LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 222 users in the forums

Frank Gore vs. Jamaal Charles

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Gore... He consistent and most importantly has heart... you cant buy heart and very few players have it. Gore hands down
All of the list you guys keep making you keep leaving off the best RB ever.

BO JACKSON

If he played one sport and didn't get hurt.
Say he had a 12yr career could you imagine the numbers he would've put up

BO JACKSON

Originally posted by InsertNameHere:

BO JACKSON

yeah, if he lasted it would have caused world peace
Originally posted by TJA85:
Gore edges out Charles in almost every single RB category in terms of strength, vision, blitz pick-up, etc. Charles beats him in speed, and their catching ability is tied in my opinion (people forget how great of a catcher Gore was out of the backfield).

I remember when we first drafted Gore, I asked someone on here if he could ever be a solid pass-catching back. They basically said he would never possess that skillset. I'm so glad he proved them wrong.
Originally posted by znk916:
I think it's a disservice to Frank to automatically rank him outside the top 20. His career is nowhere near over for one thing.

I think it's all very subjective once you get past the holy trinity of Brown, Payton and Sanders.

Among his contemporaries, Gore is clearly behind Peterson and Tomlinson.

Cohn Jr. just compared Frank's stats to OJ btw.
QUESTION: Is Frank Gore a Hall of Famer?

ANSWER: Yes. Gore and O.J. Simpson have almost identical statistics, and O.J. is a Hall of Famer. He played 11 seasons and rushed for 11,236 yards (4.7 yards per carry) and 61 touchdowns. Gore is in his 10th season and has rushed for 10,615 yards (4.5 yards per carry) and 62 touchdowns. No one would say Gore is better than O.J., but essentially they had the same career.

Can you imagine what the 49ers would be without Gore?
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/sports/3149575-181/grant-cohn-five-questions-for?page=2

You can't do the by the numbers comparison using guys who played three decades apart. It is subjective however past the three guys you named, but after those three, I'd take OJ, Earl Campbell, Gale Sayers, Eric Dickerson, Marcus Allen, Marshall Faulk, Peterson, Tomlison, Terrell Davis (I don't think I've seen his name yet)and a few others over Gore. I think the mere fact that we can only mention some of the best of the best speaks volumes about Gore's career.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by InsertNameHere:

BO JACKSON

yeah, if he lasted it would have caused world peace

Cool story bro....
Originally posted by znk916:
Frank's a special player, but I don't think people understand how historically good JC is. His yards per carry is simply on a different level from anyone else to ever play the game (yes, including Jim Brown and Barry Sanders).

http://tinyurl.com/p26vg82

This. Gore is great but Jamaal might go down as one of the best of all time.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Comparison of first 6 seasons as pros (since jamaal has only had 6 full seasons as a pro)

Frank 6,414 Rushing yards 35 rushing tds - 2,283 rec yards 9 rec tds - Total 8,697 yards 44 tds

Jamaal 5,823 rushing yards 29 rushing tds - 1,975 rec yards 14 rec tds - Total 7,798 43 tds
Isn't it interesting how people conveniently leave out statistics that shed an opposing team's player in a better light than a 49er, or go against a point they are trying to make? How many times do people compare running backs and leave out YPC? By the way Charles career ypc is 5.5 Gore's is 4.5.

Before you go raving about Charle's Yards per Carry remember the differences. How many of his yards were racked up against defenses playing 8 in the box as compared to Gore? How many times did Charles slam into a goal line defense trying to pick a 1 yard for a TD or a 1st down? Pick up 2 yards on 3rd and 1 and it's a great run that moves the chains but it also drops your YPC average. Gore has consistantly been asked to get the tough yards while Charles has been set up for bigger gains. Didn't LMJ have a bigger YPC average than Gore? He did as a rookie. Guess we should have cut Gore and started LMJ.

Gore is asked to do a lot more tough running than Charles is and he never got a chance to play in a good offense that could take the pressure off him while in his prime yet he still put up the numbers. For years defenses were focused on Gore because they knew we couldn't hurt them with anything else. They loaded up the box. They have never done that to try and stop Charles because they have too many weapons to sell out just to stop him.

Gore can get big yards. He is a great receiver. He can get the tough yards and he can pick up the blitz. And, he was even more dynamic in his prime.

Charles can get the big yards running or receiving just like Gore could especially in his prime but he can't get the tough yards like Gore can and he can't block the way Gore does.
It isn't like Kansas City has had prolific passers during Charles's career to take the pressure of the running game. When I explain some stats aren't what they seem I get ripped to shreds, how come that argument is all of a sudden valid if people are using it to bring an opposing team's player down? Anybody who wasn't a full on homer would admit that a 5.5 career ypc puts a running back on the short list of all time greats to play the position, even if he played in a division that had the worst average rushing defense in the NFL, and half his lineman were perennial pro bowlers.
Charles is a great back and so is Gore. I am not quoting stats. The point I was making was defenses have never sold out just to stop Charles where they have repeatedly loaded up the box to stop Gore. Most 49er fans think our passing attack sucks. But it is the best passing attack we have had in Gore's career, by far, and it sucks. It was far worse when Gore was in his prime.

Add to that Gore is used in short yardage situations to pick up the tough yards and Charles seldom is sent to slam up the middle to get a yard or two to move the sticks.

They are both great backs. Gore belongs in the HOF one day and if Charles can keep it up he will belong there to but don't go selling Gore short because his yards per carry average is less becuase he was asked to get the tougher yards and to run in to defenses when the box was loaded far more than Charles ever was. That tends to bring down your yards per carry average.

• THEB
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dangerbird:
I remember when we first drafted Gore, I asked someone on here if he could ever be a solid pass-catching back. They basically said he would never possess that skillset. I'm so glad he proved them wrong.

You joined in 2012....Gore was drafted in 2005...
Share 49ersWebzone