LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 283 users in the forums

Should we blow up the O line?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Should we blow up the O line?

Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Didn't see anyone moving Staley to center...? That would be interesting.

If "interesting" means a really terrible move then I would agree.
[ Edited by NinerSickness on Nov 20, 2014 at 11:49 PM ]
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
Didn't see anyone moving Staley to center...? That would be interesting.

If "interesting" means a really terrible move then I would agree.

Exactly...collect two hundred dollars and pass Go!
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Please stop with the "move guys to positions they have never played before" crap because that doesn't work.

The line doesn't need a complete overhaul, just a few changes that may involve Pro Bowlers in the middle of the line.

Iupati is a Pro Bowl guard and a complete mauler in the run game. His pass protection is spotty at best. We have a former LT in Brandon Thomas waiting in the wings recovering from a torn ACL who could slide into that spot if the Niners don't want to pay Iupati huge money as a free agent at the end of the season. That move alone would help from a pass protection standpoint and a salary cap perspective.

Boone got paid because of his holdout and should be still be here next year because his new deal doesn't break the bank. Again, Boone is a mauler in the run game, but whiffs way too often in pass protection. Marcus Martin is showing very well at Center in place of Kilgore (......except for some shaky snaps) and he could sub in for Boone if his pass protection continues to deteriorate.

Problem solved.

So people should stop suggesting moves but you suggest "a few changes?" I guess changes and moves are not the same thing? Not sure I get that.

Thomas and Davis both played G and T in college. They were both the best lineman on their teams, which is why they played LT. Moving Thomas to G makes sense and he was drafted as a G. Davis was very similar, but somewhat higher rated. Moving him to G makes just as much sense particularly if he played well in college and Boone is a much better T than G.

The key to an effective line is versatility and having cross trained players really helps in that regard. Knowing each other's assignments builds camaraderie and cohesion. So having three or four guys who can play center is great--Kilgore, M Martin, Looney and Farrell (or a draft pick).

I really hate the disparity in pay for the different line positions because it tends to lock players into a single spot and limits versatility. I don't blame Boone for wanting to move to his more natural position when it would mean a raise. Centers tend to be grossly underpaid in my opinion.

This move Anthony Davis to guard talk makes a lot more sense. I did not know that he played guard at Rutgers. I am curious as to how the line would look with the lineup of Staley-Thomas or Looney-Martin or Kilogre-Davis-Boone. I only left Mike Iupati out because I don't expect him to return next season.
Share 49ersWebzone