whole game.
Originally posted by mayo49:
I think we lack a stretch the field Wr in our offense. Kap is basically looking to Boldin the whole game.

The fact that Boldin is our "go to" guy tells u all you need to know about why our offense can't explode like other teams.
I think JH/Roman are mentally incapable of change.

They are so stuck in some Bizzaro world that they can't escape.

Like some very old guy who won't take directions because he knows how to get somewhere and continues to go nowhere.

VERY Depressing.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
roman and his play calls... enabled by JH,, we need 7 and we call plays that gain 4
the offensive line
vernon davis

that last one was tough to say for me but i am not blind after more drops yesterday
and more more stevie johnson is needed , though boldin and crabs had nice games yesterday,, more stevie is needed in my opinion
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
49ers and Balke NEED to bring in a TRUE #1 WR who strikes FEAR into defenses the way Dez, Calvin, Larry, Antonio Brown, AJ GReene. Someone of that magnitude to back defenses up and give kap and the running game room to run. Its kinda embarrassing when your Best Deep threat is a TE 8 years running! Quan is a possession WR as is Crabtree and as is Stevie and Lloyd to me is too one dimensional run the go and that's it.
when stevie is on the field he is a difference maker, why he has not been used as of late,, ahhh
The problem with offsense is a lot of things:

1) Lack of passion or effort on part of a few of the players - Vernon Davis, Michael Crabtree for example

2) Lack of separation of the wide receivers

3) Lack of ball distribution - Boldin seems to be only one making plays on the receiving end

4) Lack of contribution by the tight ends - see #3. Vance McDonald, Vernon Davis are invisible

5) Calling the wrong the plays at the wrong time

6) Lack of a variety and creativity of plays - Offense is a vanilla ice cream cone on a summer vacation for defense coordinators. No screen passes, throwing over the middle to running back, reverses for example, no deep threat

7) Poor execution - lots of dropped passes, inaccurate throws
Its pretty hard to move the ball effectively when the opposing defense knows exactly what play you are going to run. You could hear the Skins defense calling out the upcoming play several times yesterday. "Here it comes."! "Its coming!" etc...
Although i couldn't agreemore that are offense cant get in sinc this season wins are wins watch us blow out seattle which no one will expect.Here comes arizona's decline and detriots yearly collaspe.We will win the division mark my words although we should go back to candlestick that new stadium has given us no home field advantage yet this year.lol

Niners are either unable or unwilling (or both) to imposing their will on defenses with the run and as a result teams are not scared of the rush, allowing them to better defend the passing game. This combined with an apparently simpler scheme than they used to run and a real lack of creative play-calling, and you have a recipe for offensive ineptitude. I thought Kap played pretty well yesterday, but when you're always in 3rd and long you're putting too much pressure on him. Oh, and still almost completely useless play from the Tight Ends. What happened to Carrier?

This team needs to figure s**t out fast with the Hawks coming to town looking for blood, and they might be the best D they niners have faced all year.
[ Edited by KowboyKiller on Nov 24, 2014 at 9:36 AM ]
Originally posted by jimmythegreekjr:
The problem with offsense is a lot of things:

1) Lack of passion or effort on part of a few of the players - Vernon Davis, Michael Crabtree for example

2) Lack of separation of the wide receivers

3) Lack of ball distribution - Boldin seems to be only one making plays on the receiving end

4) Lack of contribution by the tight ends - see #3. Vance McDonald, Vernon Davis are invisible

5) Calling the wrong the plays at the wrong time

6) Lack of a variety and creativity of plays - Offense is a vanilla ice cream cone on a summer vacation for defense coordinators. No screen passes, throwing over the middle to running back, reverses for example, no deep threat

7) Poor execution - lots of dropped passes, inaccurate throws

Pretty much sums it all up right there. Just overall complacency in being mediocre.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
New blood are needed ASAP!!!

Patton for Lloyd

Carrier for VD

Hyde for Gore

More time for Stevie-J..

Looney for Iupati
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9moon:
New blood are needed ASAP!!!

Patton for Lloyd

Carrier for VD

Hyde for Gore

More time for Stevie-J..

Looney for Iupati
only gore could have gotten that first down on fourth down.
Originally posted by NCommand:
This! The few times we just took a 2-second quick pass and gained 8-9 yards, I was screaming, "Simple! See, just continue to make simple, quick positive gains on 1st downs and now you've got the whole playbook open on 2nd downs and you aren't predictable!" It's just SOOOO simple yet, we're constantly going for very very low % passes, even on 4th and 2 and often times, with the wrong personnel to do it from. CB's are playing 10 yards off while stacking the box and run blitzing? Great, quick-outs all day long with our BIG WR's who can get RAC and who are not easy to bring down! If Lloyd doesn't make that amazing sideline catch, the Redskins get a crack at scoring 3 going the other way just before half-time. That wasn't the worst call but I'm using it to illustrate HaRoman's mentality AFTER a T.O.

If all these patterns are laid out in front of you and you see the same exact issues by all (whole OL can't pass protect against a 9-man stacked run blitzing box, players are pressing and dropping balls left and right, CK is scrambling for his life, you're going backwards on 1st downs, you're even worse in the RZ, etc.) you fix them with play calling. Period. And then you practice those plays until perfected. You provide options/outlets on every level for you QB. How many times did you hear the commentors say, "CK is scrambling here but looking down field, there just isn't anyone to throw too." Well no sh!t, our play calling is all-or-nothing and so many routes are intermediate-deeper routes, by the time they even realize CK is on the run, it's too late!

Proper coaching, play designs and repitition can correct ever single one of our "issues." Issues many of these players never had anywhere else BTW (i.e. drops by Lloyd in NE, Boldin in Baltimore, Johnson in Buffalo, etc.).

Yes Yes Yes!!!!
Share 49ersWebzone